Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cd Writers

• 09-03-2004 5:20pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Do any of the computers in the college have working cd writers. i know the new computers in A310 have them, but i'm not sure if they are working. also, is the upgraded mulimedia lab off limits to non multimedia students.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭UnrealQueen

No it's not, anyone can go in there. There isn't alwayz a lecturer in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Kain

There are cd writers here but i'm not telling you. lol

So that means they're in A307 as well:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Kain

um........ye

But i don't think there working just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

the drives are installed and there's cd burning software installed. haven't tried em though, and they're not showing up in windows explorer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

The media lab on the first floor(not the ground floor) of the library has always had working cd writers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Redrocket

Yes the media lab used to be the place to go to burn cds, although the machines were ( past tense ) quite ****, who the hell put win98 on those mahcines anyways?!? Thats all over now, they've got shiny black dell p4s in there now, the only problem is that only design students can log onto the machines. Thats fair enough.
    However, all those shiny Dells in other labs seem to have their cd-r drives disabled on the machine, Even though they've got cd-writing software specifically installed on the machines?!?!!?!?!?!

I cant see why those writers dont work, I found them pretty usefull last year for getting linux distros, take advantage of the heanet software mirrors and the cd-writers to burn them.
    Im sure there'll be something found pretty soon on how to get them writers working..... I hope.....
    If not its back to good old reliable pen drive for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Shamo

I don't think the new computers have write protected C drives. Last time i checked they didn't anyway.
    Would it not be possible to update the drivers or something to get the drives working?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

I checked the ones in A307 last monday. I couldnt write to the C: drives at all.

One week temp ban for unprovoked personal attack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

I'm in design and as far as I know the new dells in the media labs are open to everyone, but there is a series of rules posted on the door one of which is about burning "production line" cds, so in effect the re-writer is for handing up project etc.

yeah, thats always the way they were supposed to be used, but then again, who would of thought that lorries would have been brought out onto the race track??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by stevenk
    yeah, thats always the way they were supposed to be used, but then again, who would of thought that lorries would have been brought out onto the race track??

I thought you were banned! o_0!

Very good point eth0.

Originally posted by eth0_
    I thought you were banned! o_0!

If you pay careful attention you'll notice that that post was made after I edited his first post and hence banned him.

Havent you got your own board that you should be moderating or something? :dunno:

P.s. dont drag this off topic, please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

so from reading this i get the impression that the CD-RW drives can only be used for legitimate burning purposes? THE BASTARDS!!!

in all honestly, if the CDRW drives were workin properly, the idirlín bandwidth would be sexually abused by ppl bringin in CD-R's wanting 2 burn shtuff (which i couldnt give a rats ass about becoz im not responsible for wat the college network is used for) its the ppl that moderate the idirlíns usage that have to disable them because their asses can be kicked by THE MAN if he sees fit that the usage is un-legal!

my advice is 2 imagine they didnt exist in the first place and see how much better life would be like if u had a P4 2.xGhz pc with no CDRW drive as opposed to an AMD athlon 700Mhz pc with no CDRW drive!

I'd prefer the latter.

in conclusion......................shut ur bitchin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

Originally posted by Ivan
    I checked the ones in A307 last monday. I couldnt write to the C: drives at all.

so you are telling me, after you logged in, wrote to the c:\pagefile.sys, updates your home directory c:\documents and settings\<login id> you cant write to the c drive?

do i need to point anything out? oh, and you definitly DONT have access to my documents. definitly not.

anyway they image used in the LRC could use a LOT of tweaking(one virus scanner, remove the startup programs, tweak the pagefile, set the machines to cache 10-20 users from the domain).

Originally posted by Ruaidhri
    so you are telling me, after you logged in, wrote to the c:\pagefile.sys, updates your home directory c:\documents and settings\<login id> you cant write to the c drive?

do i need to point anything out? oh, and you definitly DONT have access to my documents. definitly not.

anyway they image used in the LRC could use a LOT of tweaking(one virus scanner, remove the startup programs, tweak the pagefile, set the machines to cache 10-20 users from the domain).

I couldnt write to the C: root.

Can you?

Or is there some other point your making?

were you expecting to be able to get access to the root filesystem when you are only a user on the box?
    you *did* write to the root btw. in the pagefile.sys.

you said c: meaning you could not write to your home drive. next time use c:\ (and here's me thinking you studied computers.my mistake)

Originally posted by Ruaidhri
    were you expecting to be able to get access to the root filesystem when you are only a user on the box?
    you *did* write to the root btw. in the pagefile.sys.

you said c: meaning you could not write to your home drive. next time use c:\ (and here's me thinking you studied computers.my mistake)

I understood that the pagefile was on the D:\
    Also, I study programming, not computers.
    Originally posted by Shamo
    I don't think the new computers have write protected C drives. Last time i checked they didn't anyway.
    Would it not be possible to update the drivers or something to get the drives working?

Please Ruaidhri, can you pay attention to the conversation and stop flaming/trolling.

Thanks very much.

• Advertisement

With a statement so damn STUPID and wrong I don’t think I’m trolling or flaming anyone. Do you honestly think anyone would install Windows 2000 on a FAT32 partition in a college? I mean seriously the techies are not THAT stupid! Personally I think you know you are wrong, but you just can’t admit it. As proved by earlier actions.
    You study computers via programming. Not you just study programming. I study networks. To do either we need to understand what we are working with(computers)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

jesus christ you're an arrogant bastard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,309 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Originally posted by stevenk
    who the hell put win98 on those mahcines anyways?!?
    I think it was to do with licensing / costly software was only supported by Win98.

What you do is (this works like a charm);
    • Pop ur head into room, look around, as if looking for someone, and notice wot proggie they're using. Make sure that it doesn't exist on the "other/public PC's" (so that the teachers can't say to "do it outside".
    • Next day, go into the room. Sit on chair. Ignore teacher. Use the proggie, and open up someone else's file / sample file. Save it as another file, and start messing with it. Learn how to use some of the basic features in that program.
    • Then do alt-tab, and do wot you want to do. If you see the teacher coming over, alt-tab to the proggie, and do "stuff". Teacher will assume your a 3rd year doing vastly important project work, and leave you.
    • Ensure the teacher doesn't know your not doing this course (as in, make sure you don't have them this year).
    This worked for me whilst I was in Carlow for my three 1st years.

Also, if they're using Win98, its usually c: accesible. They may have changed tho, since looking at these boards.

Advertisement