Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A United Ireland

Options
  • 08-03-2004 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

Do you want a United Ireland? Please note that I have seperated the vote counts into segmented groups to get a fair opinion of all followings. Give reasons as to why you chose your answer.

Do you think Ireland should be United? 136 votes

Yes (Catholic : ROI)
    0% 0 votes
    No (Catholic : ROI)
    44% 61 votes
    Yes (Catholic : NI)
    40% 55 votes
    No (Catholic : NI)
    2% 4 votes
    Yes (Protestant: ROI)
    3% 5 votes
    No (Protestant: ROI)
    5% 8 votes
    Yes (Protestant: NI)
    1% 2 votes
    No (Protestant: ROI)
    0% 1 vote

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

:confused: Where's the atheist/agnostic option? What about Orthodox Christians, Jews, Muslims and Hindus? Do they not get a vote?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭David-[RLD]-

because the Good Friday Agreement depends on a Catholic majority only before a referendum can take place.

anyway, HELL YES! why would any decent Irish person vote no??? treason, i tells you!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

well, because if a United Ireland happens then the violence is likely to come to Dublin, and it will cost the Irish people endless amounts of money to support the province.....

saying that I would like to see it happen, but only if it is wanted by the a large majority in the north, and not just a catholic majority that may happen in the coming years... its ALOT more cut and dry than just yes and no

Flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭markomac316

We've had to live with bombings up here, being under threat from loyalists everyday of our lives. Stop being a coward.

A united Ireland is the only way forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

bah a united ireland could cripple our economy like it's doing to germany

If its to happen might be best to phase it in over a few years make sure the troubles have stoped etc......

• Advertisement

Im sorry, you seem to have mis interpretated me. I said that is an argument against a united Ireland, but not mine.
    I am for a united ireland, but only with a large majority... it will happen IMO, but how long is the question

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by Meh
    :confused: Where's the atheist option?

You don't believe in God? But which god is it you don't believe in?

O well in that case sorry man. I dont care how large the majority is just as long as it is enough to get us what we want. At the end of the day there is only 500,000 of them and there is at least 4,000,000 of us. To me thats a large enough majority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Where's the "foreign jonny who lives here and is atheist" option? Oh I wont have a vote if there's a referendum so thats okay then....

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by markomac316
    [BI dont care how large the majority is just as long as it is enough to get us what we want. At the end of the day there is only 500,000 of them and there is at least 4,000,000 of us. To me thats a large enough majority. [/B]

Words to warm the heart of any Provo...

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

Words to warm the heart of any Provo...

or any wannabe provo for that matter.

I wonder, if Ireland is united ..will the provos disband and say " that was mighty crack lads..well done" or will thy continue to be a band of criminals intent of causing fear and pain for personal profit ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Mods, can we get that poll edited, so it contains a ROI option without a religion.

I would support a United Ireland, after all we are an Island so we should be united as 1.

Bad Poll:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Originally posted by flogen
    saying that I would like to see it happen, but only if it is wanted by the a large majority in the north, and not just a catholic majority that may happen in the coming years... its ALOT more cut and dry than just yes and no

That is what the majority is not based on now.
    As your run of the mill unionist would say 'the greater number of people of NI', not specific to one community :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

The poll's significance is there to see if the divide between catholics and protestants is as strong as it is portrayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

there is only 500,000 of them and there is at least 4,000,000 of us. To me thats a large enough majority.

Its 1.57 million of "them" and 4 million of "us"

I wonder, if Ireland is united ..will the provos disband and say " that was mighty crack lads..well done" or will thy continue to be a band of criminals intent of causing fear and pain for personal profit ?

good point, something Ive wondered myself.
    It would be great if the IRA were mouthing off about freedom etc, and the Uk gov and Unionists just said..'ok, have it, its yours'. theyd probably start a war against bertie for the laugh
    "what else are we going to do with our spare time, guns and drug money??"

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Can we get an option for humanists who happen to think that this whole question is a waste of time and we'd be better off just improving our lives by tackling more important and immediate problems like those associated with the healthcare system, the educational system, the budget, law enforcement, the judicary, the legislature's ethical conduct, the electoral system, and so on?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Perhaps we'd be aswell to be a state in a federal Europe?

PS Poll maker ... not everybody is Catholic or Protestant in Ireland.

X

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

What's religion got to do with a United Ireland? Only a bigot would make a religious issue out of it.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by dlofnep
    The poll's significance is there to see if the divide between catholics and protestants is as strong as it is portrayed.

Well I think Nationlist and Unionists might have been a way to go, not everyone up there is Catholic or Protestant, and not everyone here is either.

MODS CAN WE PLEASE GET THE POLL EDITED???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Its fine to aspire to a United Ireland, the british have unsucessfully combatted the IRA for 30 years, none of their tactics were very sucessful.

In a United Ireland, Irish troops would have to patrol the streets of Belfast, as the johnny adair types would take up the role the IRA left.

Will you justify the increase in spending on security and are you prepared to see Irish troops die, I'm not. We dont need that basket case of a place. In any case within 50-60 years we will all be part of a United States of Europe so a united ireland will be a non issue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

Religion has nothing to do with it really.

I think a simple yes or no would work best here. Just to get a "feel" of the stance by regular posters in this room.

There's no point in dividing it up because its ever gonna be representative anyways.

Yes
    No
    Dont Know

I think its a good poll but can we have the options changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Nuttzz pretty much beat me to the chase here.

A united Ireland is a nice idea. We all love the warm, fuzzy feeling of an island all to ourselves.

Wakey wakey. It's not going to happen soon, or easily.

All the majority of Catholics in the north want, is a reversal of the current setup, with Catholics in power, and subduing the prodestant minority. The "us and them" thinking makes this very apparent.

Bitter times have made for a bitter people, with a bitter outlook on life. The population of NI are unable to see past their own back gardens, everything there has been polarized to be either Catholic or Protestant, Celtic or Rangers, Nationalist or Loyalist. You could say that division and segregation have become an important part of life in NI.

I don't want this is a united Ireland. This is not treason. This is rational thinking.

The concept of a united Ireland will be made obsolete by a united Europe. At least that's what I hope.

In the interim, a united Ireland would just spread the problems that abound in the north, and I, for one, don't want that.

Economic mayhem.
    A divided, bitter population.
    Military factions running organised crime.

Not in my country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Originally posted by Jaden
    All the majority of Catholics in the north want, is a reversal of the current setup, with Catholics in power, and subduing the prodestant minority. The "us and them" thinking makes this very apparent.

being from the north and catholic...
    i think the majority of Catholic in the North just want to be able to live in the north.. tbh they dont want power - they just dont want be second class citizens no longer. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

Originally posted by David-[RLD]-
    because the Good Friday Agreement depends on a Catholic majority only before a referendum can take place.

anyway, HELL YES! why would any decent Irish person vote no??? treason, i tells you!
    Plenty of decent Irish people (52% as write this) would vote no. There are plenty of reasons (outlined above): social reasons, economic reasons, terrorism from loyalist separatists.

But I think there is one very important fact to remember: Never in Irish history has there been an occasion when Ireland was an independent united island. Yet republicans (including FF) seem to think that it's some sort of holy grail. Why? So we can remove a line on a map? Because the people of Ireland have a right to govern everyone that exists on an island, simply because it's an island, and simply because the whole island happens just happens to be called Ireland or Éire. What if by some historical twist of fate, the south-western half of the Island was called Munsterland, and the rest was called Ireland? Would we see the existence of a terrorist group demanding the sovereignty of Munsterland. It might sound silly, but it's not that far removed from what's happening in NI. Protestants have been in NI for 400 years, whereas Normans have been in Ireland for over 1000 years. Yet we don't see true-blooded Irish gaels in Kerry or Munster demanding independence from their Norman oppressors (Fitzgerald, Fitzpatrick, etc) in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

We've had to live with bombings up here, being under threat from loyalists everyday of our lives. Stop being a coward.
    A sickening comment. Or..."We've had to endure 30 years of murder, now it's your turn."
    A united Ireland is the only way forward.
    Don't you mean "the only forward" to another 30 years of terrorism, murder and grief?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Nutz was right: we're all going to be swallowed by a European superstate anyway.

MWUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Federal-like elements of unity (where it makes sense, industrial development, transport, agriculture and the like).... maybe with the Republic joining the Commonwealth as a quid pro quo and I'm an athiest.

Tax varying powers?

I'm sure there'd be some fudge we could come up with, to keep the Unionists in fat city.

Currency?

Euro.

Foreign policy?

Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland and GB, form a 'mutual friendship' pact, where the Republic (as a vast dispensation to NI) agrees to military support of Britian. Stormount decides on Northern Ireland's foreign policy, with some form of binding pacts between the NI state, Republic's Parliment and Westminster, regarding participation in things like war, Europe and so on.

Quite a similar arrangement as Gladstone came up with in the 1870s.

In fact, if the Republic could be more secular and more friendly to Britian, I'm sure some sort of fudged Federal arrangement (aka joint-British/Irish authority) over Northern Ireland could be tenable.

/Thinks about relocating business to Northern Irish (Tax dispensation) area.

*grin*

Either that or repartition. Personally, I have no desire to live in a country with Ian Paisley... and I'm quite sure, the feeling is mutual.

thats not what I meant. We've had thousands of people from the North give up their lives for a united Ireland. Its about time people from the free state understood this and wised up and said yes we are going to do something about it. And im afraid your wrong, with your "30 years of trouble". There has been trouble in Ireland ever since a foreign nation took control.

And no I dont mean its another way forward to another 30 years of murder and grief. I mean it is the only way forward. Ever since there was a free state, the people in the North have fought back, and we will continue to do so. The only way to stop that is by the Brits giving in. And if people turn around and say "What about th UDA etc bombing Dublin and the rest of ireland" then you people are stupid. The only major bombing any loyalist para's have done was the Dublin bombing and EVERYONE knows it was made by British bomb experts. They dont have the intelligence to mount an offensive without the suppose of the police or the army.

As for the I.R.A disarming when there is a united Ireland they will do. That is their objective to have a united Ireland and when that happens they will disarm, because simply there is nothing left to fight for.

But obviously a lot of the people down south dont have the same feelings as the people do up here. So maybe Reefbreak is right, perhaps the U.D.A should stick a few bombs up your asses with a msg saying "made by the british army" and then you'll get back the fighting irish spirit, then again maybe not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Originally posted by Xterminator

PS Poll maker ... not everybody is Catholic or Protestant in Ireland.

X

Or Irish. :D

Advertisement