Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Focus

Options
  • 08-03-2004 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭

Thinking about getting a Focus for my next car. Been driving smaller cars until now (1 litre fiesta, suzuki swift and a 1.3 fiesta)
    Was wondering what the general concensus (sp?) was on the Focus.
    I've been looking at some '00 1.4LX hatchbacks that look fairly nice. I'd be looking at spending around 8000-8500 ideally so I'd say a 99 or a 00 would be the best I could do.

So what are they like? Anything to look out for?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

IMO: they are a great car i would buy one too if i was in that financial situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

my dad got a 1.4 lx before christmas there last year. it's a 5 door. lovely drive and has all the extra's you'd ever need (central locking, abs, airbags, cd player, great stereo sound). very roomy too..

i haven't noticed any problems with it at all yet..

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Going Demented

I drive a 00 Focus. No problems except for the coil. Apparently it's an issue with them. If you get a 00 it should have broke and been fixed by now ;-)

Grand car to drive. Would you consider the 1.6? If feasible and you can get insured on it i would go with the 1.6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Noodamo

I've a 99 1.8 turbo Diesel Focus, and its the best car i've ever had. Never givin me an ounce of trouble. The TDI's go like rockets, fantastic amount of power in the lower gears. Ifyou floor it from being stopped, it basically pins you to the seat.

Parts can be expensive. Only things that i've had to replace was the rear window wiper motor (bout 80 quid i think) and a pully for the timing belt that was about 40 quid if memory serves me correctly. Tyres are bout 80 quid a go too.

Fantastic motors. I'd deffo recommend the diesel model because the diesel is cheaper and I get roughly 450 miles out of €35. Can't go wrong. ALso, my insurance is about 40% cheaper than if i had a 1.3 petrol car. Apparently it generally is on diesels.

I'll be sellin mine far side of the summer if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

I've a 1.4 '00 3dr. The car handles superb, don’t think I've ever got it sideways even though I do drive it hard sometimes. It’s amazing how much it sticks to the road. If I had the dosh I would have got a 1.6. They are supposed to be a lot more responsive than the 1.4. The Tdi is also a good choice, again more powerful than the 1.4. Also if you like moddifying the look of a car, the focus has bundles of modifications available but be carefull, a lot of the mods are cheap/nasty looking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

How about this one :)

Click Here

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭K2

not bad, but look what you can get for a little more cash (even if a year older) below the focus on that link.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

I've got a 99 1.6, runs like a charm. very enjoyable car to drive.

Good news for me was that Quinn Direct quoted me the same price insurance as the 1.4.

€1600 for male 27 yr old, 0 NCB, license about 3 yrs.

I had my eye on a 2nd hand alfa as well, but the insurance was double that of the focus for a 156 or 147.

If you buying a focus 2nd hand, there should be plenty for sale. Try and hold out for a full ford service history, and look for one with extras like alloys, s/r, abs etc. These oughta help the car hold its value better. Else go for a zetec model.

It still seems the selling of a second hand car is tough job, (a mate at work has given up trying to sell his Seat). Its definitely a buyers market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Noodamo

I'm 24 y/o male driving a 1.8 turbo diesel and i'm payin €1600 also with a broker, think the company is axa.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I used to drive a 01 Fiesta 1.3 and bout a 03 Focus 1.4 (3dr) the start of this year, the handling difference is class, Focus is a lovely car to drive and lovely lookin, there are loads of them around but i suppose thats the same as any popular car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Thanks for the replies!

Wow it sounds like a great car. I've heard the TDI's are nice alright so I might take you up on that offer Noodamo.

I'll check out the 1.6 but I doubt I can afford the insurance. (Hmm just checked on quinn-direct.ie, maybe I can afford the insurance.....)

My last car was a Fiesta 1.3 too, loved that little thing but I'm driving my mothers Suzuki Swift 1 litre at the moment and it's driving me nuts! Sounds like a bloody hairdryer.

I probably won't really be in the market until after the summer too (at the earliest) so I'll be on the look out for a 2000-2001 model I guess.

Are there any other cars in the same league as it worth considering?

Thanks again!

Advertisement