Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orals

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

i think something weird is goin on cos i had my irish today and granted im not that good at irish i still found it kinda easy....

der was other higher level girls tryin to bring drugs and the war in iraq, spain etc into the conversation and the examiner jumped right in and asked them eg. "wat ya did last week end?"

maybe it just that we were on the first day....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭smelly girl

just had my german orals today. lets just say, when she stopped the tape, she let out a loooong breath, sat back, and said thank ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Originally posted by smelly girl
    just had my german orals today. lets just say, when she stopped the tape, she let out a loooong breath, sat back, and said thank ****.
    Is that a good or bad thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

how well do you think you did? By the sounds of it, the examiner was happy you were leaving... not always a good thing.

We're you the last exam of the day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Roller Toaster

Had mine today, it was moved from 10:30 to 9am so I was the first person in the whole school to do it :eek:
    It wasn't too bad...I don't think I used quite as many adjectives as I could have but things went pretty much fine and I understood all the questions. At the end she said go hiontach so I was pretty happy with that...and the fact that it's finally over.

• Advertisement

Just did my german, and all i can say is... WOOOOOO!!! I'm so happy the f'in thing is over!

It went well enough, i got Drogen - Nein Danke and Anruf Beim Artz, two easy ones. I was hoping that Im Zug wouldnt come up, as it's a bitch.

All in all, i'm very happy. I even managed to crack a joke in german! It was unbelievable, i made the examiner laugh! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

What was the joke?

I've Irish tomorrow and I'm not really worried about it, nor am I really expecting to do very well. German is next week. I should be okay for that. Bah I wish these would end already.

Did anyone keep messing up in Irish by talking in German? I know I'm gonna keep doing this :/

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭brian_ire

does anybody know how to translate "Sh1t-creek", "up" "paddle" and "without a" into French or Irish,

Thanx

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    how well do you think you did? By the sounds of it, the examiner was happy you were leaving... not always a good thing.

We're you the last exam of the day?

NO!!! i was 3rd!!!
    yeah she then went, "dont worry, its over."
    cue sigh from me.
    then she said "yes i know, a bit of a combined effort."
    em, okkkk...

yes, so those who havent done their orals yet, remember,
    IT CAN GO WRONG, AND IF YOU THINK IT WILL GO WRONG, IT WILL!!

Good luck!!!!!,

auf wiedersehen!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 121 ✭✭irishpal25

I did my French oral today. got the examiner taqlking about music and wrestling for most of it which was good for me. she was cool cause she helped us along alot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I've got my irish oral tomorrow. I'm currently chewing my hair and pulling out my nails, or something to that effect.
    I've got a horrible feeling I'll just draw a blank throughout the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

:confused: Dont suppose anyone fancies scannning in some Irish notes or linking to them? I did class in French, I was in for 20 minutes, but I'm absoloutlely screwed in Irish, I wont even understand the questions :( . To make matters worse, my teacher is a complete pile of ****, she only started the oral work last week. I cant really blame her completely, but shes not helping.

Is there even an Irish translator on the internet? I really need to learn off cupla focail, and I have jack **** from my teacher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

http://skoool.ie/skoool/examcentre_sc.asp?id=666 <-- not terribly useful, but gives you a good idea of what topics to concentrate on, and has a few potentially-useful links.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

Just did my french orals today - totally fcuked it up. Examiner asked me why i would want to go to college in limerick with all the family feuds and violence there, and why there's such violence and what i thought of the verdicts in the Anabel case. Sounds easy now, but i was totally stumped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Did me Irish one yesterday and I'm happy with it. She asked me one dodgy question, it was what would I do if I was principal. Hadn't done any work on that "I would" tense so I groaned for 30 seconds until she changed to subject :)

The rest of it was fine.. I was just ****eing on about my family and my hobbies alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

learn how to say 'I dont care about that' so when they ask you about tribunals or whatever, you can, like I did, just brush it off without losing marks:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Doctor Funfrock

orals are easy just be confident and show what you know! thats all you can do!!

Did my French today, nothing hard. The hardest question he asked me was 'What's the cultural differences between Hong Kong and Ireland". Thank god he didn't ask me any other abstract topics.

ok, i didnt do french i did german. but how the hell did hong kong come up??????

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

irish tomorrow....
    me ****ting a brick!

hold me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

German on Thursday. I'm relaxed enough, I've gotten a lot of grinds and I've done a good bit of work... and the fact that's it's late in the week gives more time too. My examiner is called Tulley and he/she is from Carlow. Anyone get him/her? I know it's a needle in a haystack, but worth a shot. Please don't bullsh|t, it's my Leaving we're talking about here.

I think we have a woman from Carlow for German as well. My oral is tomorrrow. Where abouts do you go to school?

Originally posted by smelly girl
    ok, i didnt do french i did german. but how the hell did hong kong come up??????
    My folks are from Hong Kong ya see, and I brought it up by stating that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

if you get asked difficult questions towards the end of the exam dont worry cos it means you`re doing well and that the examiner is trying to help you go for top marks. ive got my irish tomorrow. hope everything will be ok

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I just finished mine. WOooo. THank god Im fluent.

WooWOoWOo!!!! FREEE! i never have to speak another word of irish or german again, Woo! I initally drew a blank in irish, but i waffled enough to get me a pass, and tahts all i need. As long as i get 40% in pass irish i'm happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭The Song Thrush

I had French, German and Irish orals to do.
    French and German weren't bad, about what I was expecting. Irish was a breeze, but I suppose that's because I'm fluent in it anywayz.
    But the Irish examiner was a bit of a fruitloop. She kept some people in for 25-30 mins. I was in for 20 minutes, and some people she asked questions like "What kind of flowers are currently in bloom?" and "How do you make a lasagne?". :dunno:

Originally posted by Demeant0r
    My folks are from Hong Kong ya see, and I brought it up by stating that.

opphs, sorry!
    yeah had my irish today, was the 2nd last in.
    I had prepared lots for the bloody thing and in the end she kept asking me about my room and what i saw when i looked out my window and what flowers grew out there.......
    Ahhh!!
    she kept cutting me off as well if i started to go on any more than five seconds...
    Was seriously pissed coming out because she wouldnt even ask any of the I Would tenses andi was out in five minutes.
    For another girl in my year she forgot to tape it so she had to do it again.
    The second time her phone rang
    AND SHE ANSWERED IT!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

my french went deadly yesterday. he started challenging me all these ridiculous abstract opics ("give me 1500 words on creativity"), but it went like a breeze.

• Advertisement

Loads of people seem to have been asked really hard questions. There was none of that in any of our orals as far as I know. I was asked about the really easy stuff like family, hobbies, area and what I want to do next year in both Irish and German. Just lucky I guess :)

Advertisement