Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old skool consol

Options
  • 08-03-2004 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭

i want to get a pre playstation1 consol.

i was thinking an Atari jaguar or sega saturn of maybe a dreamcast.

advice on which one to get and where to get em please

also, where do buy games for said consoles without massive exspense.

cheers

f.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Dreamcast is pre-playstation 1??? :confused:

Best bet would be to stick up a post on the wanted board, and see if there's anyone willing to part with something that might just be taking up space. For a reasonable fee, obviously.

Games, I'd imagine the same deal.
    Find someone who has a load of old junk in abundance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Snes - Best console ever imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Saga mega drive is and always will be a great console. Its so much better than N64 or any of the playstations dreamcast gamecube or any of those new 1s.

N64 was good only for goldeneye.
    The others are just crap.

Once sagamega drive was out of date i went and stayed PC.
    I still remember my first pc (this was up 2 date at the time) Wang 2mb ram!

Get a saga mine broke so i have to play all old skool games with emulators and they suck :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Saga eh

What games on it outshine the n64 - Goldeneye, Mario 64, Yoshis Island, Mario Kart 64, Zelda (OOT+Majoras)

Also SNES : Mario Allstars, Mario Kart, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 5

If i had to choose one, id go for N64, 4 joypads + Goldeneye, Mario Kart 64, andthe other games mentioned

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

The SNES is the obvious choice here. Huge catalogue of great games, most of which are very easy (and cheap) to pick up even today. Plus you'll be able to experience the origins of many of today's popular game series.

A Dreamcast might be a better choice if you're not used to the 'retro' experience - some people don't appreciate going back to 2D. The Dreamcast has a decent catalogue of good games, easily found for under a tenner each. The quality of graphics and sound are often on a par with PS2 and GameCube.

Originally posted by User45701
    N64 was good only for goldeneye.

You obviously never owned an N64.
    I'm sure people would appreciate it if you didn't post uninformed nonsense in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

You are wrong i have aN64 and the only game i ever bought was Goldeneye.
    None of the other games interested me in any way. I wouldnt play zelda if i was paid 100 euro. Mario cart os ok but it was and always will be best on the snes.

Remember the Saga.
    Road Rash 1 2 3
    Streats of Rage 1 2 3
    Desert Strike
    Jungle Strike
    Urban Strike
    (when ps1 came out with nucular strike it was crap no game can match the orignals)
    Sonic
    And many more

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

mega drive and snes are your only friends in the pre-ps1 world.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Originally posted by User45701

Desert Strike
    Jungle Strike
    Urban Strike

these games rocked, ps1 came soviet strike first which i recall as my cousin had i have nuclear strike which is sitting upstairs with a load of other ps1 games

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd go for a Saturn but they are very pricey. What you really want is a modified saturn. There are some absolutely brilliant games for it but Sega decided not to release them in Europe or America. All the best games cost a fortune and can only be found on sites like ebay.

The N64 is a fantastic console with some brilliant games.

However prefer my MD to it. (Gunstar Heroes, Rocket Knight Adventures, Shining Force, need I go on)

The Snes though is just a little better than the MD imo.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

SNES - not even a shadow of question in my mind. You can't lose when you've got the likes of Mario All Stars, Mario Kart, Chronos Trigger, Yoshi's Island 2, and many many more.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Saga mega drive :confused:
    must have missed that one , was it sold in ALDI.

I would reccomend getting a SNES if you can find one. Mario Kart, Street Fighter, Yoshi's Island, Zelda and Metriod are just a few great games. You can even pick up Doom if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭combs

The N64 is a disaster. Don't buy it. Especially the PAL version. It can't even be modified, nor can it output RGB. I won't try to explain the lack of games for it, that should be obvious.

The MegaDrive is overrated. Very few good games on it. And any good stuff is hard to find and expensive. The games have dated very badly for this one.

The SNES is good. But you need to modify it for 60Hz. If you're not prepared to do that then don't bother with the console.

The Saturn is great. But it's not like you can walk into a shop in Ireland and buy stuff for it like games and controllers. You'll need to buy from abroad. And you'll need to open it up and modify it. And lots of games are Japanese only and expensive. Certainly more than the 5-10 Euro or so you'll pay for SNES games.

Dreamcast is less hassle. You can just use a boot disc for imports and stuff. And there's quite a few good PAL games floating around. Get a few from Neil Brady for €3 each! Its library is a lot like the Saturn's, only easier to find. And crucially, most stuff runs at 60Hz.

So Dreamcast or SNES, I say. Don't go near an N64. So many people have invested so much money in that console and been burned. Don't become another victim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Why not just get the emulators?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by Paul88
    Dear god, the extent of User45701's retardation has no bounds. You've never posted on a topic in which you actually had a clue, have you?

Buy a SNES and an N64, greatest consoles ever!

I warned you before about this. Banned for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭kenny

quote:
    Originally posted by Paul88
    Dear god, the extent of User45701's retardation has no bounds. You've never posted on a topic in which you actually had a clue, have you?

Buy a SNES and an N64, greatest consoles ever!

Can't say i agree with the wording but i agree with the principle. Anyone who can say the words 'I wouldnt play zelda if i was paid 100 euro' and expects to escape abuse needs to take a good look at themselves.

The N64 never had the volume of releases the PS1 had,
    but the classic : utter sh!te ratio was about 50 times better.

If ur looking for a cheap console which has loads quality games then i would highly recommend the N64.

The controller is superb as well, i don't think it's been bettered although the 'cube pad is pretty good.

My opinion is biased but i've had a few consoles over the years and the N64 was the only one i kept, and i still use it, tho' mostly for multiplayer games now, but that was always the strength of the machine anyway i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

If your not looking to spend alot of money, go for either the SNES or the Nintendo 64. As with all Nintendo consoles, the cream of the crop came mostly from the Big N themselves, and since the majority of their games circulated and sold well, there aren't that many games on these systems that you will find yourself paying €10+.

I agree that the Mega Drive is a little overrated, even though Gunstar Heroes is definetly one of my favourite games from that era.

Saturn is where it really steeps. Most of the good stuff is either rare or Jap-only, so unless its games interest you or don't mind shelling out top dolla' for games, this is pretty much a no-go area. If you are interested in the games offered on the Saturn however, you should really just start off with a Dreamcast; it's cheaper and many of great titles weren't just left on a shelf in Japan.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

the dreamcast was great, some really good games on it. it's also pretty cheap.

Best Games are Shenmue 1/2, Skies of Arcadia, Phantasy Star Online, Chu Chu Rocket, and Virtua Tennis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭axel90

You can get shenmue on xbox. Forget old consoles, just get xbox then chip it and hook it up with emulators!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Originally posted by combs
    The N64 is a disaster. Don't buy it.

Don't go near an N64. So many people have invested so much money in that console and been burned. Don't become another victim.

What a load of donkey. How can someone be 'burned' by a console you can pick up for under €20?? Also, here's a list of games I enjoyed on the N64:

Super Mario 64
    GoldenEye
    Perfect Dark
    Banjo-Kazooie
    Blast Corps
    Jet Force Gemini
    Donkey Kong 64
    F-Zero X
    Diddy Kong Racing
    Mario Party
    Pilotwings 64
    Shadowman
    1080 Snowboarding
    ISS
    Rogue Squadron
    Hybrid Heaven
    Super Smash Bros
    Zelda 5 & 6
    Mario Kart 64

A load of quality entertainment that could probably be found for under €100. Pretty damn good value if you ask me. I'm not even going to attempt to list my favourite Mega Drive games. Suffice to say I have a bin-liner at home almost half full of them.

Plus, I seriously doubt this guy is into his games enough to seriously worry about 60Hz RGB output, or the mod-ability of old consoles, otherwise he would already have them.
    Use your heads, folks.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

you can't get shenmue for the x-box. you can get shenmue 2.

and yes, the N64 was brilliant. Zelda was one of the best games ever. and nothing beats multiplayer goldeneye.

Originally posted by Sico

Super Mario 64
    GoldenEye
    Perfect Dark
    Banjo-Kazooie
    Blast Corps
    Jet Force Gemini
    Donkey Kong 64
    F-Zero X
    Diddy Kong Racing
    Mario Party
    Pilotwings 64
    Shadowman
    1080 Snowboarding
    ISS
    Rogue Squadron
    Hybrid Heaven
    Super Smash Bros
    Zelda 5 & 6
    Mario Kart 64
    From that list, only Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Super Mario 64 are worth the console. But Zelda is on Gamecube in non-blurry form and the SNES Mario games are better than Mario 64. Everything else in the list is either mediocre, crap or has a better sequel or prequel on the SNES or GameCube. Many people still try to defend the N64. They all fail.

Originally posted by smiaras
    Oh what a troll

Mario 64 is reponsible for the succesful transition into 3D due to the camera involved. It is a much better title than Sunshine, I was completely underwhelmed when I played the GC title.

Goldeneye/Perfect Dark. Goldeneye is easily the best movie licensed game of all time. Perfect Dark its 'sequel' is a superior title but just goes to show what Bond doing on your front cover can do for your sales figures. Goldeneye also has one of the best multiplayers ever.
    Well thanks for the history lessons.

Lastly Ocarina of Time is regarded as the best game of all time. Its not my cup of tea but I can appreciate it for what it is. Despite the N64's technological shortcomings it was able to surpass anything else that was on offer.
    I already said it's available on GameCube without the blurry graphics. Try to keep up.

Lots of people think they're missing something by not having an N64. They ask "Should I buy an N64?" The answer is no, it's not worth it. I'm just saying don't waste your money. The blurry graphics alone will turn you off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Combs, obviously the technology has changed substantially since the n64 was released, but at the time the n64 was the best console out there. Oh and with your reference to zelda being available on the gamecube, nothing beats playing a game on the console ti was intended for.

Also no one has realised this but this guy asked for a 'retro' console, where do gamecube and the xbox fit into retro?

Right then. Zelda is a worthwhile game on N64, since the GameCube version is actually an emulation. But it's the only one I can think of. Majora's Mask is much more annoying. But is it worth getting an N64 for that one game? Still no. And I still can't understand the respect for the N64.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Originally posted by Sico
    Super Mario 64
    GoldenEye
    Perfect Dark
    Banjo-Kazooie
    Blast Corps
    Jet Force Gemini
    Donkey Kong 64
    F-Zero X
    Diddy Kong Racing
    Mario Party
    Pilotwings 64
    Shadowman
    1080 Snowboarding
    ISS
    Rogue Squadron
    Hybrid Heaven
    Super Smash Bros
    Zelda 5 & 6
    Mario Kart 64

Actually, looking at this list has shown me how the Nintendo 64 hasn't aged very well. There are a few good games there (as well as the sublime Super Mario 64 and Zelda: OOT) but other than that, it's fairly sparse.

Like I said before though, if you can pick it up cheap with a few of the above games, then you should go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Celtic Tiger

Body Harvest should be added to that list. Ignored classic imho.....

Get an N64 but finding controllers in decent working condition will be tough. Lost count of how many I went through :dunno:

Advertisement