Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting my computer to my friends computer

Options
  • 08-03-2004 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭

hey all

I'm running eircom bb at home and my friend has eircom bb too. I was just wondering if I could connect to my friends' comp and get some files..

FTP server?
    web server?
    PC Anywhere?

Which is the handiest? Probably the webserver ?

Thanks in advance
    mada!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Hi

Try Real VNC you can connectto other Pc's but not sure if you can get files from the other PC.

Also try Ultra VNC

Regards

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

do these apps require a fixed IP address (something €ircon don't provide)

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

Real VNC is more for controlling other computers remotely. very good at doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Here's an idea....

Personally I would use FTP if you want to share files - just slightly more "private" shall we say.

Since you most likely have a dynamic ip with yer bb connection - both of you download and install this little free proggie!

http://www.no-ip.com/

This will allow you to create a domain name, somthing like http://tomed.no-ip.com - the proggie will check at a set interval your live ip address and reset the domain name accordingly. pretty useful i used it a lot before I got a dedicated IP address.

hope this helps!

Tom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by kbannon
    do these apps require a fixed IP address (something €ircon don't provide)
    They do, I have a fixed IP at home on Eircom BB.

Personally, if all you want to do is share files then I would use DCC over IRC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Originally posted by The Corinthian
    It depends on the BB package from Eircom. The lower priced home user packages do not have a fixed IP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Originally posted by The Corinthian

The no-ip application will prevent the need for a static ip....

Advertisement