Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant partition my hard drive

Options
  • 09-03-2004 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭

I have installed XP and I didnt partition my drive then. I tried to partition it using Partition Magic 8.0. I'm using 2 x 160 GB hard drive under RAID0.
    I partitioned the hard drive and click apply and then it will reboot my pc but then it comes back to windows and there is no partition on my hdd. Here is how I did it:
    Open PM 8.0, click create partition, enter the amount of space for the partition and then click finish. Then I click apply. Am I doing it wrongly? Is there any other good software I can use to partition my hdd?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭sprogman

I have installed XP and I didnt partition my drive then
    Yes you have. :)

Can you reinstall XP again ? If you can don't chose to use the entire disk for your Primary Partition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Is that what I did? I was having so much trouble installing XP that I must have not realised it. So only way is to install XP again?

Is there any other software that would allow me to partition my hdd without re-installing XP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭axel90

This may sound stupid but try defraging the drive first. Also try to keep the partitions in the same file format. ie. fat32 etc..

Well I didnt try defraging it coz its a brand new drive but will try. As for the same format, it was on the same format. Still no joy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 DannyMac

Have you tried opening up Computer Management, and formatting the drive within XP...In both Windows 2000 and XP, the drive doesn't show up in my computer unless you format it using computer management.

In computer mangement, under Disk Management, you should see the partition you created, and all you have to do is to right - click and format that puppy....then you will be able to see the drive in my computer

Originally posted by DannyMac
    Have you tried opening up Computer Management, and formatting the drive within XP...In both Windows 2000 and XP, the drive doesn't show up in my computer unless you format it using computer management.

In computer mangement, under Disk Management, you should see the partition you created, and all you have to do is to right - click and format that puppy....then you will be able to see the drive in my computer

Logically if that was the case, wouldnt my drive show the partitioned space on it and not the whole drive space?
    Where can I find this Computer Management?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 DannyMac

Hmm...not sure bout that...since you're using Partition Magic,

As for Computer Management, right - click on My Computer, and select "Manage"

Worth trying anyway....let me know how you got on

Did that. Under Disk Management, it only shows my full drive. No other partition there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

did you try making un-partitioned space using partition magic and then using xp's disk management to make the partition,

i have xp home i managed to do it, however my drives arent set up with raid 0 so maybe thats your problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Under Raid 0 you will prolly need to set the disks up as dynamic (WIndows 2000 XP Pro 2003)

In your RAID controller software you will need to create a new RAID set to use the disks. Can you see the disks?

Thanks for all of your suggestions but I finally got it to partition.

Originally I tried to create a partition on my C drive which didnt work. Then I tried resizing my C drive and that works like a charm :)

Advertisement