Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Impending Transport Strike

Options
  • 10-03-2004 11:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Once again we are to be subjected to the tyranny of the transport unions. This time on our national holiday. How much more damage do they think they can inflict on the public at large and the tourist industry / economy and still get any sympathy for their cause?

Are the threatened strikes justified? 14 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    28% 4 votes
    Don't know
    71% 10 votes
    Don't care
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

have little respect for todays unions

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭K2

the strike is actually on the 18th and not St Patricks day. I've no time for unions myself and I don't use public transport but its not against the law for them to show their protest against changes affecting their jobs.

Yes, it will cause transport problems on the day but getting home late from work is a small issue when you compare it against some of the issues workers in Dublin Bus, CIE and Bus Eireann are facing.

btw I voted "don't care"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 VictorCharlie

I know the strike is on the 18th, you don't really expect them to miss out on the premium rates paid for working a holiday do you?

People won't just get home from work late, they may not get to work at all. It may cost the economy a couple of days production as people who may not get to work on Thursday may not turn up for work on Friday. It will be interesting to see the level of absenteeism in the transport sector on the Friday.

How will the national transport plan ever work if people will not relinquish use of private cars in favour of public transport because they know that they cannot depend on it?

Having the strike on the 18th and not the 17th has probably little to do with holiday pay and more to do with having a greater impact. The demand for transport on the Wednesday will be a fraction compared to the Thursday.

Don't suppose you know how many public transport days have been lost over the past, say two years, due to industrial action? (not a trick question, I'm just wondering if people will actually be pushed back into using their cars because the public transport system is unreliable due to strikes)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭Genghis

I normally get the train, but next Thursday I will have to drive. I intend leaving before 5.30 in the morning, and getting out of the office before 4 in the afternoon. That is going to be one crazy day for traffic.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Ive a car....

so do most other people here were i work....

Therefore, I wont be driving into work, ill just say i cant get in, theres not a hope in hell of me driving my car in to drive around for half the day looking for parking and then having it clamped, or broken into.

woohoo... roll on the day off.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I've already booked the damned day off so I can't even pretend to take one off extra :(

Advertisement