Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuff id like to know ........ plz thnx

• 10-03-2004 3:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

I cant wait for broad band as u all know my posting here has been a lot lately but i was just wondering what things are going to piss me off when i get like will there be any phoneline problems u see i downgraded from isdn to psdn but i still have a line in my room with the isdn box will that be a problem .............. what else will i have to expect ........... i dunno, im getting eircom home starter plus 8gb cap and also what is the actual price now is it still 54 € or more ........... its for gaming mainly whats the ping like ??

:confused::D ???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

eircom is meant to be the best ping for gaming but since iol is reselling eircom radsl they should be the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

i play Bf1942 on a irish server useing Esat Iol BB plus i get around 35-40 ping
    Dataisgod who i play the most with is on Eircom bb plus and gets around 5 to 10 ms less than me on adverage....and its pritty much always like that
    im getting eircom home starter plus 8gb cap and also what is the actual price now is it still 54 € or more

Eircom Broadband Home Plus 55 euro a month
    Esat Broadband Home Plus : 47 euro a month (+ 8 gig extra download a month)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

The ISDN box in your room is irrelevant - you should take it off the wall, and put it away somewhere (it still belongs to €ircon, and they may come looking for it some day). The line from your master socket may or may not be usable as a normal extension, if you install an ordinary phone socket instead of the ISDN. "May or may not" means that to may be connected to the same incoming pair as your master socket, in which case you can use it straightaway; or it may be connected to the second incoming pair, in which case you would have to rewire it at the master socket. In my case, my now-defunct ISDN was additional to my existing PSTN line, so they used the second pair. If at some stage you upgraded your PSTN to ISDN, they may have used the original pair.

This is all irrelevant if you don't want to use the connection in your room, but assuming you do, get a phone socket, wire it up, and plug in a phone. If you hear a dial tone, you're all set. If you don't, open up the master socket, and rewire the cabling to your room in parallel with the master socket.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Eircom would be the best pinging most stable of all the broadband services with exception to NTL cable and ESAT Business which are only in a few areas anyway. Irish Broadband tends to be either unusable for gaming or the best gaming experience ever depending on the users location etc.
    anyway heres pings using eircom for irish and uk servers to give you an idea of what you might get. These are dos pings and ingame pings can be a bit higher by about 4ms - 8ms but mostly they work out the same.

Pinging www.boards.ie [82.195.131.128] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=58
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=58
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=58
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=58

Ping statistics for 82.195.131.128:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 26ms, Maximum = 29ms, Average = 27ms

Pinging clarity.jolt.co.uk [195.149.21.11] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=37ms TTL=57
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=57
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=35ms TTL=57
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=37ms TTL=57

Ping statistics for 195.149.21.11:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 35ms, Maximum = 37ms, Average = 36ms

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

also those pings i posted there tend to get a bit lower in the evening/nighttime when i would be playing games. I use the normal cayman modem supplied by Eircom but i think other boards users who got routers etc can get lower pings again depending on router and closeness to the exchange. and yes the broadband plus package is €54 a month. Also bear in mind that Eircom are going to start charging for breaking the 8gig cap very shorty.

• Advertisement
Advertisement