Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D-Link 504 - Help needed!

Options
  • 08-03-2004 6:53pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭

I purchased the D-Link 504 router today, up to now i've been using the Zyxel Prestige 630 USB modem provided by eircom, i'm on eircom home starter plus and running windows xp. I'm not very experienced at all in the LAN/Router side of things and i've run into big problems, i plugged in the power/ethernet cable/phone line and set my network settings to dhcp so it would assign an ip to the router, then i ran the web-based configuration program and got on ok, i input my username and password and the VPI/VCI numbers, i saved the changes i rebooted and when i came back into it, it showed me as being connected, HOWEVER...i can't view ANY web pages, i can't login on msn, i can't ping anything, is this proxy/dns issues (of which i know NOTHING about) or am i simply not connected, attached is an image of the web-based screen, any help is apprectiated i need an urgent remedy for this problem :(

i forgot to mention i'm only connecting one pc to the internet, i'm not setting up a LAN.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

You mention setting up dhcp so that the router gets an IP address, with my setup its the exact opposite - my router assigns the dhcp values.
    can you do me a favour and go to start>run> and type ipconfig and then take a screen shot of the pop up window ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Someone posted this ages ago and it sorted me out...

Follow the instructions with the d-link and when you get to 4. configure the router :
    VPI = 8
    VCI =35
    Encapsulation : PPPoE LLC
    Username *******
    Password ******
    Confirm password ******
    Authentication : chap
    Connect on demand : enabled
    Idle time = 0

Before you save all that information go into the configuration menu on the top left of the multiple pvc page
    Click on the option " NAT configuration" and make sure this is set as enabled and that DMZ state is disabled!

Otherwise you won't be chatting to the outside world.

Go back to the pvc page, check all the info is still there, and click connect at the bottom.
    It should say status connecting for a minute or so and then "connected"
    At which point a gateway and ip address will appear at the bottom of the page

If dhcp is enabled make sure windows is set to Obtain an IP automatically.
    Also make sure you've properly configured your browser IE. Automatically detect your network settings

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

I'll try that, but what settings must i change in IE? (note that i can't even ping anything in command prompt or connect to msn).

And to dre, i tried doing that ipconfig, but when i do; a black window pops up then disappears really fast, i can't see what it says.

sh1t :D

what i meant was go to start>run and type cmd then in this dos screen type ipconfig
    I'm a clutz :D

i should also point out that the router manual told me to set the network options to assign an ip to the router automatically..

• Advertisement

here is the ipconfig u requested, although is it not different info now that im on 56k?

i appreciate the help, it works now :D, i had to change the nat configuration to on and it works now..

Good show !
    although is it not different info now that im on 56k

Yeah I justed wanted to check that yer network card was in the same range as the router

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by LoGiE
    Someone posted this ages ago and it sorted me out...

If dhcp is enabled make sure windows is set to Obtain an IP automatically.
    Also make sure you've properly configured your browser IE. Automatically detect your network settings

One thing, set "Connect on demand" to NO.
    And just login to the web-based console and press *connect* button everytime the line goes down.
    The advantage is you can turn off your machine without losing the connection, and you'll be able to retain the same public IP for longer.

Also, check the IP of the router.
    I believe it's something like 192.168.1.7
    Subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0
    Change the IP settings of your machine to an IP in the same range as that of the router (ie disable DHCP on your machine).
    ie PC IP: 192.168.1.3 or something
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.1.7 (Whatever the IP of your router is).
    You'll need to fill in the DNS settings on your machine aswell.
    Netsource's are: 212.17.32.3 (Primary)
    212.17.32.1 (secondary)
    When you get Eircom's replace the NS ones.
    You might want to change the network setting of your machine.
    Right-click on My Computer, get properties.
    Go to "Network Identification" tab
    Click the "Network ID" button
    Click "Next"
    Select "This computer is part of a business network...." and click "Next"
    Select "My company uses a network WITHOUT a domain" and click next
    Type in "WORKGROUP" (in caps without quotation marks) and click next.
    Restart your machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Oh, and post up the output of (in text :)) of ipconfig /all

• Advertisement
Advertisement