Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A United Ireland

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭thesecret7

How can you know it wont??

its becuase the peoples dont wish it.

I don't know where secret7 got his quote from, but I couldnt find anything on it.

I have seen it with my wons eyes. It is true, he said it when all the peoples were gathered in the house for a party. The house had a glasss roof, farmborought in dublin... i cant remember

. You may wish not to belive me but The Presendent said it on the making of the programme.

No-one should have any problems finding the figures for that if they just know how to use a search engine, so you shouldn't have to even ask me for links.

I know this may not be the fact of the matter. I have known people who have not this ability

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ruchna

These websites should be of interest to those who believe in an AGREED unified Ireland by consent. This will ultimately mean a compromised settlement with those who adhere to the minority political philosophy on the island.

http://www.reform.org (THE REFORM MOVEMENT)

Pressing for constitutional Reform in the Republic of Ireland
    -Increased role for Council of the Isles
    -New, inclusive anthem
    -New flag
    -Commonwealth Membership
    -Increased senate representation for those of Unionist/Redmondite tradition
    -Implementation of Belfast Agreement
    -English and Irish languages to be made equal

Conor Cruise O'Brien, Ruth Dudley Edwards, Eoghan Harris, Bruce Arnold and John Bruton TD are meant to be distinguished members of Reform.

http://www.csc.tcd.ie/~unionist/
    Grouplet at Trinity College Dublin, mainly comprised of Unionists from NI

http://www.irishunionism.org
    Irish Unionist Alliance - an excellent read, invigorating for those who aspire to an alternative Ireland. I'd like to see the liberation of an all-Ireland Unionism in the distant future. For now we can safely dismiss the IUA as lunacy. Presumably in existence in the unlikely event of unified Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by thesecret7
    its becuase the peoples dont wish it.

This is yet more pure speculation offered as a reason why the first bit of pure speculation is correct.

Its about as valid an argument as me saying "trade will increase because the Anlantean overlords really have a seekr1t plan which centres around cross-border trade in Ireland increasing, so it will not be allowed to diminish".

Until you can offer any sort of valid research which backs your claims, all you are doing is spouting waffle.

It is true, he said it when all the peoples were gathered in the house for a party. The house had a glasss roof, farmborought in dublin... i cant remember
    For the second time....he is a she. We haven't had a male president in Ireland in almost 15 years. So if you're talking about something that happened 15 years ago, its no wonder you can't remember, and its also entirely irrelevant.

If, on the other hand you're talking about something more recent, then it wasn't a "he" who said it or it wasn't our president.

. You may wish not to belive me but The Presendent said it on the making of the programme.
    The making of what program?

Come on...give me some reason to believe this is somehow a more valid piece of information than the stories my parents used to tell me about walking 5 miles to school barefoot each day, uphill both ways, through the driving rain and snow which never stopped.

Because, quite frankly, thats about as credible as your argument is to me right now.
    I know this may not be the fact of the matter. I have known people who have not this ability
    Do you know how to use a search engine? If you do, then your point has no relevance to the argument other than to try and deflect us away from the fact that there are no shortage of facts available which show that your argument is - to be somewhat blunt - completely unsupported by the evidence. Oh - except for the so-called evidence you claim exists about a President who's gender you don't know which neither you nor I can find any references to anywhere.

If on the other hand you don't know how to use a search engine, then please say so, and I will go and fetch you the points before completely dismissing you as someone who will be completely incapable of offering anything more than an unsupportable opinion from here on out.

In short, your argument is contentless, and therefore meritless.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

I'm more guilty of this than anyone else but could you also try and reread your posts before you hit "submit". To be honest I've been fairly interested in this thread so far but the point your making is difficult to understand.
    :confused:

Cross-border iniatitives are very important (especially for SME's) to both the NI and republic economies and in recognising the need for Ireland to act as an Island economy in International markets there have been various schemes and cross-border bodies set up.

Heres an article from the post about cross border trade :
    http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2003/03/16/story432274647.asp

Note:
    Cross-border trade is worth €3 billion to the Irish economy, according to new research released by InterTradeIreland.

http://www.intertradeireland.com/ - also might have more info

Also http://www.tourismireland.com/ - should offer some reasons why cross border cooperation is not only neccessary but essential to both economies.

Above are some indicators where operating as an island economy makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

I'ld like to just chop of the North along with all the people who live there and hand it over to Blair to do whatever he wants with it. Detatch it completely from IRELAND. Sink it even.
    What do you think goes on in those meetings between Blair and Ahern.

You have it.
    No you have.
    Ah **** it must be your turn now Bertie.
    No Tony i insist keep it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

Originally posted by markomac316
    O well in that case sorry man. I dont care how large the majority is just as long as it is enough to get us what we want. At the end of the day there is only 500,000 of them and there is at least 4,000,000 of us. To me thats a large enough majority.

Who's US you Nordy scum.
    Do you think WE want you down here. What is it witgh Nordys of both persuasions who think they are wanted anywhere. Just stay up there and live in peace is all you have to do.
    Its fun though watching the fight.

Originally posted by Mighty_Mouse
    I'm more guilty of this than anyone else but could you also try and reread your posts before you hit "submit". To be honest I've been fairly interested in this thread so far but the point your making is difficult to understand.

Who? Me?

I'm basically saying that thesecret7's argument about cross-border trade is completely contentless, including the alleged comment by our President.

jc

Originally posted by DaithiSurfer
    Its fun though watching the fight.

You can watch it from teh sidelines then.

One week ban for personal abuse.

jc

:D - I suppose I should of addressed that comment to someone!!! Not you Bonkey Secret 7 - I cant seem to follow what he's trying to say!

Daithi - Do yourself a favour and try and educate yourself by reading a couple of these "Nordy Scum" related threads.

• Advertisement

I have now left only to stand with my posts with my utmost honour.

whats this mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Vader

IMO the pole is sectarian in nature and narrow minded.
    I am not a christian so where should I be voting???

I vote for a united Ireland and I live in the ROI.

there is two options for protestants in the ROI to say no but none for prods in NI?

Only now, I will have to stand by my posts, with the utmost honour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭David-[RLD]-

Originally posted by Vader
    IMO the pole is sectarian in nature and narrow minded.
    I am not a christian so where should I be voting???

I vote for a united Ireland and I live in the ROI.

I'm guessing it's based on the terms of the GFA.
    Has to be a Catholic majority in the north before a referendum takes place.

Ridiculously discriminative, I know.

Does it specifically say "Catholic majority" or does it say "Nationalist Majority"?

"2. Subject to paragraph 3, the Secretary of State shall exercise the power under paragraph 1 if at any time it appears likely to him that a majority of those voting would express a wish that Northern Ireland should cease to be part of the United Kingdom and form part of a united Ireland."

There's not really any way of telling if the majority is Nationalist or not without holding a referendum, and that won't happen until the majority is Nationalist.

Loophole, no?

They'll base it on a Catholic majority probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Nah, to base it on a catholic majority would be sectarian. More likely theyll base it on votes for the SDLP and SF and other nationalist/republican parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 BarryFry

Originally posted by Sand
    Nah, to base it on a catholic majority would be sectarian. More likely theyll base it on votes for the SDLP and SF and other nationalist/republican parties.

Ah.....but didn't Trimble propose a referendum last year?

I believe his strategy was to strengthen the "legitimacy" of NI by calling a referendum he knew the Unionists would win strongly.

It seems that Nationalists may be in a Catch 22 here. Do they wait for a majority share of the electorate (which may never happen), or do they push for a refereendum regardless, despite the fact that this may strengthen the Unionist position?

• Advertisement

Yeah I didnt think theyd actually say catholic, so the pole then is kinda irrelevent and sectarian.

Basing it on parties makes sense, why dont you think nationalist parties will ever have a majority.

It could happen either by there being a catholic majority, not that all catholics are nationalists or all nationalists catholics, or the growth of the alliance party (seeing as they can designate themselves nationalist or unionist at their chosing).

SF could even become the biggest party if it took away all of the SDLPs seats and the unionists started fueding and started splinter parties.

Probably wont happen, but Im just saying.

Im surprised a bit at that clause, holding a referendum by its definition alone would add legitamacy to the Brits right to rule "the six counties".
    Id say SF had a hard time swallowing that bit.

Of course it is the only way forward, I agree hole hartedly with the agreement.

So just to wrap it up.
    The conclusion to this discussion is that the majority of people support a united Ireland!!
    :D

:ninja:

That's true, they do. :)

And Vader, the Unionists splitting apart and forming spliter parties is happening right now. The UUP is in a mess and Paisley's lot are finally giving in to peaceful diplomacy.

Look at Sinn Féin's results from the November elections. Huge increase in support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ireton

Not even majority in the Republic and this board may not be representative.

Anyways their opinions may change if we bomb Dublin back to the Stone Age
    :D

It is pretty funny, as the constitutional changes show, you're not really wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭halkar

I think this poll should be just Yes and No rather than all that Catholic - Protestant stuff in it. I say Yes without strings attached. Even if Greek and Turkish in Cyprus can make some effort to unite their island I don't see any reason why Ireland shouldn't be united without Chatolic - Protestant debates. Don't forget Cyprus Turks are majority Muslim and Greeks are Orthodox and considering Greek and Turkey have been cats and dogs for decades what they are doing now is wonderful.

Peace at home, peace in the world, lets unite :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

What is this Catholic/Protestant stuff? I've heard Paisley rail against "the papists", since he considers it preferable to give his religious allegience to Her Majesty the Queen than to the Bishop of Rome. That's all very well and good, but despite the influence of religion neither the UK nor Ireland are theocracies. Does the dispute really have anything to do with varieties of Christianity?

And if it does not, why does everyone persist in maintaining the myth by using its vocabulary?

Advertisement