Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deus ex 2 Black screen

Options
  • 09-03-2004 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

well got this today on a whim and im sorry I did, ive installed the game, runs perfectly up until after youve picked the profile and tell it to start the game, once this is done im sitting there looking at a blank screen for about a minute then my whole machine just freezes and ive manually had to restart it

it seems that quite a few people have had this problem according to the ion storm forums, but i was just wondering did anyone here get it, got the problem and fixed it, cause its driving me nuttz

Shin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

You using a firewall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

Sorry to hear that.
    I think i'm gonna avoid this game.
    I loved the first game.
    It was a bitch to get running smoothly but when i did, it was great.
    So when i downloaded the demo i was expecting it to be great.
    I had a new rig XP2500, 1Gb ram and 9800 pro and the demo ran even worse than i remembered the original running.
    It's a such a disappointment really.
    It could have been a great game.

Hope you get it working, but i think i'll steer clear.

Killian

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Originally posted by amp
    You using a firewall?

Im using kerio personal firewall, do you think that could be the prob

Shin

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

have you tried installing the patch. it fix's some problems and makes it less like a console game.

i was really dissapointed with this game. the first one was excellent, but this was so dumbed down for the x-box.

As per amps suggestion i disabled the firewall and Voila she worked, spent 2 hours on the flippin thing trying to work out what went wrong sigh

Anyhoo thx to amp tis working now NPS, having never played the first Deus EX i cant comment on it, but im enjoying this whether tis dumbed down or not.

FYI the uk versions of invisible war comes with the 1.2 patch anyways

Shin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Stupid program access control on firewalls, same in ZoneAlarm, games would appear to freeze, but its just a pop up dialog in the background asking if the game should be allowed to run as a server or something.

i was wondering why everytime i got the black screen when id move the Deus ex cursor to the middle of the screen id get just the normal white cursor, I know firewalls are a necessity these days but they can be a damn nuisance sometimes

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Feck, no wonder UT2k4 crashes for me when I try and play online.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I was a massive fan of the original and I bought the sequel last friday. More because I was hungover so a night in playing a decent game was on the menu. Obviously it's not as good as the original by a long way but it's not that bad.
    The HUD is far and away the worst part of it. Even after the latest patch it's still a bit intrusive. One tip is to turn the opacity of the HUD down very low.
    The other thing that annoys me is that stealth seems much more difficult. The NPCs have obviously trained with dropping pins.
    Overall it's fun to play and the story is reasonably engaging. I'm pinning most of my hopes on Far Cry for a truly excellent FPS experience though.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

Why does it need to access the internet if you're playing single player?

• Advertisement

No it doesnt need to access the internet for single player, its just sometimes the program access controls come up twice to ask you do you want to allow this program to start, this is what was giving me the black screen to begin with

Shin

Advertisement