Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old Player

• 09-03-2004 11:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭

I used to play mtg ages ago and only stumbled across this board by mistake. Im just wondering what are the rules concerning t1 and t2 nowadays. Most my cards are from revised/4th edition, can I still use them?

I still have loads of my old original cards which include a few unlimited and rare legends etc. plus plenty of revised dual lands, what are they worth nowadays?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

Welcome to the board. Information on Type 1/Type 2 is here. (I think Type 2 is called "Standard" now.) You'll certainly be able to use those cards in T1, as long as they're not banned.

Dual lands? Nice one... They could be worth quite a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭americanCat

hey! do you have any unglued or ice age cards?? i have ice age cards and i like them a lot..i figure it doesn't matter what you play with as long as you have fun playing ^_^.
    ~cat~

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

rules have changed a bit since revised and 4th.
    you should check up on them and get into magic again. its what i did.

i have a truck load of ice age cards, happy to trade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Whats changed? I used to be a handy player, lots of great cards still left wasting away, Id love to get back into it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

Well, a lot's changed. I didn't get into the game until 2000, after Sixth Edition rules, so I'm not entirely sure. But:

- Interrupts are gone. They've been replaced with instants; for example, Counterspell is now an instant. All the old Instant cards are still Instants, and Sorceries are still Sorceries.

- There's a concept called "the stack", which is a play area separate from "in play", "graveyard", etc. The stack is where all cards go immediately when you play them (except lands). There are a lot of rules involving this, which you can get from the Comprehensive Rules at http://www.wizards.com/magic/comprules/MagicCompRules020104.doc .

- The creature line "Summon X" is now "Creature - X" (yawn)

- Some artifacts have the "Artifact - Equipment" type. Again, see the Comp Rules; it's only been around since last October, so I'm no expert on it yet.

- There's a new card design, but nothing's been deleted from it.

Anyone know any other changes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭Justice

wow so Interrupts are gone?

ive some counter spells which are interupts. do these play as instants instead or are they invalid? my fork is an interrupt as well :)

/me mourns their loss.

never heard of the "Stack" :)

i'll digest that document when i get time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

interrupts arent really gone, just sort of got ingested by instants

Basically, any time you could play an interruppt, you can play an instant

any time you can play instants, you can play any old interrupts

ah, thats better.
    it just gets rid of all those awkward
    "i interrupt ur interrupt which is interrupting that instant"

which was no bad thing.

i suppose u can cast an instant on another instant? that usent be allowed if i remember correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Originally posted by Justice
    ah, thats better.
    it just gets rid of all those awkward
    "i interrupt ur interrupt which is interrupting that instant"

which was no bad thing.

i suppose u can cast an instant on another instant? that usent be allowed if i remember correct.

Well yes.

Fork is now an instant

Counter-spell is now an instant.

You cast a spell, such as a white knight (I just picked this at random and I think its an alpha card so everyone should have seen one and know what I'm talking about. Although it doesnt really matter if you know what the card is or not, its just a summon creature card, for simplicity :rolleyes: )

Right, now I cast counter-spell on your whitie knight. You can now cast your fork spell targeting my counter-spell and fork it onto my counter-spell, effectively countering my counterspell.

Makes sense?

Basically the game works by priority. The active player (i.e. who evers turn it is at the moment) has first priority, whenever they cast a spell or activate an ability they pass priority, now you can do anything, such as activate an ability or cast an instant speed spell.

The stack works by a first-in last-out system (or filo for you business people) This means that in the scenario I presented, with the white knight & counterspell & fork; white knight is first played and goes onto the stack. If both players pass priority then white knight resolves and comes into play.

If the 2nd players chooses to cast counter-spell when they have priority then the counter-spell goes onto the stack last and resolves before white knight does. This means that white knight is countered before it can come into play.

Now, if the 1st player chooses to cast fork when they again receive priority then white knight is at the top of the stack, then counter-spell and then the fork (which for simplicity in this instance you can just consider a counterspell).

Now, fork resolves first, counters the counter-spell and then the white knight resolves. It would look a little like this :

White Knight
    Counter-spell
    Fork

Pretty straight forward but it requires some questioning and understanding before it will make sense, but trust me, it does.

Another thing for people pre-sixth edition (and something which annoys many of my friends) is that tapping a creature before they deal combat damage, does not prevent them from assigning damage.

So blocking a savanah lion (2/1) then tapping it with icy manipulator before damage is assigned doesnt prevent it from dealing combat damage.

There are alot more rule changes to look out for but the best method of learning the rules is to play with people who know them rather well. Try playing a few games of apprentice online. Explain to the person that you havent played in a while and are unsure of the rules and ask them to be patient with you and just to point out any mistakes you make. If you are going to make an assumption based on the rules ask them to clarify the result before you do. Also, if there are any problems try joining #mtgjudges on efnet and ask them any rules questions.

Also I can be contacted by PM or email just see my profile for details.

thanks ivan.

stack makes sence to me, as a person who used play lots of counterspells im familiar with the "i conterspell ur spell, i counter spell ur counterspell" situations. as u say its a matter of precidence, who goes first comes out last.

yea that creature rule seams strange, as i see it they are basically saying that combat damage is resolved after blockers declared.
    would that mean for ur icy manipulator to be effective uve to tap target creature after owners untap phase but before the declare combat phase. ? (or is my memory way off)

anyways dont worry about replying , i should read the rules.

but i've gotton apprentice, so assuming i can work around our firewall expect me to challange ye sometime.

• Advertisement
Advertisement