Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Word 2000 problem

Options
  • 09-03-2004 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭

Hey all, I came across a problem today with a machine, windows 2000 with Office 2000 professional on it. When the person starts word and tries to access some files (only some files) an error pops up:
    the instruction "" referenced memory at"". the memory could not be read

click ok to terminate the program
    click on cancel to debug the program

Within the inverted commas, there was hexadecimal code but I didn’t have a chance to write it down. you click ok, word closes and that’s it basically. Word works fine on most files. Incidentally, this pc is the only one to have problems with these files. Other Office 2000 pcs are fine + office XP machines.
    I've tried uninstalling office completely, trying a different office cd install in a new folder, still problem occurs. I left the machine today updating itself to office service pack 3 cause it was on a 56k line. I dunno if that’s gona fix the problem but i'm going back tomorrow

any taughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Is there anything unique to the files that are being opened? Do they require more memory.

Does this machine have anything different installed on it from any other machine.

Was there ever problems opening those files before on the machine?

If not, when was the first time there was a problem?

With that date, check back in event viewer for any suspicious events etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by alleepally
    Is there anything unique to the files that are being opened? Do they require more memory.

Does this machine have anything different installed on it from any other machine.

Was there ever problems opening those files before on the machine?

If not, when was the first time there was a problem?

With that date, check back in event viewer for any suspicious events etc.

Some of the files do have tables and cells in them, which I originally taught was the problem as when I was reading up on support.microsoft.com about this problem, they did say something about tables. However I deleted the tables from the doc from another PC, but the file would not still not open from the troublesome pc.
    The PC used to be able to open the docs.
    Nothing new was installed recently
    Problem started yesturday afternoon
    nothing in event viewer either :(
    No other apps are open at the time when I try open the files.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

try cleaning all temporary files from the problem machine. if file is copied to local hdd do you get same prob?

Advertisement