Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

cheap insurance

Options
  • 09-03-2004 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭

Dear All,

Where is the best place to get a competitive quote for a low powered car.
    Third Party Insurance

Personal Details:
    21 years old.
    Have full clean driving licence for last 3 years.
    No penalty points.
    County: Galway

Is a commercial vehicle cheaper to insure than a car?

Much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

You are a prime candidate for doing the Hibernian ignition course, Ring Hibernian, get a quote with and without having passed the Ignition course.

If it is cheaper(which is not always the case) than the other insurance companies, go for it. You have nothing to lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭coolio_64

is a commercial vehicle cheap to insure than a car?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Originally posted by coolio_64
    is a commercial vehicle cheap to insure than a car?

no they are more expensive, lads carrying others in the boot unsecured helped ruin that

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

My friend who is 20yrs old was quoted 1.7K on his mums thingy while I'm paying 3.6 for mine, both 1l, I'm 19, he's 20, he lives in Dublin, I'm in Bray (wicklow) both 3rd party, he's been insured on a motorbike for half a year, this is my first licence ever. His is a ford fiesta car van, mine is a nissan micra.

Does anyone know where you could get a very cheap quote.

My brother wants to get on the road!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

your dreaming

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Have you tried Quinn Direct yet? Im 23, 1st provisional driver with 1 1.3L Mitsubishi Colt and Im quoted with 3,000 with them which is pretty good seeing as its my first time driving. Might be worth trying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Originally posted by trotter_inc
    Im quoted with 3,000 with them

And
    which is pretty good

= :eek: we really are getting used to being shaffted up the rear end by those insuarance companys arent we :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Yeah I know - I was expecting to pay more - but hey... we're lads - what do we expect!!??

ANY MORE PLACES WHERE YOU CAN GET CHEAP QOUTES

tHANKS FOR THE REPLIES

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

hehe try moving to australia, the goverment over there cover you for 3rd party fire and theft when you pay your tax, its something like $500 for a young male driving a 1.4l - 1.6l powered car. cant be specific, a colleague from work was over there for a year and he told me this.

I always thought this was a good idea, and never knew why more goverments didnt offer a service like this!?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Armadillo

hehe try moving to australia, the goverment over there cover you for 3rd party fire and theft when you pay your tax, its something like $500 for a young male driving a 1.4l - 1.6l powered car. cant be specific, a colleague from work was over there for a year and he told me this.

I reckon anywhere outside the Rep of Eire is cheaper for Insurance.
    Brokers are obliged by law to provide you with the best possible quote that they can get but as seen from a Prime Time programme in the past month, you are better of doing the work yourself and spend a couple of hours with the yellow pages. This country is corrupt - no doubt. :dunno:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Originally posted by dodger
    This country is corrupt - no doubt. :dunno:

too true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

300 isnt bad one of my friends got insured on a 1 litre polo or 1.1 whichever, but he actually paid 6070 for the insurance, i think he's a bit mad. he is only 18 though but still.

my other friend is 19 he is driving a pug 106 gti and is paying 6800 with a full licence, but what wo8uld you expect for a fast car. stil high.

its madness paying that sort of insurance!!

anyone got other tips!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

You are a prime candidate for doing the Hibernian ignition course, Ring Hibernian, get a quote with and without having passed the Ignition course.

As far as I can recall you have to have passed your driving test in the last 12 months. You have 3 years driving with a full licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

if you get an address to use in the north could you use that and get insured from the north. but i suppose if you could do that , we'd have it done. okay nobody understood what i said, it sounds ok in me head just looks weird typerd, ah well.

thanks seanybiker

any other avenues?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Mate got insured with Quinn Direct for €2200 on a 00 VW Caddy 1.9 D commercial insurance, it was his first policy and he is 22 with a Provisional licence!!!

thats ounds good very good.

whats his occupation?

• Advertisement

thats ounds good very good.

whats his occupation?

Woodturner, but he tried with carpenter and it was the same

thanks for that irish1,

anyone else got more quotes?

thanks for that irish1,

anyone else got more quotes?

No bother, AXA and some others won't quote you for commericial insurance unless you have a full licence.

Quinn are going to be your best bet I'd say

what are the 6 insurance companies in ireland?

what are the 6 insurance companies in ireland?

Open the goldenpages!!:D

Have you got an quotes yet???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

i reckon quinn direct is the best bet, you'll only get 3rd party, but it'll be cheap. i'm with hibernian ignition thing on a 98 polo, i'm 20 and i pay 3200 comprehensive, so they're not too bad, but ignition discount is only for first year.. found that out the hard way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭kink933766

Holy C*@p - that's not nice at all...

I wasn't aware the the ignition discount was only for the first year - that mean that my insurance in going to go up pretty soon., ,. and I just got myself a 1.5 .,.argh!!!

98 Honda Civic 1.5ILS = 2k 3rd party theft and fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Axa, Eagle Star, AA, Allianz all do car insurance.

Can you not go as a named driver on a relatives insurance?? i.e. Transfer the car ownership to your Mother. She gets the insurance with you as named driver. Only draw back is you won't build up a no-claims bonus for what its worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

trouble with going on parents name as u said is no caims is gone out the window, and if your mam buys a car, ahe cant insure two cars under her name in a private policy, then you're screwed. i say ,take the hit and insure young, it'll pay off in the long run.

• Advertisement

thanks for everything.

so what would be the best car or van to have before my brother rings them up?

cheers

Advertisement