Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web Editor

Options
  • 08-03-2004 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I'm currently designing the layout and graphics for a site in Photoshop in one big 1024x768 file. I plan on braking this up and sticking the pieces together with tables etc.

I don't have any editors though, besides Dreamweaver3, which i don't like/can't use. So are there any simpler and free editors?

I remember getting one called Netfusion or something that would allow you to drag images to any location on the site and would write the code to make a table around this. I can't seem to find this again though.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

I always liked MS Frontpage, it comes on Microsoft office 2000 cd 2 I think!

It's really easy to use. I'd rather Dreamweaver though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

wouldn't it be easier to use an image map??

http://www.coffeecup.com/image-mapper/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I'll give that image thing a try.

Is it a good way to go or does it make updating the site a pain?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

if you create a 1024*768 image and use this to create a page does this mean that:-
    your users are going to have to download a lot of images and no text, resulting in longer download times and problems with text only browsers?
    your site is optimised 1024*768 and not all screen sizes?

Well i had planned on creating a site out of the image. Then adding text etc. Thats why i had planned to use tables, to section off each bit for text. I'm not too worried about the file size of the site as most people that would be looking at the site would have broadband anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

http://www.tucows.com/htmledit95_default.html - offers a selection of free or shareware HTML editors. Some are very good and give their commercial counterparts a "run for their money", while others are pretty dire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

1024 * 768 is a background size, it should'nt be a website picture size as people using 1024 * 768 will have menu's and taskbars taking up space.

I'd size that down a bit.

Thanks Blackknight :)

Buddy, your right i forgot about the IE menus. Dreamweaver says 1024*768 when maximised is 955*600 so i'll resize it to that.

Thanks for the help.

Advertisement