Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

www.irishbroadband.ie problems: who else is still having them?

• 08-03-2004 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭

Ongoing slow download speeds (as slow as 3KB/s) and high pings (1000-2000ms) for the past month. Have been on the phone to them lots of times and wrote a letter of complaint. Still nothing has changed.

Who else is experiencing this problem and has anyone had any success in getting the problem fixed?

Would really like to stay with IBB if they can get their sh1t together but am really p1ssed off at this stage. Thinking of cancelling my contract and going with IOL.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I'm getting fantastic latency off IBB, and have been for the past while, although I've noticed that downloads off random websites (specifically .exe files, so it's not a blanket binary download issue) are non-existant or brutally bad (ie. verging on non-existant). This ONLY happens when I attempt to download a .exe file. Never during program updates, online gaming, file transfer or downloading just about anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

What high site are you using Lemming?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

I'm on the 5.8 service off Guinmness and have to say its been great. Only problem has been the last few days, but it looks like that is some other issue (see slooooooow thread).

Before u give up on them, ask to get the 5.8/vlan service. They prolly wouldn't want to do it cos its normally for business customers, but if all else has failed...

C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by HelterSkelter
    What high site are you using Lemming?

I'm running the standard Breeze kit off the 3-rock mountain transmitters

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭eirmail

We have irishbroadband and we usually get 20KB/second.
    We are connected to the Guinness brewery site.
    We only got this installed in mid January and it has always been about the same,

• Advertisement

eirmail - thats not great really (only bout 160 Kbps). Could you try the heanet link above and tell us what u get? What service r u on?

Colm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

my speeds are normally maxed-im often round 50/60k but have had a load of other problems with them and found them impossible to deal with.have rang over 10 times and they promise to call back every time but never do.ive emailed a ton of times as well but nothing.dire dire dire customer service/

Phibsboro

I am on the home breeze package 512/512 with a contention ratio of 20:1 ( supposedly).The one big question I have about contention ratios is that how do you know what contentio ratio you have.Are you meant to take these companies at their word? I will be at home later and i will check that site you asked me to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 seawolf1540

I got IBB connection at start of jan and it was awful service form day 1. Huge ping times 1000-2000 and download speeds of around 10kbs.

On the very first week i ran IBB and asked them to extend my "cool off period" for 1 more week until they got the problem sorted out.

I kept on doing this every week for the last 2 months and 2 weeks ago i told them i was not happy with the service and to come and disconnect it. Because i was still in my extended "cool off" period i didnt have to pay a penny.

If your think about going with IBB i use this tatic to make sure you get something your happy with.

Eventually got IOL BB and am very happy with it..

Thats a weird situation to be in with IBB - to be bad from day I mean. My installers (who were contractors) said that they had to hit not only a certain signal strength but also a cetain ping level. They also checked my actual download speed from one of the speed sites (it was a cool irish site that I can't remember the url of - it began with L I think? it has a cool graphic of a figure running as the test takes place - anyone know what it is?).

I'm not the sure the download test was a requirement but they defo gave the impression that the signal strength and the ping test were. I got ok pings and good download speed on the day and this has remained since then. I got it in Feb so maybe things have tightened up between Jan and Feb (or maybe I just got better installers).

Colm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Silent Assasin

Im still having Problems Aswell, Im on the Guinness Highsite, With the 8-1 contention and I havent been able to download anything over 20kbs in the last 2 months...

And when I say 20kbs I was only able to get that on their own test FTP site
    ftp://mon.irishbroadband.ie

My 1 year contract is nearly up and altough I want to stay with IBB im not going to put up with a rank connection for the sake of it.

Originally posted by Silent Assasin
    Im still having Problems Aswell, Im on the Guinness Highsite, With the 8-1 contention and I havent been able to download anything over 20kbs in the last 2 months...

And when I say 20kbs I was only able to get that on their own test FTP site
    ftp://mon.irishbroadband.ie

I'm testing my connection with the same site downloading the 10meg.iso file. 11KB/s last night and avg ping of 300ms to my gateway. I have had downloads as slow as 3KB/s and pings as high as 3000ms in the last month.

They are supposed to be working on sorting my connection today. They asked me to leave the computer on all day.

If I get no satisfaction very soon I'll demand they cancel my contract and give me back the installation fee and one months charge. As far as I'm concerned they are not providing the service they sold me and I'll go to the small claims court if necessary.

it seems to me that either they are excellent or crap, When i first got installed I thought they were brillant but now its crap even browsing the web is septic...

And to top it all off I finally get a good enough PC to play the latest games and what happens the ping goes out the window !

The guy im dealing with in IBB is john

What about yourself helter skelter ?

Assasin, I was dealing with John at first, then he always seemed to be "on a call" anytime I called. Next it was Dermot. Now afer writing a letter of complaint I'm dealing with a guy in there who is a member of the board (won't name names) so hopefully he can sort it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

I got IBB a few weeks ago, and things were pretty good at the beginning.

However, for the past while pings have generally been over 600ms, and downloads vary wildly. Actually, the 600ms pings are just the ones that make it, with a lage amount of them being dropped. I tried to download files from their ftp site, but it failed every time.

On the other hand, I haven't got around to calling them yet, so there is still hope? I've heard mixed reports of what they are like to deal with, but it does seem that they are unlikely to respond to email?

Taking a step into the future that hopefully won't happen, where do we stand on breaking the contract we signed given bad conditions?

Zab.

Let us know how u get on please will you ?

Will do.

Zab, I reckon we can get away with breaking the contract. They are not providing the service they sold us. As far as I can make out, the lowest guaranteed download speed is approx 8KB/s if you are on 8:1 contention. I have been getting below this. People on IOL & Eircom have 48:1 contention and they get much better download speeds. If we break the contract I reckon they would not have a leg to stand on if it went to small claims court.

The internet connectivity was especiall bad last night , we are connected to the guiness brewery site and we got speeds of 5KB/second that's similar to a normal dial up connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭proteus

I don't think they have a problem with people cancelling their contract. I was having the same problems as above and after two months of constantly phoning and emailing them I deceided to switch to eircom. I think they are happy to lose the problem cases as they just can't deal with them. I would recommend keeping a log of the problems you are having and when they occur as evidence of poor service and when you do cancel the contract, make sure to cancel your direct debit in the bank.
    (just in case...;)

The eircom connection is great by the way.

Seawolf:

Did you actually get your installation charge back?

Good pings and good speeds for once:

http://members.boards.ie/jabba/good%20speeds.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Well, things got a lot better for me at about 10 last night, and so far seem to have stayed better.

What sort of pings do people expect? Downloads are going to vary due to contention (not as much as they did for me recently, but some variation is expected), but I see no reason for pings to jump over 600ms on a little used line? I gather that wireless is going to be erratic, so I don't expect continious 40ms pings, but at what level would you think of complaining?

On the contention issue, if your contention "guarantees" 8KB/s, how long do you expect to actually only have 8KB/s? This is pretty low, and the 20:1 package would only have 3.2KB/s, which would be worse than I used to get on dialup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

I've just been playing UT2k4Demo on jolt (ping http://clarity.jolt.co.uk) with pings of 500+ :( also downloading from HEAnet @ speeds of 10kb/sec. seeing as the HEAnet server is in dublin i dont find this aceptable. Averaging 452 to my gateway and tech support is now closed for the weekend
    :mad:

I'm on 3rock btw, home breeze plus package

Our speeds are quite good today we are connected to the guinness brewery site and we are getting speeds between 400 and 440 kb/s

Originally posted by Q_Ball
    also downloading from HEAnet @ speeds of 10kb/sec. seeing as the HEAnet server is in dublin i dont find this aceptable.

What/who/where is HEAnet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

They contacted me today and said they can't resolve the problems. They are going to de-install it :-(

thats a load of crap....how long have u had it installed ?
    Are they going to give u a refund of your installation fee ?

thats a load of crap....how long have u had it installed ?
    Are they going to give u a refund of your installation fee ?

They better! I'll have to call them tomorrow to find out.

Advertisement