Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What age are you?

• 08-03-2004 9:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

We seem to have a lot more posters here lately, and I'm just curious as to the age of the average wrestling fan is here.

Sorry, I know it's a very chatroomy kind of thread.

I'm 23 myself.

EDIT: Why don't we make it into some sort of introduction thread. Just put your age and how long you've been a wrestling fan.

My first time watching wrestling was Wrestlemania VII back in 91. Saw some of that and got hooked for the next few years, bugging friends/neighbours/relations to tape the programmes for me and my brothers as I hadn't got Sky at the time. Grew out of it around 95/96 and then I got back into it in 99 around Wrestlemania XV because my brother had begun watching it again, and a schoolmate was going around quoting The Rock all the time so I became curious. And I've been watching constantly since then (bar a couple of months) and I've become so into wrestling now that I can't imagine ever stopping.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

This has been done before, but what the heck.

I'm one of the oldest here at 34. I've ben watching wrestling so long I can rember watching Big Daddy Vs. Giant Haystacks on ITV!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Verdammt

What do you see in westling, its clearly just acting. I always thought it was just for kids. I watched it when i was 10 and lost interest over time. I cringe everytime i see it when I'm channel hopping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Originally posted by Billy-Joe
    What do you see in westling, its clearly just acting.

I know. I always think the same whenever I see films.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

18 and in college. I've never been as hardcore as a lot of guys on these boards and have rarely ventured far from WWF/E. I've seen some ECW tapes but found them a bit boring or something. Their production was bad but they did have some good spots.
    I do love wrestling and I think that it is utterly unique in it's style of programming. And I'm glad it's acted out otherwise it would be kinda boring and really dangerous(hardcore matches etc.)Then there would be no storylines, no spots. I don't think that is a credible argument against watching it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭NeroTheExtreme

Originally posted by Billy-Joe
    I cringe everytime i see it when I'm channel hopping.

Oddly enough, i feel the same when i'm channel hopping and see Friends, Will and Grace, Smallville and Buffy the fsckin' Vampire Slayer, yeah Geller has a pair of tits, whop de doo!

Anyway, I'm 28 myself, been watching since sky came on the air here in 1986. Ah the memories of Wrestlemania III :)

Nero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Hanza

20, with the maturity of a 5 year old.

Watches WM6 on video in my cousins house at the age of 6 or 7. Cant remember. Hook ever since...

Hanza

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Digsy

I'm 28 , again with the maturity of a 12 year old ( I'm sure you all gathered that from me calling out Nero last week , again I apologies for that but I've genuinely gained more respect for you all since I read some of the threads and realized you actually have a clue what you are talking about )

Like most Irish fans my age , my first taste was Big Daddy and co. in the early 80's , but I first saw WWF on an episode of the A-Team , Hogan and Valentine were wrestling it in. First seen Superstars and Wrestling Challenge in '86 - Hogan had just been betrayed by Paul Orndorf and the Harts took the tag belts from the Bulldogs.
    Since then I've never looked back and never really lost interest , although I've come close to boycotting it in recent years because of the golden son in law as it's impossible to predict or even dream what gonna happen cause as long as he's around , angles of real importance will revolve around him ( That's just my opinion anyway )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

im 24 and have been watching wwe since WM3, was watching the english wrestling before that, and also watched wcw on itv aswell all those years ago.

stopped watching around the early-mid ninties (just when it got interesting) and really didnt see it at all between i think 95 and 99. then one sunday night i came back from d pub and low and behold the royal rumble was on channel 4 and HHH was wrestling cactus jack in a streetfight. been hooked ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭jesusjones

21 in College started watching it when I was around 6 years old.Went off it for a while but returned and whave watched the great entertainment of wrestling ever since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I'm 25 and i'm an alco...oh sh*t wrong thread!

Um 25. Been watching since the years of Giant H on UTV.
    Remember back as far as WM5 I think!?!:cool:

Nothing wrong with being an Alco and 25 and someone that watches wrestling.Faip play to ya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Im 27...been watching since the mid eighties. its one of the few things me and my father had in common as he isnt much of a sportsfan but aklways loved wrestling and still does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

22, I remember watching Giant Haystacks on ITV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I'm 18, starteed watching it when I was about 4/5. Grew away from it a few years later, I kind of got fed up with it. Then I started watching again at the end of '97, and I became 100% hooked by the end of '99. That was all WWF, by the way, but I've watched plenty of WCW, ECW, older WWF and indy promotions since.

There's been something that I've wondered about, just thought I'd mention it, I don't think I'd like wrestling if I actually thought it was real. I find it much easier to appreciate when I know how hard they're actually trying in there, and it makes it more enjoyable watching the real technical matches when you know that the guys are putting a lot of thought into it, if you get what I mean.

Speaking of Haystacks , did anyone else go to the English wrestling at the SFX Dublin in 1990 ?

They actually had the nerve to put Hogan on the poster ! ( I'm sure Vince would have had his lawyers on them in a second if he knew about that one ).
    I knew it would be a farce but went anyway for the laugh , and what a laugh it was.

A 5 ft , 100 lb guy in a silky tracksuit took our tickets at the door , half an hour later he was in a cage match !
    Haystacks was literally the only name I recognize , the other apparent big name ( in the promoter's eyes anyway ) was a Koko B. Ware impersonator called Cool Cat Jackson , who wore a red Frank Spenser beret to the ring .The hat was stolen from ringside during his match by one of the many little unsupervised knackers at it , and when he found out he came on the mic and shouted in his best Ron Simmons voice - "Who has my damn hat ? ! "
    Oh , and all the wrestlers came out to the same music " Ride on time " by Black Box.

I'm really not making this up

You can imagine my relief when the real deal with Undertaker and Sid headlining came a couple of years later , I would died a unhappy man if my only taste of live action was the afore mentioned tripe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

I remember that. It was on two nights, and I went to the first night. There was also a British Bulldog type there. He and Haystacks ended up making a tag match for the following night, can't remember their opponents. The funniest part of the night was a guy who was wrestling earlier in the night. He was smallish, but he got a good response from the crowd. Then he came back out later to put up the cage, and the crowd recognised him and started a chant which he didn't appreciate. The pissed off look on his face as he was working on the cage was so funny, but what did he expect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭a-hole

im 19 and watched wcw on itv in the early 90 untill it went off the air then got back into wwf in the late 90s when chanel4 started showing it i now have sky and watch it religicaly

I remeber those saturday morning WCW days. Was just on right after Movies, Games and Videos, then the Adam West TV show followed. Days of bliss.

I remeber Mark Meros entrance in WCW(obviously as Jonny B.Badd), back then it seemed so big.

So we all know each other now, what is all of your stand out wrestling memories? Live shows, Tv... what ever...

Mine:
    When my friend handed me the King of the Ring tape in 98 the next day in school and just said... dude... just... ahhh.... dude.... like, wow.... just.... watch it! Youll know what Im talking about! I knew what he was talking about, I swear i went mental...

Best memory of all time: Looking up at the crowds in the Basket Ball arena(oh, which will from on now and forever be refered to as the IwW arena) at IwWs second show and just being totally blown away. That day was increadable... I had the bets seat in the house...

Oh, and every time i watch TLC2. Bets match ever...

Hanza

Best Memory of all time: Wrestlemania VI, probably because i was a young markish 14 year old and still being in shock and full of joy that SOMEONE AT LAST BEAT HOGAN WITH A CLEAN PIN! Over 68,000 and I had the unedited Sky Movies version of it where you see the mexican wave during the Roberts - Dibiase match.

Still wish I had that one, but later that year a certain family member who was sick of me watching the tape morning noon and night decided to dance on it! I now own the Silver Vision release of WM6 which is brutally clipped, although in retrospect, it was a good idea clipping a lot of those matches.

Nero

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭purplemonkey

I'm 18 and in college. My first take of wrestling was with Hogan and the Ultimate Warrior, don't remember the year. It was where Hogan loses to UW and gives him the belt after the match. I stopped watching wrestling for a while but when I heard about the "invasion" I knew it was time to start watching it again. Being in college I don't have time to watch it every week but I do read about it and watch the events. Can't wait for Wrestlemania. 5 hours long. It's gonna be a bitch waking up for college Monday morning. Oh well, sacrifices have to be made

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

23 Been watching since WM 7. :ninja:

Originally posted by purplemonkey
    It was where Hogan loses to UW and gives him the belt after the match.

Heh, yeah, Hebner made a hash of that one on the live feed! Hebner grabbed the belt to give it to him and next think you see is the camera going to the crowd, Camera is back on Hogan with the belt.

Ah the joys of Live TV.
    Nero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 nitemonkey04

im 20 years old and ive been watchin since wrestlemania 6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Hogan pinned by Warrior at WM6.
    When austin Dropped the cinderblock on the DX express!
    The ring collapsing during Brock Vs Big show on SD.
    HBK beating Bret in the Iron Man match. (match was extended coz neither had a pin fall after 60 minutes).

HHH's return as a face after he tore his Quad. Such a pop!
    Austins re-instatment as Co GM (Key word: Tomorrow!)

There's so many!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭purplemonkey

Not trying to slow this thread down or anything but Hanza, I went to that show too. Did you go in the day or at night? I went at night. The TLC match was cool. I have a piece of one of the tables on my bedroom walls. It's signed by "the Bambi-Killer" himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

i'm 18 been watching since wm8... Saw all the earleir ones though (or as much as I could) Loved the little figure doods. Still got **** loads of them in my attic, might be worth something someday... Still got the ring too and champ belt (but think gold came off it)

Have a few ECW vids, not much. Long to see born to be wired someday
    TNA is recommended (hope get bb to d/l it)

Not trying to slow this thread down or anything but Hanza, I went to that show too. Did you go in the day or at night? I went at night. The TLC match was cool. I have a piece of one of the tables on my bedroom walls. It's signed by "the Bambi-Killer" himself.
    I was at the evening show of the first show. The second show had only one show. The TLC was amazing. Actually, for everyone that has the video, or Friendly TV on digital cheak out the shot where Michael Kovac goes through the table on the outside ass first, they follow it with a repeat aswell.

At the time keepers table you can see me sitting there with my balck shirt and tie screaming "FUAAAAAAK" at the top of my voice. It looked so messed up. It was real funny...

There you go. Ive exposed my secret Identity to yall. :ninja:

Hanza

Bret vs. Austin at Wrestlemania 13 was probably my best memory.I also remeber Japanese wrestling on Eurosport in the mid 90's with Gordon Solie and Sir Oliver Humperdink on commentary.Japan had the matches in the world in the mid 90's and it was pure class from start to finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Im 17 started watching in 2000. Raw after the king of the ring. I had just gotton skysports and my cus foned me and said to tape sky sports 3 at 10 o clock. The ironic thing is he is gone very luck warm on it and im a huge fan. I wasnt instantly hooked. I remember armageddon 2000 with the 6 man hell in a cell. It wasent the best match but i was so hyped for it. I had never seen the HIAC before.
    I realy got a hooked when a friend lent me 2 ECW DVDs.
    I gained more respect for it after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Jeanie

Im 22, and started watching wwf when I was about 7/8. I remember when Hogan was hospitalised by Earthquake (and Tugboat was involved as well if I remember correctly) and I was so distraught I sent him a get well soon letter; i got back a postcard from him thanking "all of his hulkamaniacs" for their support. Been a huge fan ever since. I stopped watching for a few years in the mid 90s, when it went off the boil a bit. But ive been watching again religiously for the past three years or so. Have never seen a live show though.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Muzz

Your all retards. Sad bastards if you ask me. I know people younger than you guys that are actually married and have a life. You guys live wrestling. Its only a game. Its worse than playing games on the computer. Okay i watch it yes. I dont live it. You guys are mongs. Actually you guys are like "oh no i cant get through this day unless i get my daily fix of wrestling". Oh please go get the ride and you will feel alot better than getting a 1-2-3 on Stone Cold Steve Austin. I tell you want go drink some bud light and then you can pretend you are Stone Cold with a life!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Im 19 used to watch wwf when i was like 5 but got really really board of it when i was 10 so stopped watching till i was around 13-14.....I didn’t really like the soap opera crap it turned into so yet again stopped watching it after about...5 months.....I then started watching wcw but it got crap then was bought out.So i don’t watch wrestling anymore because it basically a soap opera with ugly women (who cant act) and huge men (who cant act) and every single match can be predicted after around 4 seconds.
    Your all retards. Sad bastards if you ask me.

your going to be banned :ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

First of all....

"Your all retards. Sad bastards if you ask me"

BAN!BANNED! Please ban this loser it would make my day! Oh wait hang on i've gotta go drink beer coz stone cold told me to. Wrestling is a game??? Really?We live wrestling??
    BAn BaNnEd

Oh and Bizmark,
    "it basically a soap opera with ugly women "

Torrie Wilson?? Trish Stratus? Stavie Kiebler? Jackie Gayda?
    Are you blind?

Originally posted by Jeanie
    I remember when Hogan was hospitalised by Earthquake (and Tugboat was involved as well if I remember correctly)

Christ, I remember that! And everyone was wearing those yellow friendship bracelets. Of course the drawback from all of this was the fact that we had to put up with Earthquake in the "double" main event at Summerslam that year but we had Warrior and Rude to save the show :)

Nero

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Muzz
    Your all retards. Sad bastards if you ask me. I know people younger than you guys that are actually married and have a life.

Erm, if they're married in your mid 20's, the chances are they don't have a life, plain and simple. To be bogged down with a wife, house and kids before your 30's pretty much indicates that life as you once knew it is gone, you're money's no longer yours and it's all happened way too soon!

Heheh, who's laughing now b|tch? Enjoy the ban.
    Nero

Originally posted by bizmark
    So i don’t watch wrestling anymore because it basically a soap opera with ugly women (who cant act) and huge men (who cant act) and every single match can be predicted after around 4 seconds.

Erm, have you been watching Dream Team again? ;)
    Nero

Hello Muzz...

Welcome to The Pro Wrestling boards. My name is Hanza, and I like Wrestling. Actually your right, I live wrestling. Bill, even though ur one of the board regulars, I have to totally disagree with you. Dont ban this guy.

He obviously has some personal problems he wants to convay. If he feels the need to run his mouth about matters he doesnt even really have a clue about or even reserch, then he obviously has social or rage problems. Plus Like Neros said, hes married in his mid twenties, he obviously had attatchment problems too when he moved out of his parents house and had to latch on to a stronger person so his every day life can continue and he can have normality, even though his maturity is obviously suffering.

Muzz, I forgive you :) In fact we all do. In fact... I love you! Come on get that rage out. Come and give me a guy... Feel better? Good!:) Now (slaps Muzz on thw wrist) dont use nauthy words again. Bold boy!

Hanza

And as for us needing "The Ride" as you so romantically put it , i have a very satisfying sex life , but i still enjoy watching wrestling.
    And before you say i must be with right mingers .... well yeah i do , but even if i was in a threesome with Torrie and Sable , i'd still want to put Raw on afterwards and send them downstairs to make the tea !

Originally posted by Digsy

And before you say i must be with right mingers .... well yeah i do

Well you know what they say, there are two kinds of people in this world.
    People who have screwed at least one minger in their life, and pathelogical liars! ;)

Nero

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Hanza
    Hello Muzz...

Welcome to The Pro Wrestling boards. My name is Hanza, and I like Wrestling. Actually your right, I live wrestling. Bill, even though ur one of the board regulars, I have to totally disagree with you. Dont ban this guy.

He obviously has some personal problems he wants to convay. If he feels the need to run his mouth about matters he doesnt even really have a clue about or even reserch, then he obviously has social or rage problems. Plus Like Neros said, hes married in his mid twenties, he obviously had attatchment problems too when he moved out of his parents house and had to latch on to a stronger person so his every day life can continue and he can have normality, even though his maturity is obviously suffering.

Muzz, I forgive you :) In fact we all do. In fact... I love you! Come on get that rage out. Come and give me a guy... Feel better? Good!:) Now (slaps Muzz on thw wrist) dont use nauthy words again. Bold boy!

Hanza

ladies & gentlemen
    :DDr Phil Hanza

now can we get a group hug

Digsy I would not go that far I would never leave the bed if Torrie and Sable were in it!As for Muzz you can go and **** yourself for all I care.Its a people choice if they want to live and breathe wrestling and I know its your opinion but I would bet you have just pissed off everyone that has posted on these boards.Word Life!

And we've just learned yet another lesson in basic "muppa"nomics.

Nero

Ill take that as a compliment Nero

Originally posted by jesusjones
    Ill take that as a compliment Nero

Just as long as ya didn't take it to heart, it was actually aimed at Muzz ;)
    Nero

Cant we like make an antiwrestling/wrestling hater net to stop these inbreads from posting here.

WORD 2 UR MAMAS:
    (Terry)FUNK OFF. WE DONT LIKE YO KIND ERE BOY!!!

Hanza

My top 5 slogans for non wrestling ignorant ranters who've obviously never watched it in so long

1) It's fixed, so are nearly 50% of footy matches these days, whats your point?
    2) It's bad acting: So is friends, smallville, baywatch, buffy etc, but you still watch it.
    3) It attracts "muppa's", hey so does 80% of Irish nightclubs, at least it's not public.
    4) You're all a bunch of saps: Says he who's fighting over the INTERNET!
    5) Aren't you not too old for that? Really, and how many times have you watched cartoons such as Family Guy and The Simpsons this week?

I could go on...
    Nero

Well put.

We should start a pertition to get that reply posted as a sticky for all those gobshytes

Hanza

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Torrie Wilson?? Trish Stratus? Stavie Kiebler? Jackie Gayda?

The kiebler one is good looking alright......Mind you shes fudgeing tall

But tbh i dont like muscel bound women freaks or women with more slicon than a amd/intell plant :D

But lads thats me....your welcome to love WWE or anything else :) where all intitled to our opinion

• Advertisement
Advertisement