Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help with xp boot and mbr needed!!!

Options
  • 08-03-2004 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭

Hi all,Anyone here familiar with xp commands and reboot problems.
    I had originally win98se and xp as a dual boot but decided to format c:\ and leave xp on d:\.So my computer wont boot now.Also i have 6 partitions in total with my 1x120 gig and 1x160 hds and saved all important data to n:.
    Somehow my d:\drive became my e: and my n: became my d:\.
    i did nothing for this to happen unless format c:\ caused things to shift,dunno.

so i went into xp repair and used fixboot command pointed to e: as default and it wont boot.
    Okay ,the most important thing is my data on n: seems corrupt as if the mbr of n: has changed?
    would like to get xp working again and claim back my data if anyone has any ideas.
    Tried n: of 160 gig in another system and still wont read this partition even though the other partition on the hardisk is fine.

Anyone got a nice easy fix?How can i solve mbr of affected drive?

regards kieran

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jezloki

get a windows 98 start up floppy disk
    slap it in the drive
    restart
    allow it to boot to command prompt
    at command prompt type FDISK /MBR

FDISK /MBR recreates the boot sector of the first (bootable) hard disk overwriting it with a fresh copy, by writing a new Master Boot Record (MBR) based on existent disk structure, without altering the partition table information.Can be used to repair a damaged/corrupted MBR.

if that dosent work Oppering System reinstill...i hate that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Go back into repair and use the FIXMBR command.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭kmb

No,Couldnt get fixmbr to work.Reinstall windows but when i connected to internet i am being shut down by nt authority with a timer countdown.What is this?Then systems resets....This is driving me nuts!!!

Anyone know a good undelete free programme to get the info of harddisk?

Thanks again for your help...regds kieran

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭jim_bob

sounds like blaster

go to microsoft and make sure you have all the latest security patches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

That would be the blaster virus. Find another machine and download the updates from the microsoft website and download virus removal tools from from whichever AV company you prefer. Run these and keep your antivirus software up to date.

Cheers
    Rory

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭kmb

Thanks lads ye were bang on.It was blaster and now all is sorted and back in harmony.Even my unreadable partition is now readable and workable,good as new.

regds kmb

Advertisement