Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda Observation Platforms

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭rcunning03

You mean you don't?

Of course I do, everybody does, what's next ? A campaign telling us to exhale after we inhale, why waste money on the painfully obvious ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 dam0cles

because we have repeatedly proved that we need to be told, more than once, what the painfully obivious is, and why it's bad to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by rcunning03
    Would it not be gards ? That seems to be what they write in the newspapers.
    I'd be greatly pleased if you could find me a few idiot journalists who use the word "gards"

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭spudulike

Some things will never change - we will always pay taxes, we are all going to die.... and you are always going to get opinions like those i've read above. It's typical of people in this country (mabey all countries) to moan and give out about the Guards. But personally I'm sick of it.... In my opinion Guards do a bloody tough job that most people wouldn't last a week at.... I witnessed a horrific rta a few weeks back - padestrian got run over by a truck.... and i tell you the guard that had to deal with that deserves praise and credit not abuse. They are unsung hero's in my book.... and sure they give out speeding tickets but hey - try slowing down and saving lives - Ireland if full to the brim of crazy lunatic, speeding drivers.... in my opinion we should have a dedicated traffic division that solely monitors the roads and gives tickets to people who speed....
    One other thing - a Guard will only sound the siren to get some idiot who doesn't look in his rear view mirrors out of the way. They do not sound them willy nilly, only when necessary to clear the way...

I'd be greatly pleased if you could find me a few idiot journalists who use the word "gards"

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2002/01/13/story312377.asp

State auditor to probe Gards'a €4.2m video deal contract
    Sunday, January 13, 2002

I know it's just a link http://www.freeflow.ie/gards.htm

When I did a search on gards most of the times it appeared was in a forum page of newspapers (possibly people making same mistake as myself), so I concede your right, but a good few people made the same mistake as me.
    Ireland if full to the brim of crazy lunatic, speeding drivers

The average speed in dublin is about 5 mph, the majority of people would only drive fast when it is safe e.g. empty dual carraigeway etc

• Advertisement

The average speed in dublin is about 5 mph, the majority of people would only drive fast when it is safe e.g. empty dual carraigeway etc

This doesn't explain an avergae death rate of well over 1 person per day being killed on Irish roads.... is this careful drivers????? not in my book.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

you are forgetting that most fatalities happen at night over the weekends and often involve alcohol.
    However, when was the last time you saw a drink-dirve checkpoint?
    I haven't seen one since Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Originally posted by kbannon
    you are forgetting that most fatalities happen at night over the weekends and often involve alcohol.
    However, when was the last time you saw a drink-dirve checkpoint?
    I haven't seen one since Christmas.

In 8 years of driving i have never come across a drink-drive checkpoint. In the last 5 years I have only been stopped 2 times.

Statistics show that speed in the cause of the majority of fatal road accidents - regardless of the time of the accident.

In my opinion a we need a traffic department of the Guards to crack down on both speeding and drink driving.... and just plain bad drivers of which we have plenty...

This doesn't explain an avergae death rate of well over 1 person per day being killed on Irish roads.... is this careful drivers????? not in my book.

That's because we have single lane carraigeways between our main cities, when the motorways get built the death rate will drop significantly, also when people have to do more than just pass a theory test to get onto the roads that will also reduce accidents. The government are doing a good job getting the motorways built (slower and smaller than I'd like) and they are planning to increase the training given to people before than can drive. In ten years these are the factors that will reduce death rates more than cracking down on speeding.

In realtion to speeding what I would like to see is 30kmh speed limits outside schools and in residential estates and the speed limit outside schools being enforced by speed cameras (not bumps) and not having cameras on the Stillorgan dual carraigeway with a 40 mph speed limit (you constantly have to take your eyes off the road to watch the speedo). When your on a motorway and it's clear you should be allowed to decide what speed you feel is safe, despite what politicians say we are not going to drive in a way that could endanger our lives.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

....not having cameras on the Stillorgan dual carraigeway with a 40 mph speed limit (you constantly have to take your eyes off the road to watch the speedo)......

I'm always amused by the people who say you constantly have to take your eyes of the road to check your speed and insinuate that in doing so is dangerous. If people think that then they are bad drivers. Glancing down at the speedo shouldn't even take a second, if you sneeze your eyes are off the road for longer.

What do you do all the other times, do you never check your speed when driving unless there's speed cameras around ?

What do you do all the other times, do you never check your speed when driving unless there's speed cameras around ?

I go with the flow of traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

In realtion to speeding what I would like to see is 30kmh speed limits outside schools and in residential estates and the speed limit outside schools being
    Actually it is something that should be studied, there is no harm in having a mix.
    enforced by speed cameras (not bumps) and not having cameras on the Stillorgan dual carraigeway
    You have to remeber that this is a residential road with houses fronting dirsectly onto many parts of it
    When your on a motorway and it's clear you should be allowed to decide what speed you feel is safe
    The rules need to be made for the stupidest 10% of the population. I am not saying whether you are in that 10% or not.
    Originally posted by kbannon
    More acciednts happen by day than night, more during the week, than weekend, when it is dry rather than wet, with sober people than drunk. All you need is for one thing to go wrong for an accident to happen.

You have to remeber that this is a residential road with houses fronting dirsectly onto many parts of it

Personally I would prefer speed cameras on my road as opposed to speed bumps, for a start it does less damage to you car, but other people would probably not want cameras on their road. If I had to choose between speed bumps or speed cameras I would choose cameras.
    The rules need to be made for the stupidest 10% of the population.

So they tell us.

Advertisement