Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any idea ?

Options
  • 09-03-2004 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm on Win2k Pro. The comp has been acting a tad weird since yesterday. The shortcuts for explorer, outlook, desktop and messenger have suddenly a white background.

Whenever I open a link in another browser window that window doesnt load it up. I have to click stop and then refresh for it to load properly. I've noticed a general decrease in the performance of the internet. Currently on avast anti virus. Its not picked anything up as of yet.

Anyone know what could be cause ing the problem ? Avast is updated to its current version.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Forgot to mention. Find doesnt work in IE.

I've downloaded IE 6 plus updates again. Made no difference!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

try for spyware using Ad-Aware - www.lavasoftusa.com.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Is it only when the icons are on the desktop ? If you create a folder on the desktop and then move the icons into the folder do you get the same.

only time i get anything like that is memory problems (i.e. not enough) - installed any new apps , made changes, when was last time it was working ok.

I uninstalled any software that was installed since the problem occured. I doubt its a memory issue. Currently have 1 gig, never noticed over 350 being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Schedule a disk check

Open a command prompt and type chkdsk c: /f

Because the drive is in use, dont unmount it, but allow windows to check the disk on next reboot.

Reboot the machine and it will check to see if there are any errors on the disk.

That will at least rule out anything suspect at that level.

How up to date is your AV software?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

is it a laptop? 9/10 times its a problem comming out of power save mode, if it is

Nope tis a desktop :)

I did the scandisk no improvement. I uninstalled Avast (Which was up to date) and zone alarm. Installed AVG And Sygate firewall. Found some trojan deleted that but IE is still acting the same (Can't use find and if a new window opens it doesnt load!)

Can anyone tell me how to uninstall IE fully or is that possible without killing windows ? I can't seem to find it in Add / remove programs.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

switch off all the power save options and see how that goes

e.g. turn off hard disk never, system standby never etc

Originally posted by damnyanks
    Can anyone tell me how to uninstall IE fully or is that possible without killing windows ? I can't seem to find it in Add / remove programs.
    try start >> settings >> control panel >> add/remove progs >> add remove windoze components >> untick MSIE
    Cant verify if it works fully or if it will bugger up your system

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Zentoad

Check out the MS Website...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293907&Product=ie600
    The link also refers to the article Q293907.

Alternatively. How about using Mozilla instead!

//JOC

• Advertisement

Actually have Mozilla here as well. Family prefers IE :)

change family? :D

Advertisement