Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

woodworm

• 09-03-2004 7:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of a cheap remedy to eradicate this beetle from rafters?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I,m a bit confused with your problem, Woodworm is a lava grub which comes from a egg and bores its way into timber and continues to eat the timber untill it nears adulthood and then turn into a small fly and flyes away to lay more eggs and the process continues.

Woodworm was a major problem years ago(40+ years ago) when conditions in houses were differant and woodworn thrive in damp conditions but since the the advent of central heating the problem has lessened. All new timber is treated. These days although not woodworm proof they don't like the timber and are less prone the attack the timber.

If the timber is badly effected the only solution wood be to replace the effected rafters and remember that if you see only a handful of holes it does'nt mean that its not badly effected as the worm only bores a visible hole when entering the timber and exiting the wood. If the timber can be treated a product I wood recomend would be Cuprinols Woodworkm killer available in most DIY stores you can soak the timber in it and it will kill the worms and make the timber untouchable by them for years to come or it can be injected by a syringe into the holes.

If like your question which its a beetle eating your timbers it would be the Dutch Beetle, They have a large hole compared to the woodworms dart size hole thats a hole (pardanthe pun) differant problem.

any other questions just post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭emmemm

Thanks for that .Been surfing and discovered BORON is good(bad) for woodworm.Anyone used this?Where can I get it?Its way cheaper than other remedies and greener too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Boron is an element - since you won't be getting it in this state, I'm not going to be looking it up.

most usually seen as sodium borate = borax was used as an eye wash in the past.

Toxic chemicals = greener ???
    Boron is not biodegradable whereas many species of pseudomonas can breakdown organic compounds :D

no idea what is in cuprinol

[edit] http://www.hse.gov.uk/hthdir/noframes/bluebook/Section11.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kapilv

Hi! i would like to suggest you to use either professional timber treatment services or you have to use preservatives to removes fungi and wood borer insects like arsenic, Copper, chromium. first one will be a better option if you do not have much experience of preservatives and do not know how to use them in a optimal way.

Advertisement