Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will IBB be good enough for games?

• 09-03-2004 1:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

I just moved house and surprise surfcukingprise my new phone line is failing BB tests... yawn....

Anyway, other than paying €120 for a new line and still not being garunteed success, would I get decent pings from Irish Broadband? I live in a high building (well no obstuctions that I can see) in Terenure so should be in range of either Guinness or Three rock transmitters...

I mainly want the service for online gaming - so pings are more important to me than caps. Is the wireless service reliable for pings when you are at a goodly distance from the transmitter?

Or am I just better to buy a new phone line which in all likelihood would see me pass the BB test?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Jonnie_Onion

Speed of light baby. It's fast. Distance from the transmitter isn't your worry, it's possible interference you should worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Don't bother with IBB. I'm in the Dublin 12 area and on the Guinness Transmitter. For the last month pings are in the region of 1000ms and download speeds between 3KB/s and 20KB/s. Their support/customer care is virtually non-existant also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Atreides

Originally posted by HelterSkelter
    Don't bother with IBB. I'm in the Dublin 12 area and on the Guinness Transmitter. For the last month pings are in the region of 1000ms and download speeds between 3KB/s and 20KB/s. Their support/customer care is virtually non-existant also.

I find this hard to believe, can anyone verify this, pings of that level would make the service slower then sat. Are you by chance on ripwave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I can verify that i used to get pings in the 1000's, averaging 600 was the lowest i use to get. Packet loss was generally low (less than 5%), but thats still too much

BUT, i finally was switched over to better equipment, and now pings are >2ms to their server, and >10ms to boards, and in game its >60ms always. Very good for gaming. To test out my connection, and put some presssure on it, i decided to try download and uploadig while playing, and you'll be pleasantly surprised at the results...

I got a stable ping of 60ish when i was downloading at 20kb/sec, and uploading at 45kb/sec while playing counterstrike.

I could get a relatively stable ping (less than 110, but spiking between 70 and 120 at times) if i upped it to 35kb/sec down, and 50kb/sec up.

As you can see, thats pretty damn good. If someone wants screenshots or something to verify this, then please, tell me what you want me to do.

Originally posted by Skanger
    I find this hard to believe, can anyone verify this, pings of that level would make the service slower then sat. Are you by chance on ripwave.

I'm on Breeze Home Plus. I'll send you screenshots if you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Jonnie_Onion

Originally posted by HelterSkelter

Not everyone will suffer these problems, and there's a week cooling off period, so you can test it first.

Their support/customer care is virtually non-existant also.

I'd disagree with that completely! I found they always answered the calls (so long as you stayed on the line) within about 10 minutes, and its just an 01 number, so its not hugely expensive.

Once you got talking to one of them, they did the usual testing if you had a problem, and did their best to sort something out.

My only complaint with them is they rarely ring back when they say they will. Often i had to ring them back to get status updates etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

Does anyone have any experience of buying a new line in order to get broadband??? I mean, I'd pay the cash if I though it was gonna be successful (ie I would then pass teh BB test) - I don't really care what service I get as long as it works...

Worth ordering a new line? Or go with IBB?

my pings at the moment:

Ping statistics for 216.239.59.99:
    Packets: Sent = 95, Received = 95, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 33ms, Maximum = 81ms, Average = 45ms
    Control-C
    ^C

pinged google btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Killah_B
    Worth ordering a new line? Or go with IBB?
    Go with IBB if you can get it. If you can dump your landline you'll also save 24 euros a month immediately there.

• Advertisement

Just out of interest, has anyone actually dumped their phone line after getting IBB? If so, how do they get incoming phone calls now etc.

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    Just out of interest, has anyone actually dumped their phone line after getting IBB? If so, how do they get incoming phone calls now etc.

What do you mean? You can't get incoming calls if you don't have a phone line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

Well, I was on to IBB regarding pings cos I don't want to order this if the pings are bad...

anyway, to be honest they were nice but i kinda got the vibe they didn't knwo what I was talking about...

I had been talking to a guy that works for digiweb that I emt through work, and he said that they were setting up a dedicated games service were they would garuntee pings of 20ms or less... that was what he figured were necessary for gaming...

I thought less tahn 100ms was good enough for gaming but IBB told me (keep in mind I totally thought they were just winging it and didnt know what they were talking about) that the would only get 100ms on a good day...

this has gotta be wrong, so I'm still willing to give them a go...

Currently waiting on hearing back from a dude I met who works for eircoms DSL servie - hoping he can get my line cleared....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

Yeah we dropped our landline. If you have a mobile, you don't really need the landline. No more money goes from our house to Eircom, at all.

Advertisement