Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orals

Options
  • 08-03-2004 11:50pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 121 ✭✭

Well the orals are a few weeks away. who all here is fuked up the a*s with a iron bar? i know i am:D

also got back my maths today everyone in my pass math class failed my teacher sucks so much monkey balls we still have 6 chapters to go.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

that would be me,

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭one-angry-dwarf

me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Roller Toaster

Got a C in my mock irish oral and 48% in my French one so my grades won't go down because of them and I'm hoping to push both up by a grade or so come the real thing so I should be okayish. I need to practice more french listening though, it brought me down from almost a B to a mid C which is bloody annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ugotpunk'd

i'm kinda in the middle! i got 96% in my french oral but i actually suck so bad at irish it's unreal. my oral brought me down from a B2 to a C3 in irish!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

oh yeah im 18 on saturday going out on the piss all weekend, and paddy's day during the week, leaves no time to study for irish oral at 10am on monday. Ah **** it, i only need to pass it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

Originally posted by Healio
    oh yeah im 18 on saturday going out on the piss all weekend, and paddy's day during the week, leaves no time to study for irish oral at 10am on monday. Ah **** it, i only need to pass it.

Ummmm, isn't it french starting on Monday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Barbie_666

Originally posted by irishpal25
    Well the orals are a few weeks away. who all here is fuked up the a*s with a iron bar? i know i am:D

Ditto.

lol:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Originally posted by subway_ie
    Ummmm, isn't it french starting on Monday?

Depends which side of the city you're on...

yeah its grand now its irish on the 29th woo-hooo im goin to get f*cked off my head!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I think the mock oral results were well messed up in my school, i got an A2 in the irish and i got B2 in french, but ive never even passed a written french paper.
    Well dodgy.
    I have irish on wednesday and im scared!
    Highly screwed for french.

• Advertisement

Mass suicide beckons. It's the only way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

I got 51% in my mock French Oral - honours - fncked up a lot though. Good experience though, I think i'll be less nervous next Monday.

Didn't do an Irish Oral as I'm doing pass.

French is on Monday - my class are first in and there are two examiners, so I should be finished before lunch.

Irish isin't until next Wednesday or Thursday. Haven't done a bit for this - I've haven't done a bite of study since we finished the Mocks last Tuesday.

Everythings been so mixed up as we've had a few days off with Paddy's and the Mocks, and a half day.

Study French until Monday, then Irish after that I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I did well enough in my german oral, C1-B3. But i hope to do better, as i;m using german for points.

I have my actual oral next tuesday (22nd!) so i'm really gonna start learning off the roleplays and picture sequences now. Cramming starts tomorrow. I did grand in the general talking, i was "fluent but not accurate".

The only bad mistake i made was i said my parents were spoiled, instead of saying they were understanding. heh heh heh, but i corrected it after the examiner asked what i meant.

ah yeah lookin forward to my german oral, seen as ive been in der deutsche schule for 14 years. 96% in my mox including an A1 mock oral.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭country_gurl

tá mé ****ail go dona agus na bí ag caint faoi fraincis mar tá mé an- ****ail sa scrudu cainte sin.

my attempt basically to say im fu**ed badly and dont talk bout french coz im very fu**ed in that oral:p

bhuel muinteoir, póg mo thoin

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

*slurp*

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭scoey

Did anyone else get these big fancy intros to learn off? For Irish we got this page with all this crap like "ah hello examinor , welcome to the school,its a fine day today isn't it ,I hope you're having a good day and enjoying marking the exams" and at the end "thank you very much, I enjoyed doing my oral and I hope you enjoy the rest of your day" or some such ****e(in Irish of course). My Irish is on Monday and I'm not too sure about whether or not I'll say it because it sounds far too much like sucking up to me and I know the examiner would spot this, also I'll be going in after about 22 other people who'll have said the exact same thing. What do you all think? Personally I think it'll be a simple "dia duit a duine usail" at the start and a "slan" at the end for me :)

Does everybody know when theyre going to be called for their orals already? Seems to be a huge secret in our school, we're not even sure if they start on Monday or later in the week, getting a little pissed off at this stage. French starts (sometime) this week, if its going be exam numbers, im M, so i should be on the 2nd/3rd day. Trying to pick a film i can say i saw in the cinema/video that i can easily describe for french. I've still gotta get my project bound and start preparing more stuff on it. And if im on Monday, then i need to get working on the Mothers Day thing too, apparently were getting a female examiner, so itll probably come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭plastic_axe

as a word of warning i dont think theyre going be exam number

im 'o' and im on monday

We never got any fancy intros... but that does sound an awful lot like sucking up. And, c'mon, no one's going to believe you if you say "golly gosh Mr/Ms Examiner, I really enjoyed doing that nerve-wracking exam!"

subway_ie, we were told what days and times we were on in my school (I have French on Wednesday et c'est dommage parce que je sois nulle en francais) but we were also warned a while ago to be prepared as we could be called up earlier than we're scheduled for, if people are out or if the examiner's getting through them quickly or whatever. Maybe they just want you guys to be prepared for Monday, rather than letting you breathe easy and know that you've got a day or two more to be prepared? *shrugs* It's senseless, but then again so many things about school are...

• Advertisement

Irish. Monday. 10:30am. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I got german on tuesday, at 3:00 (ish), but i plan to wait outside the room, and skip the queue if i can. The reason being the examiner is going to be very bored by 3:00, and is more likely to ask dodgy questions, and better someone else is asked dodgy questions than me.

AAagghhh, i'm screwed.

Originally posted by plastic_axe
    as a word of warning i dont think theyre going be exam number

im 'o' and im on monday

I suppose its different in all schools, like the way they have french in some (like mine) this week, and in others french is next week. Our teacher also got us to write or names and numbers down on pieces of paper, so maybe theyre trying out a random selection thing or something? If it goes by alaphabetical order/exam numbers then i shouldnt be too bad a) because im in the middle/end and b) because the 5 people before and after me arent so good at french, so i suppose it gives me a better chance. Any suggestions on a film thats easy to describe in french?

Originally posted by subway_ie
    I suppose its different in all schools, like the way they have french in some (like mine) this week, and in others french is next week.

No, that's the Dept of Education who organises that.

I think all films are going to be equally difficult to describe - if it's easy to relate the storyline you could still get asked tricky questions. Try picking a film that you can talk about that'll lead onto another subject you want to discuss.

The (dept. of education) State Exams Commission dont organise the timetable, they just provide the examiner. in my school the vice principal split up the irish class into the higher and ordinary and based the timetable on that i.e ordinary are on from 9 til about 1 then the higher on are on til 3. then for german the same thing sort of, the native speakers are on last i.e 1 til 3 with us foreign language students on before 9 til 1. there is also a lot of bribing going on for slots, so if you are drawn early see if you can sell your slot at a profit, i was put in for 10.30 for german but swopped for €20 to go last at 1.15 the last lad before the natives, you mite say im mad but i get a nice lie on!!!!

Originally posted by claire h
    I think all films are going to be equally difficult to describe - if it's easy to relate the storyline you could still get asked tricky questions. Try picking a film that you can talk about that'll lead onto another subject you want to discuss.

The problem is that films are a key link between my town/urban decay/hobbies/what i do at weekends, so im looking for one that has a fairly simplistic plot which i can easily describe, like i cant pick something like Fight Club and totally mess up all my links.
    Originally posted by Healio
    i was put in for 10.30 for german but swopped for €20 to go last at 1.15 the last lad before the natives, you mite say im mad but i get a nice lie on!!!!

Why would you be mad? Youd be before the natives, the examiner would have graded you before she even saw them, so it should really make any difference to your exam at all... Assuming everybody who goes before you isnt practically fluent...

well im in the deutsche schule 14 years now so it makes no odds to me, this girl was like dont let me be last so i was like €20 i'll swop, and der you go a nice profit and lie on. ye the german teacher really organised the time table well anyways, its made out the fairest way possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭pseudonym

Reminds me of my nerve wracking few days before the orals last year. Its nowhere near as bad as you think its goin to be (altho I did **** up french). Its all about manipulating the examiner to bring up something you have learnt off, or to get away from a conversation that you have no idea about. Phrases like "it doesnt really bother me" etc are handy (ive forgotten them all by now so dont expect translations), and the ability to bullsh*t spontaneously is also useful. If you get on a roll youre fine, but staring blankly at the examiner, mumbling incoherently (again french) and biting your lip doesnt go down too well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭The Weatherman

i had my French today.

i need to ask a question......

i did well i suppose yet i felt i wasn't really challenged. is this a bad sign?

i really didn't show how well i could do. i'm quite good at French, and was kind of dissappointed that i didn't take control of the conversation. however, i got no verbs wrong or anything, no major mistakes, so it's hard to see where i'll be marked down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

holy ****, when are the french orals? Why wasn't I informed!? Oh right... I need to turn up for school once in a while...

Advertisement