Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB Broadband

• 09-03-2004 3:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

In todays Indo there is a report that the ESB broadband will offer a real alternative to the line from Eircom.

WHEN?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

http://www.esb.ie/main/news_events/press_release241.jsp
    From ESB website
    ESB Telecoms is a "carriers carrier" which will make broadband bandwidth available to the wholesale market. The company is providing bandwidth for other telcos and industry in general.

Unless I'm reading this wrong, ESB will be providing backhaul bandwidth to ISPs, who will then supply domestic internet access via current channels i.e. phone lines (almost always by €ircon) or wireless (IBB, LEAP, etc). There will be no access to the ESB fibre network via your ESB power line.

If anyone wants to correct me, I'll be more than happy for them to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭eirmail

The first people to get ESB broadband were a couple of schools in the liberties area of south inner city dublin.I only read about this last week and it is smart telecoms who are actually providing the service to the schools but they are in fact acting as resellers of the ESB product.They supplied the schools with 4.5 Mbits/Second lines which is quite fast.As far as I am aware the normal electricity points in the classrooms were connecting to some sort modem which then connected to a computer- no need for telephone lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Exactly, it was delivered over power lines and into the esb/smart fibre man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

4.5mbits is very good. Are there issues with exchanges or similar networking nodes? This might provide a nice solution for people who are too far from their local exchanges to get ADSL.

Once again, the news is promising. But how long till the average consumer can get their mits on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Exactly, it was delivered over power lines and into the esb/smart fibre man
    Smart are using Aurora's network in Dublin for backhaul not ESBT. From the Aurora network they have connected a point-to-point microwave link to the school in question. Internally in the school the poper cables are used to transmit the data.

I stand open to correction.

• Advertisement
Advertisement