Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Restarting

Options
  • 10-03-2004 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭

Over a period of the past few weeks my pc has restarted itself with little or no warning as to when it's going to do so and i can't for the life of me figure out why. I get a poxy blue screen of death for a millisecond before the pc restarts. This tends to happen as i boot up the pc in windows xp, as the screen goes blank right before it shows the welcome screen, it'll show this bsod and reboot. It takes at least 3 restarts for it to finally fully boot. Some days it's fine and other it'll reboot at least once when i'm just doing stuff with the OS. It's starting to happen more frequently and is worrying me. I've run full virus and spyware scans and cleaned the system so i dont think it's a virus of any sort, although i could be wrong. I'm thinking it's more hardware related, which would be a real pain as i only had to replace my motherboard not so long ago. Anyone else had this experience and know how to remedy it? Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

The BSOD might point to the errant driver that's causing the problem. You should hit <WINDOWS><Pause/Break>, go to Advanced, Startup and Recover settings and uncheck Automatically restart. When the BSOD appears see if there's any useful information on screen. It might tell you what .SYS the exception occured.

Did this start happening after installing a new device, software? See if you can use the restore point feature to roll back to a working config.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭MrVestek

No nothing in the system has changed which is annoying me. Erm, surely there's a log in my system somewhere that tells me the text of the bsod? Considering as i just turned off automatically restart, i saw that it automatically makes an error log, can't i just use the text from this and see what's wrong?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Contol panel, administrative tools, event viewer, and system do it for you?

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Erm nope, that's not what i'm after, but thanks anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Depending on what sort of dump (if any) is being created a .DMP file is usually created in your %WINDIR% directory (usualy c:\windows on XP). If you feel so inclined you could download the Windows debugger and open this crash dump, give the command !analyze -v to see what driver caused the exception.

If you've nothing better to do :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement