Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd - Porto. Which Channel Did You Watch?

• 09-03-2004 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Just curious, I breifly flicked on to TV3 and realised why
    I watch CL on ITV on Tuesdays!

Brutal, give me Ronglish any day.

Mike.

Was it ITV or TV3 for you 21 votes

ITV They're not great but they're not TV3!
    0% 0 votes
    Support your National Independent Channel!
    100% 21 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

ITV, no other Irish channel can compete tbh.

Did anyone notice on ITV, when they were interviewing Fergie, the chanting of the fans in the background, sounded like they were chanting something about him and from the look on his face it weren't good !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

ITV also. Can't stand the TV3 pair. Especially Kevin Moran, the guy can barely talk never mind commentate. The commentary and analysis are better on ITV plus Ron Atkinson usually says something stupid :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by Dr. Dre

Did anyone notice on ITV, when they were interviewing Fergie, the chanting of the fans in the background, sounded like they were chanting something about him and from the look on his face it weren't good !

I did notice, he looked like he just about understood what they were saying (I did'nt as I don't speak Man U).

Mike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

ITV no question!
    TV3 they honestly dont deserve to show those matches because of the tripe they serve, i would if it is, but it is anything but!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Michelangelo

No. That was not the fans.

That was from the Porto dressing room where they were shouting "porto porto" and portuguese. Fergie was in total shock. So was I and every other Utd fan.

Oh ye, I only watch it on the English channels when available. The rest are ****. TV3 has no atmosphere, they only have one guy talking with Packy.

ITV have commentary from the venue and you can hear the fans making it far better.

PS: Did anyone else hear the fans shouting "The referee's a wanker" during the match before the volume was turned down. I started laughing.:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Aliminator

TV3 should be shot for having Mark Lawrenson, but still, better than RTE who ALWAYS show Man Utd. ffs. they're not even showing the arsenal game tomorrow.
    bring back EUROSPORT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Michelangelo

Originally posted by Aliminator
    TV3 should be shot for having Mark Lawrenson, but still, better than RTE who ALWAYS show Man Utd. ffs. they're not even showing the arsenal game tomorrow.
    bring back EUROSPORT

What's wrong with Mark Lawrenson? If they did not have him, they would be fooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Aliminator

he's ITV's unwanted trash. there should be no place for him at TV3 either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Lets face it - what do TV3 have?
    • Packie Bonner, and his abysmal ability to read an autocue.
    • Mark Lawrenson in the studio - the most negative man alive.
    • Trevor Welsh, or whoever it is commentating. Memorable quote: "Its like a game of chess! Is that check-mate?"
    • Co-comentator #1: Kevin Moran. Most negative Irishman ever.
    • Co-comentator #2: Frank Stapleton. Good striker, but sounds like a paranoid choirboy who got a kick in the nuts.
    • Co-comentator of ultimate crapness #3: Mick Martin. Memorable quote: "You have to say, Newcastle are really holding their own here." (...5 minutes pass..) "Of course, I mean Leeds Utd. *nervous laugh*" (During Leeds vs. Real Madrid)

The only thing I dislike about ITV is their sychophantic interviewer - Gary Something-or-other - who insists on licking up to Alex Ferguson, just in case Alex ever gets the huff and stops feeding them his opinions on all and sundry. Did anyone else notice the easy escape he served up to Alex tonight? "Do you think that the disallowed goal might have been what cost you the game tonight Alex?"

Perhaps. But it also might have something to do with the bizarre tactic of refusing to leave your own half of the pitch during the second half. Doesn't public service broadcasting have to answer to some kind of commission, or something...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I never listen to the commentator's. When I am watching a premiership match on Sky I would listen to the fanzone, if thats not available I just listen to newstalk 106 talking about sport.

It isn't possible for TV3 to go to the matches so they are stuck in a studio. They should make it more lively. How about a big (huge) screen behind them showing the pitch and about 4 pundits talking about the game. Also, I prefer to watch interviews of players rather than analysis of the match, they have 2 weeks to set up every bloody match, they should do it better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Aye, can't stand TV3 myself. That commentator who calls Valencia, "Valenthia"... jesus I just wanna stab him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

errr that's how you're supposed to pronounce valencia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I had to watch it on TV3 as I don't have ITV in my house at the moment.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

ITV. TV3 are crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

There is no doubt that ITV is better, mainly because of all the cash they have to throw at each screening. Poor old TV3 are doing the best they can with fairly limited resources, using irish footballing legends obviously doesnt cut the mustard with some people...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

UTV reception is awful in my house, so had to be TV3 :(

Commentary was woeful at times, along the lines of:

'Porto win the ball, and pass it to another Porto player...'

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭lad12

I watched it on itv...talk about being the most bia-est commentry and half time talk...like ally mcoist...Man utd didnt deserve to go out 2nite..yeah rite..over the two legs porto deserved to go thru...last nite they didnt create much chances but they controlled the ball for long periods..

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Originally posted by PiE
    Aye, can't stand TV3 myself. That commentator who calls Valencia, "Valenthia"... jesus I just wanna stab him.
    lol

someones never been to spain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I have and I still don't care. He's not Spanish so he just sounds like a twat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭lad12

Watch spainish football on sky...its the same...its the rite way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

TBH, I thought the TV3 commentary wasn't as bad as usual last night. Sometimes the people they use can make a match seem a lot worse than it is.

Likewise I far prefer to watch Premiership hilights on ITV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

TV3, last night. Mainly because I watched it on the second TV, so no ITV on it. TV3 commentary are so poor - it is like literal descriptions for the blind; the guys would sound dull on radio, and the fact that you are watching just what they are makes it even worse.

A few questions:

1. Why don't they send commentators to the actual match? Maybe then they could offer something more inspiring (though I doubt it).
    2. Why not a panel - RTE never seem to have a problem getting 2/3 panellists of quality, how come TV3 can't.
    3. Does anyone really need to see the second match in full? It means waiting til 12.00 for the result, why can't they offer an extended highlights version. Don't they also 'pretend' that the match is live, taking a break between the halves, analysing the action etc as though waiting for the team to come out, etc. They do the same with the Irish matches - why not offer something different?

Once again it is the case that TV3 are simply in it for the advertising revenue, they do not want to spend anything on production, like anything they make it is more about creaming it than doing it well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 syngin

Does anyone really need to see the second match in full? It means waiting til 12.00 for the result, why can't they offer an extended highlights version
    I agree totally

Advertisement