Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router connection question

Options
  • 09-03-2004 4:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

I know a bit of a noobie question but a friend who is on IOL BB with a zyxel usb modem like everyone else wants me to hook this up to a Linksys wireless router.

Now my question is pure and simple the router takes an ethernet modem connection but the supplied zyxel is USB , i assume there is a usb/ethernet adaptor is there ?
    And if so where can i get one and for how much ?

Quite an embarressing question actually as probably know enough ( thanks to boards ) to set it up , but am stumped at the first hurdle as to connect the two together.

:dunno:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

You'd be better off replacing the USB modem with an ethernet one - less hassle in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

You dont need a converter to make this work. Setup depends on what OS u are using. If your gateway machine is XP just plug them both in and enable ICS on the zyxel usb modem and allow the the Linksys router to share it. Setup any client machines to obtain IP address automatically.

If your not using XP it s a bit different, but not too bad.

If u just want to bash it together the above will work. If u want a nice solution get the ethernet modem and a small switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭chopster

Thanx guys , dermCu , how do you enable ics on the zyxel and allow the router to share it ? He is on Xp so that's not a prob.

My next question is this , do the combo dsl modem/routers have an input connection for a phone line ? As this is the way the iol BB is setup ie. via self install. So whatever i need to connect to BB has to be from a phone line input connection not ethernet.

Personally i am on esatbt business which is an ethernet connection so am not too familiar with this type of setup.
    Surely there must be someway to hook up this type of setup wirelessly and i'm sure someone here has done it.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

To enable ICS in XP just go to Network Connections >right click on the zyxel connection > advanced tab > tick allow other computers to connect through this computers connection > it should allow you to specify the Linksys.

On the config page of the Linksys you will have to tell it to get an IP address from the connected device, not sure where this is on the Linksys as I have a 3com.

That sould be it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Originally posted by chopster
    My next question is this , do the combo dsl modem/routers have an input connection for a phone line ?

Yeah - any box that includes a DSL modem will have a phone-type (RJ-11) socket. If you're using a combo modem/router of any sort, you won't need the USB modem, although AFAIK IOL do not support any equipment other than the ZyXEL supplied.

Plenty of people around here have this kind of setup, using D-Link, Netgear, Linksys, and various other boxes.

• Advertisement

cheers guys , will have a look at DermCu option first then any probs will change the router.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

you can get a linksys wireless router ADSL gateway.

If it doesnt say gateway you still need a modem, the gateway costs about €200 and acts as a 4 port router and a wireless access point (you need to put a wireless card into it to activate the access point feature).

The current zyxel modems provided by IOL BB are USB and Ethernet compatible, but if you are using a linksys router (non-gateway version) the modem connects to the ethernet port on the router and not the WAN port.... which is a bit strange.

cheers guys , will have a look at DermCu option first then any probs will change the router.

:)

Advertisement