Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anti virus software ?

• 09-03-2004 6:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

anyone recommendations on free anti virus software for an always on broadband user ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

If you can live with one thats as ugly as sin...

www.free-av.com

Its the one I use myself, and its saved me a few times... They update the definitions every two or so days, as well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭BlaaBoy

cheerz for that . i'll give it a bash . time 2 get rid of those unwanted germs !!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Avast seems good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

AVG

http://www.grisoft.com

I've used it on a few machines and its proven a good solution.

Free updates as well.

About the best I've used to date (when I have to use windows)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

I use http://www.free-av.com/ as mentioned before... No code needed for it, the other one mentioned here is just as good but you have to get a code. Free as well but a bit more hassle ;) I'm all for hassle free existence.

Personally I find they both beat the socks off of commercial antivirus in terms of speed, size, ease of use...

X

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 fergal1

i'll 2nd avast..!!!

superb a-v

regards,
    fergal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally posted by machalla
    AVG

http://www.grisoft.com

I endorse this product / service :)

Only problem I have found is that over the past couple of weeks its been quite hard to update it. Getting time outs and errors saying im not connected to the internet. Weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Using AVG here too. Best AV software I've ever used
    Only problem I have found is that over the past couple of weeks its been quite hard to update it. Getting time outs and errors saying im not connected to the internet. Weird.
    Mine been automatically updating every night. Hasn't had any problems .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Yea its weird. Mine just sits there for ages then says it couldnt find a connection to the internet. Or it will download the control file but download it very slowly, usually at 0.00000001 kb/s then cut out.

Very annoying. Updated this pc tonight though, one advantage. Although the other one didnt update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

I've been having similar problem sof late updating AVG. Must try downloading a new version and see if the problems persist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

AVG :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

AVG all the way.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

Sod the freebies... when it comes to a BB usage, don't take any chances.

Go get yourself a decent firewall and av product which auto-updates to keep you safe from the nasties. It's worth it and it only costs a few bucks per annum for the online services from these people.

If you intend using a BB connection in anger, be prepared for the volumes of ****e, spam, viruses, trogans, malware and marketing spyware which will try to invade your system. Get professional tools to block em.

I'd also recommend either AD-AWARE or SPYHUNTER to chase down the spyware on your system and eliminate it.

c0y0te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭BlaaBoy

ok im using this one www.free-av.com .
    only thing is that when it scans and finds something it asks you if you want to delete the file and not repair it . would i be deleting files that i need/want ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

im using norton antivirus 2004 pro... how does AVG compare with this?
    Should i change to using AVG?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,435 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i'd also recommend spybot search and destroy for trashing all that spyware its free as well

http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭ando

i use nortan antivirus corporate edition blink.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭sprogman

Using Ad-aware for spyware- free as well

http://lavasoft.element5.com/software/adaware/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Originally posted by c0y0te
    Sod the freebies... when it comes to a BB usage, don't take any chances.

Go get yourself a decent firewall and av product which auto-updates to keep you safe from the nasties. It's worth it and it only costs a few bucks per annum for the online services from these people.
    Microsoft charge a lot for Windows. That does not mean it's better and more secure than all the free OSes out there? I've used both McAfee and Norton in the past. Even if they were free, there is no way that I'd give up AVG for either of them. Many firewall vendors offer free and 'pro' or 'plus' versions. Usually the only difference is the lack of extras, which are mostly useless anyway. The actual firewall works in exactly the same way.

Price is not an indication of quality

Advertisement