Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New laptop can't find internet though wlan

Options
  • 09-03-2004 5:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I've had one pc and a Belkin wireless DSL gateway router working fine together for several months.

Now I've got a brand new Toshiba Portege notebook with 802.11b and running XP.

After some hassle the notebook is now connecting to the wlan OK but still it can not "see" the internet.

What am I missing?
    My broadband providor - Leap - uses static IP - is this relevant?
    My old machine is running Windows ME - could that be screwing things up?
    When I phoned Blekin helpline they suggested I need to update my drivers on the Toshiba but its totally new so that can't be right can it?

Any advice would be much welcomed...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

what does a ipconfig show?? are u getting a valid IP address??
    Any firewall / anti virus blocking your connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

That laptop could have been configured several months ago ... do get the latest drivers and install them ... does the 11b in tfiguration utility in the laptop have a configuration utility? if it does then use that and turn off the Windows XP zero wireless configuration utility (the built in one) because they will conflict .... go into the belkin routers configuration and enable a SSID, and set a low level of WEP - 64bit (also called 40bit) and set the router to infrastructure mode (its probably in this by default) ... and put the same ssid and WEP on the laptop ... you should be working now ... if not make sure that the router is giving out IP addresses - i.e. turn on DHCP (might be called NAT)

When its all going increase the level of WEP and turn on any other security features that the router / access point has (and do the same on the laptop of course)

Advertisement