Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What price for a website??

Options
  • 08-03-2004 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

Hi,

First time at this forum so I hope I'm in the right place! I need to know how much to charge for a website I made recently. Bout 50 pages & couple hundred images.. Nothin too fancy but took me ages anyway..
    Anybody got an ideas how/what to charge for this kinda thing? (Kinda thinkin around the 1000 mark)

Thanks,
    Brian

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Would pricing by the hours/days spent on it not make more sense? it would depend on the complexity of the pages and the graphics. So pricing per page is not an accurate way of pricing it in my opinion. Generally you price it before you do it not after how come you did it the other way around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Post a URL and we can give you a ballpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

say it took you 1 hour a page (might be longer)
    50 pages = 50 Hours.

Now depending on the design and the images i would say somewhere in the €2500-€3000 area.

thats just a rough idea,
    When we get to see the site we could say more.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

Thanks guys,

Sorry for the delay.. I was out the back fixin' (tryin to fix) jukeboxes.

Now, before ye look, I've gotta warn ya, it's not pretty by any means:
    - I am not a web developer person
    - All of the ugliest bits were specifically requested by the customer

It's for my boss in the company I work for (but I did it separately outside work). It took about 40/50 hours I suppose (see point 1 above) and he's happy with it.. The old web site was 10 times uglier (if you can imagine that!)
    Generally you price it before you do it not after how come you did it the other way around?
    See point 1 above :dunno:
    http://www.automaticamusements.com

Gotta go back fixin' but I'll check back in a while. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

looks ok ..

I would still ask for at least €2000.

But the hard part now is that it's your boss....

But if he/she questions the cost show her/him this page

http://www.freelancers.com/webaffil/priceguide.html

• Advertisement

Wowzers!
    Cheers never.. Those prices seem a bit excessive to me but it will certainly be a handy reference if there is any hassle over price. I don't want to rip this guy off. He's a nice boss (most of the time) and I'd consider him a friend.. I'll have to let him know tomorrow

Gotta run for train.. Byeee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

There are a few things to take into account. The first is the skills used; and in this we’re talking about fairly basic HTML with a tiny bit snarfed JavaScript. The going rate for that (from freelancers) is be anything between €15 and €25 per hour nowadays.

Secondly there is the number of hours involved. That it took you 50 hours is immaterial in many respects, as from a client’s point of view they’re not interested in paying for time spent on the learning curve. An experienced HTML monkey would have done the same job in 25 to 30 hours, excluding time dealing with a client, pre-sales, etc (which you would also bill for directly/indirectly).

Finally, there’s the fact that he’s your boss and you never a greed any rate with him in the first place. Bad move as you’re in effect at his mercy now. This will be the deciding factor.

Of course, on the plus side, while not exactly a creative work of art or example of W3C compliant information architecture, the site is clean, easy to navigate and basically does what it says on the tin. Not a bad try for a

Bottom line: You won’t get € 2,000 unless your boss (or frankly any client) is clueless. One can pick up a site like that for between €500 and €1,000 in today’s market. Accordingly you should charge between those two figures based upon what you feel you can get out of your boss - unfortunately, his good grace is what it comes down to, given you never agreed a rate, in the end.
    Originally posted by NeVeR
    But if he/she questions the cost show her/him this page

http://www.freelancers.com/webaffil/priceguide.html
    It’s a fairly unrealistic price guide if you consider that most of the Web site bids on the site itself go for next to nothing. We outsource a fair bit of work and we don’t pay anything close to those rates.

Thanks a million TC,

I think I'll make up a bill for about €1100 and give a reduction of about €350 for some of the work which I did during my working hours here (and also to give the illusion that he is getting a good deal - which I think he is anyway - €750).
    I'm not that worried about not having agreed a price.. I know it's not very professional and generally not advisable but I know him well enough to know that there wouldn't be a problem..
    You won’t get € 2,000 unless your boss (or frankly any client) is clueless.
    He kinda is when it comes to things like this. He said he doesn't have any idea and left it entirely up to me (which I think is his way of getting a good deal because he knows I won't rip him off).. All the little psychological tricks of pricing :rolleyes:

Thanks again folks, I really appreciate all help given

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

NeVeR -- cheers for that link... i have built a few sites for people over the last few years but never really could judge what to charge most of the time feeling as if i sould have charged more for the work i put in...

thanks

macker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

Let us know what the payment received was, will help us all.

• Advertisement

The payment was €750. He didn't have any problems with that..
    €1100 total
    minus €350 for some of the work which I had done while in work (if ya get me!).

By no means a professional job tho!

Advertisement