Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driven off the road - need help

Options
  • 09-03-2004 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 65,376 ✭✭✭✭
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Going down a country lane this morning, I was confronted by an articulated lorry that forced me to the very left side of the road where I could not avoid going into a massive pothole with the front passenger side wheel

Tyre burst and is now a goner :(

The tyres were bolted so tightly that I couldn't unbolt them myself so had to get the AA out. They were fairly quick (just over half an hour), very friendly and professional and changed the wheel for me. All praise for the AA :)

Leaves me with an expensive tyre to replace. My question is: where would you get Continental ContiSportContact 245/45 R18 96 Y in the greater Dublin area. Price is a concern of course

Appreciate any suggestions...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

eiretyres.com - €246 for your tyre I think and fitting at an associated fitter a couple of quid extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Try Bluebell Tyres over by the Naas Rd or Thorton Tyres in Kilmainham

• Registered Users Posts: 65,376 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That's my tyre exactly Mailman

Nice site with very good choice of tyres. Ringing a few places this morning but got a best quote so far of €230 including fitting / balancing / VAT

(got quotes between €230 and €320)

Thanks for your help though :)

Thanks Borzoi

Bluebell Tyres quoting €300, Thorton Tyres quoting €315. The Continental recommended retail price for one of these tyres is €320

The median quote I'm getting is about €270. Have gotten a quote from about 8 places now

The lowest still €230 - think I'll go with that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Banjo013

Jaysus are these tyres made of gold or something ?? €230+ for 1 tyre ???!

• Advertisement

It appears they're pretty much the best tyres available. Most permormance cars are fitted out with these nowadays. Still got 3 good ones, so I'd be foolish to replace the burst tyre with a cheapo one

Also still fancy to let it out sometime on the Autobahn at 150mph :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

you cant beat good tires man! Savage grip and stopping ability. Id spend anything on tyres, one of the most important safety parts of a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by unkel
    Going down a country lane this morning, I was confronted by an articulated lorry that forced me to the very left side of the road where I could not avoid going into a massive pothole with the front passenger side wheel
    Spilt milk and all that, but why didn't you just stop until the truck passed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭oneweb

Originally posted by Victor
    Spilt milk and all that, but why didn't you just stop until the truck passed?
    T'was a milk truck?

:p

It is what it's.

Originally posted by Victor
    why didn't you just stop until the truck passed?

That's what I attempted by breaking sharpishly and moving to the side of the road. At the point where I came to a standstill and where the tyre burst because of hitting a very sharp and deep pothole, I estimate the road to be about 4 meters wide, so there was not a hope for the lorry to pass me. I (knowing my tyre had burst at this stage) reversed about 50 meters to where the road was wider, to let the truck pass

I haven't gone back to the spot to look at the pothole, but I would imagine it to be very sharp and possibly about 8-12 inches deep

I feel the insult of so many roads left in this third world condition is added to my injury of paying €1341 per annum in road tax for the 9-10k miles I drive :mad:

Anyway, got the tyre fitted at lunchtime today. Paid €230 which is a nice saving of 30% off the retail price of the tyre. My next cheapest quote was €265 iirc and the average was about €300

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭KoNiT

I feel the insult of so many roads left in this third world condition is added to my injury of paying €1341 per annum in road tax for the 9-10k miles I drive

whats the car? 2.5litre?

3.5 liter. A flat rate of €1341 per annum applies to all cars over 3000cc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

BTW Where did you get such a good proice on the tyre in the end?

Sorry, should have shared that. It was Kwikfit Naas Road. Sound chaps + manager and easy for me to get to and by far the best price :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Its a fiat if you can only go 9-10 kms a year:D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

IIRC you only have a claim against them if you can show that they had been warned about this before and didn't act upon it.

Originally posted by cableguy
    No harm in trying:rolleyes:

Indeed there isn't cableguy - thanks for the help :)

I thought they weren't obliged to do anything for me for the exact reasons Killian mentioned, but maybe they do in some cases. Wouldn't require a lot of effort to examine/measure the pothole and take pictures, do up a letter to the council and include above and the invoice

Out of the country this week, but will check it out when I'm back

Advertisement