Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murphy gets Ireland Call up

• 09-03-2004 2:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

Geordan Murphy back in Ireland squad

Geordan Murphy has been called up for the 30 man Ireland squad in preperation for the RBS six nations game against Italy in Lansdowne Road!!!

I think its great news for the Irish team to have him back. I dont think he will start the game but he may be in the 22 man squad as a replacement!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

He'll almost certainly get a run at some point in the game. Good to see him back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

He always adds a great curring edge for us when he plays. It's good to see him coming back, especially since he's recovering from a serious injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Welcome back Geordan.

I must comment that the training squad has alot of quality in there. Hopefully we'll see players like D. Wallace and Kelly getting a chance. Although at such a crucial stage i.e we need as many points as possible I can't seee EOS changing around too much unless Dempsey doesn't recover which might see a reshuffle of the backs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

I think he picked that back row going on their performances in the world cup. I know Foley got dropped for one game but apart from that they were solid.

I'd like to see Wallace especially get a chance soon, especially in some test games if not at the end of the 6 nations. With Big Vic on the way out soon there will be a position available. Gleeson performed well in the world cup and had a good game Vs England but he's a bit inconsistant lately. With Wallace and Quinlan (coming back soon), Foley, Easterby and Gleeson - there will be alot of competition in the back row. Nice to have such a scenario as far as I'm concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

I'd love to see Wallace back in the squad, along with quinlan when his back from injury but an all munster 6,7,8 is never going to happen, dare to dream :)

Murphy is the counter attacking edge we lack in our back 3, not taking anything way from the guys that are there atm, their solid but with Murphy back, Murphy, Hickie and Horgan is a world class selection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

hopefully he wont play kelly cause hes not good enough for international- remember his crap proformance against france?

so daveirl thats why he doesnt rate kelly!

I think it is quite possible that there will be a future Munster 6,7,8 but I do hope that Munster/Irish rugby fans don't see that as their main objective in supporting the Irish team:)

I agree with Sundy about Kelly though. EOS says he picks the players on form and apat from D'arcy I recognise that he is picking on form of his own Irish team. But I have to admit - Kelly is damn good (if not the best) backup for the/any team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

But I have to admit - Kelly is damn good (if not the best) backup for the/any team.

Have to disagree with you jonno. He's not a bad player at provincial level but just cant do it at international level.

I like him as a player but the way he plays isn't international level.

And he would deffinitely not be back-up to any team. England, Australia, New Zealand, France all have subs that would scorch Kelly!!! IMO

The countries you mention have massive player depth compared to Ireland. Kelly to be fair to him is about as solid as they come. Good back up for the centre and the wings. Has brillant hands, remember the try he set up during the world cup against Australia I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

GreenHall

I agree he is a solid player. but he lacks the edge to be a regular starter for ireland, yeah he set up a good try against the ozzies but the way he is playing at the minute he's not good enough to worry international defences.

He was selected for the world cup squad only because he could play centre if O'Driscoll was injured. I dont think he would have made the squad otherwise (and that was only because Murphy had gotten injured who was supposed to be the back-up to O'Driscoll).

I dunno what to say to ya, I agree he is not first team material but as a back up I have no problems with the guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

thats great news! i'll be great to see him back in action

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

fair enough, yeah i dont really understand why wallace doesnt al least make the bench but then eddie is the manager and if the team are winning its hard to argue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

To an extent I'd say it depends on what you're looking for in your number 7. Wallace is a better ball carrier but Gleeson may win more ball on the ground. Personally I'd prefer to see Wallace playing but he should at least be on the bench

Advertisement