Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A United Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭thesecret7

QUOTE]And I don't like having people like you in my country.[/QUOTE]

well your entitiled to your own opinion... but i bet ur from the north

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

your a troll secret!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Originally posted by Mighty_Mouse

The vast majority of catholics in northern Ireland are nationalists and want to see a united Ireland.

Actually according to the Northern Ireland Social Attitudes Survey 1995-1996 only 70% of Catholics want "Northern Ireland to become part of the Republic of Ireland"

This is compared with the 97% of Protestants who want "Northern Ireland to remain part of the United Kingdom"

So the yes the majority of Catholics are nationalist, but not the vast majority, unlike the vast majority of Protestants, who are Unionist.

There are a large proportion of Catholics who do not want a united Ireland at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Originally posted by thesecret7
    We cant afford to have 1.5 millions loosers on the dole.
    your a troll secret!

What was your first clue :p

I dont want to start a flame off but ....
    :D
    I cant accept that people outside the 26 counties should be allowed Irish passports at the drop of a hat. How are they irish?
    :rolleyes:
    Sinn fein have been given the best part of a decade to decomssion (and it is the SinnFein cos every1 knows der the same crew) and it still invovled in drugs, racketerring , fuel , cigarettes etc.
    :o
    I know that the vast majority of Catholics in the north are happy where they are because they share more culturally and ethnically with the Ulster Protestant
    :eek: :rolleyes:
    What the Irish government has to do is make sure that the provos decomission, make peace with the loyalist with more turf pitches etc and thats it
    :confused:
    if you think im a troll dont reply
    :D <<<<<<<<
    ;)

• Advertisement

can you link these figures wickedknight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Two things dave:

- I've answered the majority of Secret questions previously in this thread and others
    - I honestly believe the guy is just trolling and therefore I'm not gonna waste time repeating answers
    We can give figures to back up our arguements
    Who's "we" ?

We can give figures to back up our arguements
    Wickednighty quoted some report I wasn't familiar with. I couldn't find it on the net so asked for the link.
    Where have I been lacking on figures? Just ask like I have done Dave if your interested. But I think the most of this thread was a theoretical debate so far.

You seem to have contributed your usual one sentance jibe here and there as usual on NI issues.

I havent read it properly but I think the "gist" of the argument (and the report) is that more protestants want to see NI as part of the UK than catholics want to see a united Ireland.

However I think a better judge of whether catholics in the north want to join a United Ireland is in the way the vote. The vast majority of catholics voter either SF or SDLP. Both of these parties have a United Ireland mandate

• Advertisement

You're contradicting what the study says though.

At the end of the day the study doesnt matter. Whats influential is the way people vote and at the moment 100% of cathlolics are supporting a united ireland in their voting mannerisms.

P.s I'm not that convinced by the study. My own expreience leads to think differently.
    I've shown how much Northern Ireland would cost our economy
    I don't agree with you economic arguments dave.
    Keep struggling to refute those last two arguement though.
    I'm not struggling dave.
    Maybe I'd get a reply full of smiley faces?
    This isn't the first time you've mentioned this. Do you have a problem with my previous answer.

P.S
    I written pages worth of answers to various questions in here. I just don't have the time today

Actually according to the Northern Ireland Social Attitudes Survey 1995-1996 only 70% of Catholics want "Northern Ireland to become part of the Republic of Ireland"

This is compared with the 97% of Protestants who want "Northern Ireland to remain part of the United Kingdom"

Thank you!!

Mighty_Mouse you can list me all the names of the day but cant call any positives about such an adventure apart from idelology.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

I written pages worth of answers to various questions in here. I just don't have the time today
    Yes, but the arguements seem to be always: "I don't agree with you" (ecomonic arguments) or "that's just ridiculous", etc, etc, without any actual reasons why you don't agree, or why it's ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭David-[RLD]-

Originally posted by daveirl
    You're contradicting what the study says though. Voting for a party doesn't mean you support all of their views. Close to 100% of Catholics vote for the SDLP or SF, but that's probably due to a lack of alternative. As the study says therfore 30% of Nationalist voters oppose a United Ireland.

Find me a study that says the opposite, and I'll stop saying that.

I can't find the one sentence jibes at all. As usual I'm backing up my arguments with logic, reason and statistics. I've shown how much Northern Ireland would cost our economy and shown that it's never going to happen anyway because there are a sizeable minority of Catholics who oppose a United Ireland.

Keep struggling to refute those last two arguement though. Maybe I'd get a reply full of smiley faces?

Study of how many people? 1,000? Typical British way of doing things: go to an orange area like Dunmurray and survey people there. I know Republicans living in Dunmurray and they know that the Loyalists there are always being surveyed and being labeled as "Catholic" or "Protestant" even though they're Loyalists, which is the whole purpose of it. A United Ireland referendum with 100% turnout is the only sure way to know. Anyone with a bit of common sense knows that any kind of survey performed by the British government in the north is somehow rigged.

And how do you know that unification will cost our economy? You're basing your argument on assumptions. There's no proof that it will.

Voting for SF or SDLP means voting for a United Ireland. If you (anyone in general) vote for either of those parties but constantly moan and whine about how you hate the prospect of a United Ireland then you don't deserve to take part in politics. If you're anti-unification then vote for a biased pro-Loyalist party like the DUP or UUP and stop moaning. :ninja:

Yes, but the arguements seem to be always: "I don't agree with you" (ecomonic arguments) or "that's just ridiculous", etc, etc, without any actual reasons why you don't agree, or why it's ridiculous.

:eek: No I usually give full and detailed answers Reef. So you'll find that your wrong there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Johnny 5

I know that the vast majority of Catholics in the north are happy where they are because they share more culturally and ethnically with the Ulster Protestant. Once the terrorisms stops in the north everyone will be happy.

How'd you come to that conclusion?

How'd you come to that conclusion?

They are ALL happy... the provos and the SDLP have this crap about having a united Ireland simply becuase it wsa alwways there. Same with FF, once they got a chance to dump the consittitutional claims they did it!

Opinions poll after opinions polls shows that only 1/4 of catholics wants a united ireland. So its NEVER going to happen. (thank god..)

I was implying that the people who did the survey adopted the British method of doing it.

Obviously I didn't make that clear enough so I apologise.

• Advertisement

They are ALL happy... the provos and the SDLP have this crap about having a united Ireland simply becuase it wsa alwways there. Same with FF, once they got a chance to dump the consittitutional claims they did it!

Opinions poll after opinions polls shows that only 1/4 of catholics wants a united ireland. So its NEVER going to happen. (thank god..)

No, I was talking about your assertion that Northern nationalists have more in common with Ulster protestants than southern nationalists.

how'd you work that out?

No, I was talking about your assertion that Northern nationalists have more in common with Ulster protestants than southern nationalists.

I have seen it one a book about Northern Ireland. Im not trolling here or making it up ... if i can find the book I will give you the link..It was mapped in different colours.. i dont know if you have seen this.

It does stand to sense, since the scottish were histoically were prone to constantly breaking into smaller and smaller factions each hating each other.

It does stand to sense, since the scottish were histoically were prone to constantly breaking into smaller and smaller factions each hating each other.
    How does this proove your point
    Same with FF, once they got a chance to dump the consittitutional claims they did it!

Are you saying that SF and SDLP will drop their claim to a 32 county Ireland "when they get the chance"?
    Mighty_Mouse you can list me all the names of the day but cant call any positives about such an adventure apart from idelology.

what does this mean. Could you re-phrase?

nnnyeessss opinion polls that are held in Loyalist areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Can you post a link to these polls??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by David-[RLD]-

Well, seeing as you're clearly such an expert on where polls were held, and how they were manipulated, perhaps you coudl give us a more detailed demographic breakdown of the locations of the 1000 people who were interviewed....complete with some sources just so we know your dismissal isn't made up.

Oh - and any time you wish to allege any facts or figures, a similar breakdown, complete with linkage again, showing that your figures are based on a unbiased distribution would also be good.

Otherwise, your argument amounts to "I don't want to believe that, so none of you should either".

jc

yes they dont want to join either.
    Can you post a link to these polls??

No i may not.

Might_Mouse the fact of the matter is this: I have none of your heed when you call me such names. It is the truest point that you have nothing of the slightest inclination to explain your reasons for arguement.

How does this proove your point

It does

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

No i may not.

Why not?? I'd like to see the polls?

• Advertisement

I have seen it one a book about Northern Ireland. Im not trolling here or making it up ... if i can find the book I will give you the link..It was mapped in different colours.. i dont know if you have seen this.

My friend, even if by some strange miracle we have anything in common with Ulster Protestants then I'd take a long hard look at yourself, and ask yourself how 80 years changed so much.

Advertisement