Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Accessibility of future Boards Beers

• 09-03-2004 5:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭

In an attempt to continue the discussion started on the boards beer thread, albeit in a more reasonable fashion, I'd like to sound out the opinions of people more educated in these matters than I.

Accessibility has not been a major consideration of mine for previous boards events, due to ignorance of the subject, and blind assumptions I've made based on that ignorance. Please accept my apologies for this.

One of the assumptions was that all pubs had a minimum level of accessibility and that *anywhere* would be suitable for allcomers. This is glaringly obviously not the case, but something that you do not see if you're ignorant of the possibilities.

What I'd like to do is get a list of Dublin pubs (or maybe *all* pubs) that are suitable, and maybe have a rating or comment for each one as to what the good and bad points are. I'd also like to know if there was the possibility of getting pubs to invest in becoming more accessible, and if there is a group involved in such activity.

Any further comments and thoughts on the subject, excepting flames, are welcome and encouraged.

Cheers,
    Al.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

... and if I get no reply then it's pretty obvious you're not really interested in this issue in a practical sense, you just wanted to cause a row on the other board.

No feedback means no changes to how venues are decided upon as we have nothing to work with.

Cheers,
    Al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I'm quite surprised actually that noone involved in the "debate" on the other board has come here to give feedback.

:dunno:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

Sorry I've not replied sooner, im ill right now an not feeling hugely able to be online.
    As I said in my PM Amz, Im having a biopsy done on a lump in my throat this week and my epilepsy has been playing up, so answering this thread properly may take me time.

Basically, to me its simple.
    Access = no stairs, a wheelchair toilet & central location.
    pubs I know of that fit the bill,....

O'reillys on tara street,
    The Globe,

an im gonna find more, just need a few days to collate the info.

B

Cheers for the update DT. I hope you're doing better now. I look forward to any further info you can provide.

Ok, so I investigated a little by going into a new pub on O'Connell St. last night - it used to be AIB, now it's "The Grand Central" or something. They have a really cool section downstairs that I'd be interested in having a boards beer in at some point, so I decided to ask the management what their story was on accessibility.

The conversation confirmed to me that one of my previous assumptions was not completely off the mark - there is a requirement in place for new pubs to provide certain facilities:

- Ramp access to the building
    - Wheelchair accessible bathroom
    - Lift to other floors

These requirements have been on the books since about mid-91 according to the guy I spoke to.

Back to what facilities they apparently had available (note: this is what I thought the guy said, I may have misinterpretted it).

- Ramp access at the side (steps at front door)
    - Wheelchair accessible bathroom on the ground floor
    - Service lift which is not accessible to the public at all

As I was interested in the downstairs (you can't book the ground floor), he pointed out that that bathroom was hard to get to, and that there was no lift available for us to use, but that they had no problem getting a couple of their security to carry a wheelchair (and occupant) downstairs.

So there's an example of a real situation. Please feedback your thoughts and comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

For insurance purposes, and risk of injury, carrying a wheelchair shouldnt be suggested by any pub.

The legislation he is talking about, is to be honest, barely ever implemented, and usually when it is, its only partially (like in this case where the lift has really been neglected).

But basically, being carried is never an option, aside from the safety issues, with this electric wheelchair the weight involved is way too much for any amount of barmen lol ;)

B

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭mechanima

TOTAL APOLOGIES Trojan...I didn't even see the thread, in spite of, apparently, "hanging around". Which must look SO ignorant...but I have an excuse.

I have been subject to something like a DOS attack the past couple of days that let me have 10 minutes then reboot, having to "lightening strike" as fast as I can for most things.
    One of the assumptions was that all pubs had a minimum level of accessibility and that *anywhere* would be suitable for allcomers. This is glaringly obviously not the case, but something that you do not see if you're ignorant of the possibilities.

You said a mouthful there...I honestly don't think of DT as disabled, and it always comes as a shock to realise the simple little things he cannot do...last realisation was that he must ALWAYS use the lifts in the Square in Tallaght...a simple thing...but SO inconvenient.

I guess because of MY disability I haven't set foot in a pub in years (to make BB accessible to ME, you'd have to have it in my house and everybody STAY AWAY!!! :D)and can't be much help. Apart from I do not think I'd get it right in terms of figuring out accessibility!

I'm sure they MEAN as well as possible...
    he pointed out that that bathroom was hard to get to, and that there was no lift available for us to use, but that they had no problem getting a couple of their security to carry a wheelchair (and occupant) downstairs.

...but I think that might amount to fast breeding wheelchair users! As well as terrifying for the poor soul being "borne aloft"...

DT's chair alone probably weighs as much as a motorcycle!

Maybe it best for DT to explain EXACTLY what kind of criteria...for instance it doesn't matter how many lifts and disabled loos you have if the whole place is laid out in a way that means you can't move around it...

G

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

out of dog curiousity is this what happens?

RPC_Exploit.jpg

As for pubs with descent accesability in dublin i dont have a clue but i think my girlfriends uncle would he does alot of campaigning for disabled rights and lives in dublin.

Guys I'd like to know how many wheelchair users we have actively posting on boards, and of those, how many are interested in turning up to boards beers. Does this question require a new thread?

Asok: it would be pretty cool to find out some more about that. tty over a pint sometime I'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by Asok
    out of dog curiousity is this what happens?

RPC_Exploit.jpg

As for pubs with descent accesability in dublin i dont have a clue but i think my girlfriends uncle would he does alot of campaigning for disabled rights and lives in dublin.

So my parents computer wasn't the last in western civilisation to scan and protect for blaster!!!

The main issue I think will be finding somewhere that has WC access to an area that we can book out. I've seen a few pubs in Dublin lately, and like Trojan experienced, even those that do have WC friendly sections, invariably don't have that access extending to the reserved sections.

In fairness O'Reillys probably won't let you have anywhere bar upstairs on a Friday/Sat night as its very busy. Ditto The Globe, its fairly open plan so I can't see where they would reserve for 100 Boardsters.

MacTurcails is quite good if memory serves, but I don't know if it has a Disabled Toilet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Ok, for my part, here is a list of pubs that the Dublin Tourist Bord rates as Wheelchair Friendly. What that implies I don't know but I assume it means they meet the criteria Trojan mentioned.

Which of these will give you a WC accessable reserved area is a different matter.
    I doubt Cafe En Seine, Bobs, The Longstone, Sosume O'Neills or Zanzibar will give us anything on the ground floor as I believe they only reserve the upstiars area (although I *think* Zanzibar has a lift).

Cocoon doesn't have a reserved section that I've ever seen (although I'm usually plastered by the time I get there) and they can be very choosy about who they let in
    (Eddie Irvine owns it so usually that means scantly dressed teens)

Anyway, here is the list:
    All Sports Bar
    Bobs
    Break for the Border
    The Bridge Bar
    Browns Barn
    Café En Seine
    Cocoon
    The Cuckoo's Nest
    Dohenys & Nesbitt
    Fitzsimons
    The Forum Bar
    The George
    The Isaac Butt
    The Long Stone
    McDaids
    O Dwyers
    Oliver Goldsmiths Bar
    O Neills, Suffolk Street
    O Sullivans Bar
    The Porterhouse
    The Queens
    Savannah
    Sosume
    The Temple Bar
    Zanzibar

• Advertisement

Hmmm... there's a couple there that make me think "Yeah, right!", and not in a positive way.

Zanzibar is a possibility I guess, but tis usually upstairs they reserve...

Ok, I'll go have a look see...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Actually the forum bar has a really good atmoshpere, open space, all downstairs, don't know aobut toilet though since the public ones are down stairs. Zanzibar is a mental suggestion.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by Trojan
    Hmmm... there's a couple there that make me think "Yeah, right!", and not in a positive way.

Yea, a few - just thinking the same thing.

Out of curiousity any number on the amount of people with a disability wanting to go to a Board's Beer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Well I'm going... if I'm not in Port.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Originally posted by syke

Anyway, here is the list:
    All Sports Bar <--- Its closed down now and the pub part was down in the basement

Bobs
    Break for the Border <-- I guess it does, but not enough room in the seating areas
    The Bridge Bar
    Browns Barn
    Café En Seine
    Cocoon
    The Cuckoo's Nest
    Dohenys & Nesbitt
    Fitzsimons
    The Forum Bar <--- toilets are down stiars, never seen a wheel chair one
    The George <--- you have a hard time getting some of the guys to go to it :D
    The Isaac Butt
    The Long Stone <--- ROFL!!!!! not a chance in any sort of way.... unless you dont mind being by the main door with no toilet access

McDaids
    O Dwyers
    Oliver Goldsmiths Bar
    O Neills, Suffolk Street
    O Sullivans Bar
    The Porterhouse <-- I'd have to say ROFL again
    The Queens
    Savannah
    Sosume
    The Temple Bar
    Zanzibar

Just some of the ones I know of... or at least remember being in :)

Advertisement