Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

04 cars and metric dash

Options
  • 09-03-2004 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭

Can someone with an '04 car tell me wheter the speedo is in km/h or are they still showing mph as the dominant numbers and km/h as the harder to see numbers and is the tripometer is metric ?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Still all in MPH and will be until the law changes in the Autumn.
    Richie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭rcunning03

Still all in MPH and will be until the law changes in the Autumn.

Will it be law that they have to have metric dash's or can they still have the mph dash's ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I think it'll be a safe assumption that most manufacturers will leave the MPH markings on the dial too for the moment.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Originally posted by rcunning03
    Will it be law that they have to have metric dash's or can they still have the mph dash's ?

As far as we can tell it will be ok to keep your car as MPH as long as it also has KPH on it.
    But after a certain date all new vehicles will have to be fitted with KPH dash gauges.
    It would cost a fortune to start retro fitting KPH dashes to older cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

It's not that expensive to switch over they just put an overlay over the speedo, they dont change the whole thing. It's quite common in the UK for jap imports as the cars there have to have MPH and most jap's dont have it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

I had a brand new 04 Vectra over the weekend.

Yes the speedo is still dominated by the mph gauge, with smaller kph. Interestingly it had 30mph and 70 mph in red as oppoesed to white, presumably to mark them particularly.

Yes the milometer is metric, brought the model I had from 11 to 160 over the few days.

On a side note 2l TDi Vectras while monster big internally have no poke, especially when full:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

There still in MPH but the yaris's dash is digital so you just hit a button and its in KPH
    handy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

man just read ur signature absolutely class. The offaly part especially

Yes the milometer is metric

What's the mileometer called in metric countries ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

odometer.
    Milometer was made up by people who didn't know what the hell the real name was!

• Advertisement

odometer.

I knew that, I just forgot I knew it at this hour of the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by rcunning03
    What's the mileometer called in metric countries ?
    Kilometerometer. Just rolls off the tongue doesn't it?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

My car gets forty rods to the hogshead and thats the way I likes it

My car gets forty rods to the hogshead and thats the way I likes it

Grandpa Simpson, one of the funniest peole ever !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

D you know where i could get the dash overlay,it would be very helpful

Advertisement