Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom to start charging for breaking caps

• 09-03-2004 6:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

i just got my phone bill today and there was a little note in the corner saying eircom will soon be implementing a billing system that will allow them to charge people who break the download allowance
    don't worry just yet they said they will contact each customer before it comes into place

lets hope eircom are as incompetent with implementing this as they have been with other things :P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭sprogman

What traffic will they use to determine what breaks the CAP - http, FTP file sharing (all two thousand protocols been used at the moment :) ) ?
    Good luck to them..... :cool:

All traffic.
    They won't do it on a protocol level they'll more likely just measure the raw bytes that are sent to and from your connection.

God I pity online gamers....

Kind of defeats the purpose of broadband... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Online gaming uses remarkably little bandwidth. Did about 60+ hours last month not even up to 5 gig usage and besides I had downloaded a loada stuff too...

X

Just wondering - what tool did you use to measure your bandwidth ?

Only 60 hours ??? :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

i did about 40+ hours last month, downloaded about 6 game demos from jolt. downloaded albums and a movie along with other bits and piceces and all my surfing came to 4.9gb out of my 8gb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

No tool. IOL usage calculator started working after I complained...

Oh and I forgot to mention two computers on my network regularly play online games so it's 60 + whatever my brother did which was probably the same...

If all you use the net for is online gaming even 4 gigs a month is sufficient... (unless you play 24 hours/7 days a week, dont eat, sleep, crap etc...)

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by sprogman
    God I pity online gamers....

Kind of defeats the purpose of broadband... :rolleyes:

Most games only use up about 5KBps. After a game of COD, if I look at my Dumeter record, its hardly registers the bandwidth used biggrin.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Originally posted by ando
    Most games only use up about 5KBps. After a game of COD, if I look at my Dumeter record, its hardly registers the bandwidth used biggrin.gif

Maybe, but Counter-strike can be pretty heavy if there are 16+ other people on the server (especially if they are using microphones), CS averages out at 25-40KBps for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

How can you tell how much bandwidth a certain game uses?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

daveyjoe wrote:
    Maybe, but Counter-strike can be pretty heavy if there are 16+ other people on the server (especially if they are using microphones), CS averages out at 25-40KBps for me.
    Yeah, but thats only 3-5 Kilobytes a second, which is quite little. You got your kilobits and kilobytes mixed up there :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

grasshopa wrote:
    How can you tell how much bandwidth a certain game uses?
    Well one way would be to get a little programme that will measure how much you send and recieve, I'm using Linux and I use Gkrellm,. It will measure and record my usage. The game for about a hour or so and see how much it's gone up by, then divind that by the amount of time you gamed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

daveyjoe wrote:
    Maybe, but Counter-strike can be pretty heavy if there are 16+ other people on the server

Try Battlefield on a 64man server. Or, Battlefield 2 on 100 man servers next year :D .... Bandwidth fun.

[edit]You could try DU Meter or some such to monitor your bandwidth. Google and you shall find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

15th of september and I am already at 2.58 gigs up and 758MB down , and thats just mail , forums , TS and games playing . Have already started to limit my use of TS , which I used to normally leave on for most of the night while I was on .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

I (honestly) hate to say I told you so, but, well..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Moriarty wrote:
    dam you beat me to it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭kencleary

Sorry n00b question here but how do I check my total amount dowloaded/uploaded per month on Eircom broadband. I'm mightily tempted by Ghost in the Shell 2 but at over 1GB in size............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

http://dsl-support.eircom.net

See the user and pass box on the right hand side.

Moriarty wrote:

Silly old me , had my Du meter set up wrong .

as of today I have only used up 35% of my cap ....so happy days !

grasshopa wrote:
    http://dsl-support.eircom.net

See the user and pass box on the right hand side.

or

http://dslstats.eircom.net/

is the one I use now .

• Advertisement
Advertisement