Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking about moving to Meteor

Options
  • 09-03-2004 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

My girlfriend and I are both thinking about moving to Meteor; mainly because of the free texts (this would cut both our phone costs in half!). But I have a few questions first....

I've heard that their coverage isn't the best. How [good/bad] is it? I'm really only interested in the east coast (from Dublin to North Wexford).

We'd be changing from Vodafone, so would I get to keep my vodafone address? I get a lot of emails there.

And, how difficult is it to change? My phone is already SIM free, so is it just a matter of walking into a meteor shop and asking them to change it?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Originally posted by Kid Icarus
    My girlfriend and I are both thinking about moving to Meteor; mainly because of the free texts (this would cut both our phone costs in half!). But I have a few questions first....

You will save a fortune by both moving.
    I've heard that their coverage isn't the best. How [good/bad] is it? I'm really only interested in the east coast (from Dublin to North Wexford).

Have a look at meteor.ie. They have 88% coverage and will have 95% coverage by Christmas (more if they get national roaming). It is fine from Dub to Wexford except for an occasional blackspot.
    And, how difficult is it to change? My phone is already SIM free, so is it just a matter of walking into a meteor shop and asking them to change it? [/B]

If it is SIM Free they you should have no problems at all. Just walk in and port the number. If you go into a meteor store you will get €100 on your sim after you port.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

i'm with meteor since Jan 2002 and the only reason i am still with them is cos my girlfriend is also with them. you will save a fortune cos it is so cheap to ring them 9 cent a minute anytime of day. Having said that i still say they that they need to lower the cost of calls to 087 or 086 numbers. but i mainly ring my girlfriend so it works out for the best.

also their coverage is fine
    it used to be crap but it is grand now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Having said that i still say they that they need to lower the cost of calls to 087 or 086 numbers.

13C off peak on Leisure time to all irsh mobiles beets the hell out of voda o2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭Genghis

Originally posted by Fungus
    If it is SIM Free they you should have no problems at all. Just walk in and port the number. If you go into a meteor store you will get €100 on your sim after you port.

The €100 you mention is given to you only if you top-up by €20 in a single go at least once every month for the first 10 months. If you do this, then you get €10 free the next month. You will also be asked to pay €20 for the SIM, though they will give you (an immediate, afaik) top-up of €20 with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭bazooka

I just signed up, very happy with their customer care, bit of a nightmare getting the number out of 02...

I trialed the service fo about two weeks and found the whole experience much better than o2...not even 1 dropped call!

now all i have to do is get the girlfriend to move over...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

my missus is doing a masters onn the other side of the country, so i had a few phones lying around and we got 085 sims for each other... works out cheap alright and never had any trouble with coverage (between limerick and dublin)

but i do notice that from time to time the network goes a bit odd, as in i have full signal, loads of credit and a message won't send for about a half hour... tis not a problem with the phone either, happens to a few people, had the sim since september 2003 and its happened about four times so i guess its not that bad

Advertisement