Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm Systems

• 10-03-2004 2:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭

Just tried to order BBplus from IOL. IOL BB seem to have introduced a new policy of not allowing broadband if you have a "phone watch" type monitored house alarm. So i cant get it....Do the others providers have this policy?

p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

dont tell them about your alarm and then search this board, I saw a reference to rewiring your alarm around the splitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I have a monitored alarm and am with UTV Clicksilver. I was never asked if i had an alarm when I signed up and all works fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

From what I've made out, the only problem that can be experienced with having phonewatch and dsl together without rewiring some stuff is that if/when the alarm goes off and the alarm makes a call out to its monitoring centre, your dsl connection will die for the duration of that call. Which most likely wont be the largest of your worries if your house alarm is going off in the first place :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Groovy....I'll order it and if there are any problems i'll play stupid and get an engineer.

it has been a bit of ordeal trying to order broadband over the last few weeks....lines failing, extensions breaking, lying sales people....

Anyway...not over yet but i believe i see light at the end of the tunnel :cool:

p

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Abeynormal

"light at the end of the tunell"....

Broadband...

Ireland....

Must be a train!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I don't get what the providers problems are.
    Eircom try to tell you the opposite . They say you must have their phone line or else use GSM . (Bad advice on 2 counts)
    At the end of the day its all lies.
    An alarm digi is basically an analogue phone so anything you can connect a standard phone to and make a call will work with your alarm.
    What Moriarty is saying is correct. The Alarm should have priority over everything else. So the line in goes to the alarm first & then to your broadband modem etc. When the alarm seizes the line the DSL drops off from the modem & your broadband cuts out. Hardly a problem, but it can be got around by using a filter like this.
    431-DSL.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

KoolKid wrote: »
    They say you must have their phone line or else use GSM . (Bad advice on 2 counts)
    At the end of the day its all lies.

how else do you suggest the alarm contacts the monitoring centre ?

Hardly a problem, but it can be got around by using a filter like this.
    431-DSL.gif

if you have a properly wired connection on a phone line, DSL won't drop at all ... those filters above are notoriously crap

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

arctan wrote: »
    how else do you suggest the alarm contacts the monitoring center ?
    Via any other providers line . UPC Etc.
    There are known issues with GSM reliability because of jammers. They should not be offered without informing the customer of the risks.
    arctan wrote: »
    if you have a properly wired connection on a phone line, DSL won't drop at all ... those filters above are notoriously crap

Whats a properly wired connection where the alarm gets priority and line seizure & the DSL doesn't drop off?
    With the above filter , the DSL won't drop off. I have used 100s of the above without any issues. I have not heard of anyone else in the industry having issues either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Whats a properly wired connection where the alarm gets priority and line seizure & the DSL doesn't drop off?
    Well, another way to do it is to split the signal before the alarm, then run separate phone and DSL pairs to a dual rj-11 faceplate, with the phone pair running through the alarm first. That way you don't need a filter on the DSL socket, you just connect the modem straight to the designated RJ-11 socket on the faceplate.
    With the above filter , the DSL won't drop off. I have used 100s of the above without any issues. I have not heard of anyone else in the industry having issues either.
    I agree, I have one fitted at the moment, and it's just fine. They're made by Excelsus, a reputable company who also supply, or at least did, the standard splitters and filters to Eircom.

Splitting the voice and data is the same as what that filter is doing anyway.

• Advertisement

Splitting the voice and data is the same as what that filter is doing anyway.
    True, but then it's somehow either recombining them again, or otherwise somehow allowing the full signal to be carried on the 'line out' output so that you still require filters or splitters on the phone socket(s). I'm not sure of how it does it internally as I've not found a circuit diagram, but it does work.

Splitting before the alarm, and running a separate DSL pair to a dedicated rj-11 socket is a 'cleaner solution' in my view, and it's also what the faceplates that Eircom now supply when they do a DSL install in a house with a monitored alarm do.

Back when I had DSL installed (I was an early adopter!) nobody in either organisation (alarm company or Eircom) seemingly had a clue about what to do in such circumstances, so I imported one of those filters from the UK. I'd maybe do it differently now.

Using that filter you can still do what you are suggesting. You can keep voice and data separated by talking the voice after the alarm but before the return into the filter.

Using that filter you can still do what you are suggesting. You can keep voice and data separated by talking the voice after the alarm but before the return into the filter.
    You could do that, yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Hopefully the OP got sorted in the meantime..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Hopefully the OP got sorted in the meantime..

i can't remember...:o

Ahh The good old days when we were told 512k was high speed broadband.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Ahh The good old days when we were told 512k was high speed broadband.:rolleyes:

It still is, this is Ireland

Bugger, I'm usually quick at spotting ancient zombie threads ... sorry :)

Advertisement