Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

United v Porto(scores)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Michelangelo

Henry_14 is as bad as jank etc

If you have nothing good to say then STFU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

any Utd fans see any positives from the game. I though Brown had his best game since his return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

Originally posted by irish1
    I didn't mean just offside decisions I meant reffing in general, Utd have got the rub of the green a lot more times than their opposition have, if you follow them at all you'd see that!

Maybe, maybe not thats debatable but if you weren't on about offside decisions then let me put it to you this way, there's a hell of a big difference in the odd free kick not going your way or a corner not being given compared to a goal being disallowed that would've kept you in a lucrative, money spinning competition. Not that Utd need the money but its the principle and just for the record I'd be saying the same had this happened to any club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Strange game, I thought Utd had it because Porto had no urgency, even with about 3 mins left! It almost looked as if they intended to score in the last minute.

Was very scrappy and a poor game. On the night, I think Porto were worth a draw.

Tough luck, but as tonight showed, sometimes things are won or lost at the death. Nobody has won anything domestically (except 'Boro)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Did not see the game. had a bet on. Got a bit excited. For which i appologise.

Emboss if you have nothing good to say.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by James R
    Maybe, maybe not thats debatable but if you weren't on about offside decisions then let me put it to you this way, there's a hell of a big difference in the odd free kick not going your way or a corner not being given compared to a goal being disallowed that would've kept you in a lucrative, money spinning competition. Not that Utd need the money but its the principle and just for the record I'd be saying the same had this happened to any club.

Oh I agree its a disgrace that a linesman decision cost United a trip to the last 8 but thats football.

You have to wonder if that Cork boy had kept his nerve and not got suspended for tonight would UTD have won!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Here listen, no player has scored a peno against utd at old trafford in ten years, and the only one to miss one is muzzy izzet after he scored it already but was made re take it, do you honestly think that there is no chance that the refs have something to do with that? Take off your blinkers, yes it was a crap decision, but yes it is football, even fergie had the decency to have a quick moan but acknowledge that its just football and stiff like this happens, cos he knows they just werent good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Sorry I meant in the premiership!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Originally posted by The Muppet
    any Utd fans see any positives from the game. I though Brown had his best game since his return.

lol i noticed that too

best game he's played

but he should still be sacked in my books

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

"Oh I agree its a disgrace that a linesman decision cost United a trip to the last 8 but thats football."

It shouldn't have to be though!
    If there was no video ref Ireland probably would have lost to England at the weekend!
    They should seriously sort it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Brown was good, but Neville was what held it together.

Just looking back I dont know if you can say that Man United's defense was good tonight, just that Porto's attacks weren't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well I can't believe it but I am agreeing with United fans !!! They were robbed. Sure Porto were great at knocking the ball from one touchline to the other but they never really threatened at all in the final third of the pitch and that free kick was dodgy (the guy did a sub standard "Jurgan Klinsmann" for it). Plus the disallowed goal was one of the worst ones I have seen this season, that linesman should never be allowed to be involved with a Sunday league game let alone the Champions League again.

OK now keeping my fingers & toes crossed for Arsenal tomorrow night. Tough luck Utd fans !!

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by irish1
    Oh I agree its a disgrace that a linesman decision cost United a trip to the last 8 but thats football.

I agree with you here for the most part. As for the "but that's football" bit, that's hardly a good enough excuse for the poor decisions by the officials.

I'm not a United supporter.

You have to wonder if that Cork boy had kept his nerve and not got suspended for tonight would UTD have won!!

Yes, and you have to wonder how well we would have done in the World Cup if... ... oh nevermind...

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

made my night....great to see a last minute goal AGAINST them for once

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

Ahhh Porto - Portugal's such a beautiful diverse country too... well done those men!

This constant harping about the offside - stop wasting your collective breath - you've benefited from enough dodgy decisions in your time, plus every team in the world will have some hard luck story about offside blah blah *crys into soup*... simple fact is that tonight you were average and got knocked out by another average side...

United have been very poor second half of this season, the Imperial Lord Fergs decisions are not looking too cool (ie not buying a defender which I highlighted last season as something you needed and all the planks on these boards were like 'sure we have Keane, Phil and Gary Neville blah blah overconfident sh*te and blind fantatiscism) and Arsenal will BUTCHER you in the semi's of the FA Cup...

Welcome to the real world fools. I hope you choke on your humble pie.

And for all you people who say 'if you cant say something positive...' what the hell are you doing on a discussion forum if you only want to hear from like-minded people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

IMO Utd. weren't at all good enough over the two legs which is what counts. Left themselves too much to do tonight...
    If I was a Utd. fan I'd start gettin worried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

omg I couldn't believe how poor both teams were.....Porto were an absolute joke and United weren't much better.

Obviously that decision was completely wrong and I'm not gonna rub it in coz I've been there with Arsenal so many teams but honestly lads, if United were gonna have any chance of winning the CL this season they should have taken apart that Porto team. They just didn't turn up for the away leg at all, were clueless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

But Wes Brown had a pretty good game...! :D

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Aliminator

great result.
    but if scholes' goal had been allowed, it would have gone to extra time. and i think porto would have won it on the drive from costinha's goal.
    Mourinho should be voted manager of hte round. for dishing the perfect retort to AF's bitching.:D

bring it on in Villa Park. i'm going to enjoy watching that mauling.

Juve, Utd gone. who's left to stand in the Gunner's way (apart from Celta).
    Real/Bayern, AC Milan. that's it.
    i'd love to get chelsea and knock them out again. treble in it's self. heh heh

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Jivin Turkey
    Here listen, no player has scored a peno against utd at old trafford in ten years, and the only one to miss one is muzzy izzet after he scored it already but was made re take it, do you honestly think that there is no chance that the refs have something to do with that?

Ok I'll admit that it was a very long time but having watched Utd a lot in those years I can't say that theres been too many clear cut penalties given away. At the end of the day Utd are generally not a dirty side and are normally at the top or there or there abouts of the fairplay league table. Granted they get the usually stroppy sending offs like Neville and Keane but they're not a dirty side. They don't conceded too many free kicks in any game apart from the odd silly ones and theres even less in the box so I think too much has been made of this.

And Killah B I think the point people were making was not that they're not willing to listen to anyone but likeminded people but that theres no point coming in here saying something like HAHA ! and thats it. What does that contribute? If they had said Porto deserved it or Utd weren't good enough fair enough thats something that can be debated but something like HAHA is just foolish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

alright now where will i start

well full congrtas to Porto, over the two legs they were the better side and fully deserve to go through
    it was a terrible mistake by the linesman but you just cant single out that moment in 180+ minutes of football, sometimes they go for you sometimes they dont and utd have had their fair share of luck in the last few years (1999 final comes to the fore here), however let me say it again it was a terrible mistake

it is kinda funny though when the draw was announced that utd fans here thought they would walk it, not anymore mates, since 1999 utd have gone further and further behind in europe.
    Can you see them winning it next year?
    A rebuilding proccess will take 3 years plus and i dont think fergie will be there that long more

Im not going to go on my rant saying players are good enough for utd, ill let the performance tonight be proof enough.

In the summer i think there will be big moves
    beckham is a deffinate loss now matter what anybody says

as regards abu's coming on here well i think Killah_B put it perfectly, this is a public discussion forum, like it or not

well ive said my piece and ill leave it at that, unless someones challenges my specific point of view

{edit}looks like there will be two english teams (touch wood in the 1/4's), it will feel weird that utd wont be one of them :ninja:

Just on a sidenote I disagree with people saying it was lucky in 99 v Bayern. Doesn't matter when the goals were scored imo just as long as they're scored. Most people here will have no grievance with Porto scoring in the 90th min but are just upset that Scholes' goal was disallowed. Ah well doesn't matter now, well done Porto.

I agree I'm not to fond of the 'haha' either, but it's part of the fun of being a football supporter to revel in the loss of another team...

And Jank is right - it was a terrible decsion, but United should have wrapped it up so that the decison became meaningless - losing over the two legs was all they deserved...

Sad to say, United will take their dissapointment out on City this weekend I fear...

Porto should be kicked out of the competition..........its Kieron Dyer in disguise!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

United simply weren't good enough over 2 legs its as simple as that. What i didnt like at the end was Mourihno walking towards the tunnel giving the 2 fingers with both hands to the fans and continued all the way up the tunnel. Cant believe no one has commented on that yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Most people here will have no grievance with Porto scoring in the 90th min but are just upset that Scholes' goal was disallowed. Ah well doesn't matter now, well done Porto.

I had 15 -1 on it being 2-1 to the manks after 90 minutes on the night and that it woulda gone to extra time .

Damn linesman :(

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Well, I'm not going to gloat - being a Liverpool fan, I've not much to gloat about, but I can't say I'm sorry. You can blame the ref, linesman or whoever, but the way I see things - if Roy Keane had been playing tonight Man Yoo would have won.

The lacked confidence, cohesion and compusure in midfield, but about all they lacked a leader out there and Keane would have given them all those things. He also would have been a calming influnce - especially on the younger players, who all to often paniced. If Keane hadn't stamped petulantly on Baia last week and got himself sent off, I believe United would be in the quarter-finals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Porto should be kicked out of the competition..........

They used the same tricks against Celtic..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

You know, I almost found myself supporting Utd there during that game, simply because of Porto's dirty diving tactics, and the subtle kicks they were giving to the Utd players behind the referee's back. However, then I realised:

a) Porto played the best football over the two legs, outside of their rediculous diving. United going through would have meant having to watch worse football in the next round.
    b) I would have had to put up with the various Utd fans saying that Old Trafford now smelled of sweet roses, Fergie was a tactical genius, and that Wes Brown was really Franco Baresi in disguise. (None of the above appear to be true, by the way)

I appreciate that the referee made some shocking decisions during that game, but he was not helped by the Porto players, and a particularly stupid linesman. But, in fairness, you really have to accept that Utd didn't really deserve to win over the two legs anyway - they didn't get out of their own half in the second half, for God's sake. I don't think I've ever seen Utd try so desperately to shut-up-shop in a home game before. I think that had as much to do with the result as did the linesman's poor decision.

I was rather surprised by Fergie's tactics though. The plan to play Scholes up front, and Giggs on the wing obviously worked better in the first half, yet in the second half, he decided to pretty much resort to the team that played so poorly in the first leg, and lo and behold - they played poorly again. Is that a pattern I see emerging?

I still think the teams to beat will be those who play well without the ball (Milan, Bayern Munich, Deportivo, and Chelsea), and of course, Madrid. Alas, I think my beloved Arsenal will be going out in the quarter or semi-finals again. I just hope United maintain the same form until the middle of next month! (You'll have to forgive me for that, but you know you'd all love the roles to be reversed, right?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

22nd Feb I stated this and was attacked by so called United fans.
    United were pathetic tonight.An absolute shambles going forward.
    They resembled Liverpool.Hoofing the ball up for Rudi to chase.
    No width or shape.
    I was gutted at the final whistle but partly knew Uniteds fate.

Original quote:
    Since United won the Champions league in 99 I think they have been on a downward slide and have never been the same force.
    I am a regular viewer of La Liga and Real Madrid are a far superior team to United.
    For the last few seasons United have been trying to buy ,'Bargain Bin' players.
    Bit players who are not up to the standard at all.
    Its a case of square pegs in a round hole.
    Ferguson sold Beckham and never fully replaced him.
    He bought 2 holding central midfielders to go with his existing 2 ,Keane and Butt and then proceeded to play Philip Neville (an insult to the word professional) as a regular midfielder.
    He bought Veron ,a player who is an enigma and will never make it anywhere.
    He released Ronny Johnsen because United were too mean to give him a one year contract.
    He persists in playing Quentin Fortune in the team.
    He paid 30m for a defender who doesnt mark or tackle.
    Against Leeds at home he played one man up front and employed a lopsided midfield.
    He should have played 2 up front and aim to swamp Leeds .
    This 1 man forward line for home games is a joke.
    I have been a United fan for 20 years but my patience is breaking.
    I am sick of watching them eek out narrow victories over crap opponents .
    They consider themselves to be the best club in the world.
    United need to wake up and smell the coffee.
    Too many bad players playing out of position.
    I used to love watching them play .Barcelona 99 was a great moment.
    Watching them now I know that they havent a hope of repeating that feat.
    Its sad to watch them now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I was rather surprised by Fergie's tactics though. The plan to play Scholes up front, and Giggs on the wing obviously worked better in the first half, yet in the second half, he decided to pretty much resort to the team that played so poorly in the first leg, and lo and behold - they played poorly again. Is that a pattern I see emerging?

You realise Dejmba Dejmba was injured and had to come off?

Fletcher wasn't doing the business and was showing signs of tiredness

He had no other choices on the bench.

In fairness I think Fergie made the right tactical choices which showed in the first half, however in the second things went badly after Deco was allowed move and Porto began to get passing streaks going

Yeah Djemba Djemba was doing well. Had Deco in his back pocket, almost a faultless first half apart from that time he nearly gifted Porto a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

I support Man U and will be the first to admit that Utd were ****e. I thought Djemba Djemba had a great first half and it made a huge difference him going off.

Fletcher, Butt and Giggs were all absolute ****e. Yet again I have been unconvinced by fletcher. He seems to me to have all the Characteristics of a bad player. He's not that fast, he's not that good at crossing the ball. He's not that good defensively and he never ever seems top make the right decision. As for Giggs, I'm sick of his half hearted displays. If giggs doesn't start well then you might as well take him off.

Utd are going to need some serious rebuilding but I don't agree with Jank that it will take 3 years. Remember they were missing a number of key players last night. What they need to do is rebuild their reserves. They no longer have the second team they used to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

They resembled Liverpool.

It was the first thing that I was reminded of last night. Every time they got the ball they hopelessly punted it forward and ended up with Porto passing the ball back towards the united goal for an attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

United simply weren't good enough over 2 legs its as simple as that.

As an ABU I'm delighted to hear that and the fact that it has been said far to regularly of late. Fair enough it was a goal, porto were lucky but overall they were the only team that deserved to go through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

United weren't robbed ffs, they weren't good enough over the two legs. Giggs was crap last night, O'Shea mostly gave the ball away, and Fletcher once again showed he's not good enough.

Personally I'm delighted United are out, main reason is my boss now owes me a tenner :)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭bribren2001

speechless and gutted was the only way to describe me after the match lst night.i know we were prob robbed(scholes 2nd) but we still didnt play anyway near our best.

there was too much hoofing the ball up to ruud and hoping for the best which for champions league level is pathetic-we shud be passin and moving like the way arsenal do it(scumbags).

despite all that misfortune and bad play i still believe we have too many ORDINARY players

Future Players Players that dont cut it world class
    Ronaldo Butt RUUD
    fletcher kleberson
    Miller Forlan
    Djemba(mite come good)

The other players i think are just about holding there own

So i believe that when utd consider buying new players they should look at quality
    rather than quantity of players.

in a weird way i believe porto prob done us a favour bcoz if we had too meet some1 like milan-we wud be hammered.
    we'll have our day in the champions league again and hopefully we will have the players to do it!

Man Utd forever!!!!!

the middle of my previous post came out arse ways.it shud be

Future players- Fletcher,Miller,Ronaldo

Players that dont cut it-Butt,forlan,Kleberson,Djemba(mite come good)

world class-ruud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Won a lot of money on that result both from cocky (we have nothing to worry about) Man U fans and from mr Patrick Power. One down, two to go and the first part of my prediction of a fruitless season for united has come true.

• Advertisement

hey man keep ur comments to the arogance of arsenal site and worry bout them tonight!!!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

:(

PORNAPZ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I hope you were not addressing that to me there bribren2001. Firstly I am not an Arsenal fan and secondly I did not mention Arsenal anywhere in my post.

I am a footy fan and yesterday I put my money where my mouth was and put a bet on Porto to go through after a 1-1 with Man U. I also bet with quite a few Man U fans who would not shut up saying how good Man U are and how they would whip Porto in the next round. They are all down money, and I am up. At least I am gloating for a good reason, I oredicted the result, I put money on and I won.

Alot of disillusioned Man U fans around this morning :)

I feel your pain Porn, now you know what us Pool fans go through week in and week out.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

"United simply weren't good enough over 2 legs its as simple as that"

No its not. They got a perfectly legal goal and it was disallowed. ie they were good enough but they were robbed of the victory.
    There is a good chance that Porto may have lost heart if that goal had been allowed also, if anything, it's disallowing stirred them on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Regarding the ref having a shocker, I have to agree. There was supposed to be 3 added minutes at the end of the second half and I think the ref played closer to 4 1/2 minutes, thus giving Manu several more chances to level the game that they were'nt entitled to.

What was the story with Alberto?? What a cheating scumbag. Haven't seen diving that blatant since Reyes left Seville!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Originally posted by Bungalow Bill
    "United simply weren't good enough over 2 legs its as simple as that"

No its not. They got a perfectly legal goal and it was disallowed. ie they were good enough but they were robbed of the victory.
    There is a good chance that Porto may have lost heart if that goal had been allowed also, if anything, it's disallowing stirred them on.

Come off it, Scholes was about two yards offside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭bdiddy

No doubt about it, Utd have been in terrible form over the last few weeks and Arsenal have been excellent. But remember '98....... Arsenal were class and absolutly unassailable, utd were "in decline"-> '99 utd won the treble.
    I'm a utd fan and i reckon we still need a cupla extra world class players, some1 to replace Roy Keane for example. He's a great player but cant play the whole season and any utd need consistancy in centre-mid.
    Even before that utd's first team is still strong---Howard,Neville, Ferdinand,Silvestre(or Brown), O'shea(on form), Solskear,Scholes, Keane,Giggs(or Ronaldo), Saha, Van Nist!!! Also have P. Neville, Miller, Fletcher, Butt,Djemba Djemba and more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

:(

what a fúcking disaster. I thought we were robbed. 3 players playing Scholes on-side. The linesman must have been on drugs.

Only positive thing to come from the game is the defence played the best (second half) I've seen for a while. Brown was excellent as was O Shea and G Neville. P Neville was shíte. The amount of times Porto got in behind him was unnerving.

I hate to say but we are fúcked this season. No way we are winning the Premiership and we have to beat Arsenal to progress in the FA cup.

I gotta say I put a lot of this season's failings down to Fegie's purchases. He knew Ferdinand was suspended yet didn't strengthen the back. Were paying the price now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

From a morning-after perspective, this thread is a barrel of laughs. To watch the United "fans" go from
    WOOOHOOOO, 1-0 to Man United baby

to
    He scores goals my lord
    he scores goals
    he scores goals my lord
    he scores goals
    he scores goals my lord
    he scores goals
    Paul Scoles
    He scores goals

to
    With costa gone now united should easily dispatch of porto.

to
    if yis are really ireland fans, wud yis not prefer one irish guy (Jonno) in the champ league final than none?
    (i thought this one was particularly funny)

Fair enough, I agree that Scholes disallowed goal was perfect, but United were fairly poor on the night. I absolutely despise Porto and their dirty, cheating tactics, but nobody in the world of football p1sses me off more than AF. He really should give those blinkers back to Rock of Gibraltar sometime. As for now, I can't see why Arsenal cant go all the way. They seem to be in sensational form at the moment, and I honestly cant see anybody beating them, especially if Bayern manage to beat Real. Chelski might have a shout as well, 5 CL clean sheets in a row is some achievement at this stage of the competition, but they'll need to get their strikers firing again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Michelangelo

Originally posted by TwoShedsJackson
    Come off it, Scholes was about two yards offside.

3 PLAYERS KEPT SCHOLES ONSIDE

[edit]Sorry Michelangelo, pressed edit instead of quote.[/edit]

Advertisement