Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

teenager forum

Options
  • 09-03-2004 1:10pm
    Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭

was talking to dev about this at the beer's.

in short, a forum where teenagers can discuss issues that effect teenagers,
    school, dating, part time jobs and experiance to share with the world.

what you think,

could fit in society easily
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Atreides

would those issue not be better cattered for with advice from people who have been through those problems and survived, aka wisers and old members? Part time jobs owuld be best suited to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

tend to agree with agent smith that it would be nice to have a place where teens can discuss teen things but it would need such heavy modding that I cant imagine anyone would want that job.

You couldnt let anyone just Mod it... it would have to be someone with a bit of wisdome and general cop on. Personally I find it difficult to tell the differance between a troll and a teenager at times...

its a tough one, but I think its a great idea providing some good mods are in place.

Alan

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Originally posted by smiaras
    at least that way if they're looking for advice they might just get it from someone who is slightly responsible

You're saying teenagers are incapable of giving responsible advice?
    would those issue not be better cattered for with advice from people who have been through those problems and survived, aka wisers and old members?

The world we live in today is different to that of 10 or 20 years ago, as are the teenagers. Wouldn't they be better catered for with advice from people who have gone through (or are going through) the problems faced by teenagers in today's world? Not to mention that when advice is dished out to teenagers by the "wisers and old members" (thinking specifically of the PI forum here) it often borders on abusive. Young people won't respond postively to that, but they will respond positively to a fellow teenager giving their thoughts, I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

i dont see this as a necessary forum ...

if teens have a personal issue, theres a personal issues forum, if they have somethin off the wall there's after hours, etc.

i dont see why its necessary to segregate by age.

• Advertisement

Would you not accept that there are enough issues affecting teenagers today that warrant a seperate board?

Its all well and good to point to PI, but if I had a serious (well, as serious as personal problems get for teenagers) personal problem, I wouldn't post within a gajillion miles of PI. Have you read PI lately? The way in which the information is posted is often incredibly condescending and patronising, and I'd imagine this would be very offputting for teenagers (who crave nothing more than to be treated like adults, and whatnot).

I'd agree that after-hoursish topics should remain on after-hours etc, but there's still plenty of topics that the board could cover.

PI, by its nature, attracts trolls and self-righeous, I-know-best types. Couple this with the sheer volume of posting, and you get plenty of unhelpful posts.

A 'Teenagers' board would attract, well, teenagers (and Dustaz, probably - but he gets everywhere, especially if it increases his chances with nubile young girls). Teenagers are, despite the popular myths, by in large an intelligent group of people, and are quite capable of discussing serious issues. You'll obviously get trolls, but trolls can be dealt with as they are on most other forums.

On a seperate point, there are plenty of not-so-serious issues that could be discussed on the board too. What to do in Dublin if you're not 18, as an example off the top of my head.

Stopping the PI gang with their unhelpful advice does pose a problem, but a few stern warnings, bannings whatever would surely sort them out. I'd say it would also be the type of board that'd build up a community of sorts - posters would get to know whose advice is worth the metaphorical paper its written on.

Obviously restricting access soley to teenagers is a completely unworkable idea. I'd be in favour of allowing the discussion of alcohol on the board (because hey, they talk about it in real life, and read about it on the food/drink board). Adice on buying drink illegally etc. would obviously be considered bold, don't want DeVore receiving phone-calls from young John's mammy after he hospitalizes himself from alcohol poisoning.

Of course, this is a somewhat pointless discussion until the Will Of The Admins is unveiled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

Of course, this is a somewhat pointless discussion until the Will Of The Admins is unveiled.

hardly, the admins will read this thread, consider the arguments each person makes, and decide if a new forum is required. Or at least thats my understanding of how F - S works ... am i wrong ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Pretty much. There's a bit of a backlog at present though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I think its probably going to attract trolls by the dozen.

And again, I think its covered by PI, after hours, LC and any other forum you care to mention.

Good points made about patronsing replies on the PI forum, however some of the most patronising posts I've seen haven't necessarily come from older boards members, if you catch my drift.

Will it be exclusive to teenagers for posting? No? Well then its just a PI and AH merged under a different name.

It hink we've seen alot of boards suggestions for segregated groups. These are't being suggested to deal with a specific issue (like LC or A/M/D) but seem to be suggested as a place where certain people can go to post (men, teens, etc, etc).
    I don't understand this. Surely everyone on boards was or is a teen, so would be qualififed to give *some* perspective.

It does't matter how times have changed, as a "teen issue" isn't going to be the same experience for everyone at any point in time any more than it will be for two teens living in different environments (rural vs. city for example).

I think if you are going to put in boards like this, wher ethe niche is already catered for, then rearrange the boards into forum sections and have Teens, PI etc in the same heading run by the same mods etc etc. But its gona get very confusing around here soon if boards like this appear (no offence amp, but I think the Games section is a case in point, its the most confusing place to post on boards).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I think it'd be a good idea, but its gonna need a very good mod

As a teenager, i think I would use it, and some of the other suggested forums will scare you off with the immediate reaction, people often dont take teenagers seriously, at least our own forum will mean we'll be taken more so

As for the trolls, well its easer to distinguish trolls from teens when you actually are a teenager, so one solution to that would be to have either the mod, or one of 2 mods a teenage user

Raph

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Barbie_666

Originally posted by Raphael
    people often dont take teenagers seriously.

its easer to distinguish trolls from teens when you actually are a teenager, so one solution to that would be to have either the mod, or one of 2 mods a teenage user

Raph

I agree with Raphael here.Most people think that teenagers dont have half of a brain between them, which is, in SOME cases, quite true, but please, dont tar us all with the one brush!
    (or judge us by our posts...)

A teenage forum, controlled by teenagers, is quite a good idea though...

lol.
    xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I'm no expert on this but aren't the majority of boards users teenagers?

Me? well I've yet to enter my teenage years so I wouldn't be able to post there but I think that there's plenty of boards that already cater for teen needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

this is all a bit silly i think.

for the various issues teens might face, there's already a board.

why would u lump it all into one general forum?

What exact issues are there that would apply to a teen that would have to go in a teens forum that would not fit somewhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

The irony in this becomes apparent when you realise that agent smith just lost his modship on collarsup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

CTYI is a board of screamagers already. It could be used as an example of a board that works/doesn't work ? I'm sure crash_jailbait would be able to say what its like.

If people are afraid to post to PI because of trolls and the regular chicken-hawks then that issue should be addressed with the PI mods. Starting a new board because another has gone all spammy is not a solution. PI handles all the teenage problems well enough as it is.

Originally posted by amp
    I'm no expert on this but aren't the majority of boards users teenagers?

Me? well I've yet to enter my teenage years so I wouldn't be able to post there but I think that there's plenty of boards that already cater for teen needs.

amp, you registered in 1999. were you 7 or younger?

also you were born in 1974 according to your profile, 30 is quite firmly beyond teens

just making a point..

[edit] and then theres your picture in the know your nerds gallery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭patch

Actually I think you may well have missed the point Raphael mate. ;)
    Why don't all the pissed off teens start up Teenagers.ie or summat?

also you were born in 1974 according to your profile, 30 is quite firmly beyond teens

just making a point..

[edit] and then theres your picture in the know your nerds gallery

Hmmmm.....

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Originally posted by amp

Ho ho ho.
    just making a point..

he he he...

you could cut the tension with a knife!!!!:D

lol

Originally posted by yellum
    CTYI is a board of screamagers already. It could be used as an example of a board that works/doesn't work ? I'm sure crash_jailbait would be able to say what its like.

Thats a bad example yellum, CTYI deals specifically with people who have gone to the Centre for Talented Youth Ireland, its a very specific community, and the only reason that it doesnt work is due to large amount of numbers (IMHO)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Thats a bad example yellum... and the only reason that it doesnt work is due to large amount of numbers (IMHO)

I didn't say it was an example of something that didn't work. I don't have an opinion of it except that it was a youth board.

I'm not sure what your point is about it not working due to large numbers. What do you mean exactly ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Raphael, you just managed to embarass yourself. twice. well done. now run along. :P

Eh, yeah, re: CTYI it is generally full of angsty eejits, but tbh its a very different case. tis one of those boards that has seasonal lulls and there are always other threads running other than the angsty ****e.

I'd say this might be a bit of a good idea simply due to the number of replies you see on PI to threads such as "i really like this girl in school". while this advice is grand its generally from people at least 10 years older than the poster, and in a case like that the poster isnt looking for some 26yr old's opinion but rather someone around their own age who has gone through the same thing.

On a whole i think it *might* work....PI can be a bit of a bitch to get what you need from - i used it once for a serious problem (oddly enough serious as all problems go, not just teenage problems) and it did very little whereas if i'd probably had the ability to talk to someone of my own age objectively (couldnt in said situation talk to mates) it probably would've been easier to deal with and handle.

And Yellum, ffs come up with more inventive ways to refer to me as jailbait would you? its embarassing how little effort you're putting in these days :P

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Oh hang on - you mean it could reduce the number of 'does she like me' threads on PI?? If so it gets a big thumb up from me.

And of course if it does go ahead then as everyone has said so far, and as it must go in the course of a new forum - this should be modded very heavily, the emphasis on moderator intervention being an integral facet of such a forum's creation and sustainance should be applied. I cannot stress enough that this forum must be heavily moderated. This forum should have good moderators and the moderators should be of number no less than 1 and no more than 5. Such strong yet fair moderating would most definately be the crucial crux of this forum's existance. This forum should really have unbiased moderators. Impartial moderating is extremely important and highly sensitivelyness of necessity. Make sure you get moderators for this forum. And make sure the moderators are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Gordon the only thing i actually took from that post was
    Moderators.

anyway yes i could see it reducing the "does she like my threads". well actually just transplanting them. god i pity the poor saps who end up modding this if it goes through :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

thumbs up from me as long as you take it further... lock everyone under the age of 18 in the "teenager" board and don't let them post anywhere else.

Advertisement