Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you do?

Options
  • 10-03-2004 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭

Consider the following hypothetical situation... You are unable to get any kind of broadband... but you discover one day that someone's unsecured wireless network covers your entire house.. Their router is connected to DSL... You have access and it seems your problems are solved... Considering they haven't set up any form of security you assume that they aren't avid computer users and your use of bandwidth will most likely not affect them and go unnoticed...

What would you do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

You are unable to get any kind of broadband... but you discover one day that someone's unsecured wireless network covers your entire house

So the house right beside you can get it but you cant?? Thats odd, any reason??
    I would let them know, then offer to secure their network, for a small fee of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

Hey! I said it was "hypothetical" ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭ronanp

You use it, and dont stop unless you notice some sort of lag. No harm done.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

Oh ya "hypothetical" :rolleyes: ........

Nah wouldnt use it.
    Yea I know they deserve it for leaving things wide open, but it's still stealing their bandwidth.

Not saying i would look down my nose at anyone who does/did/ "hypothetically" plans to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

Make sure they know that you are computer savvy.

Then start ensuring that they receive lots of popup messages on their desktop. Then, you offer to fix up for them, and either friendlily suggest that you'd be happy to go splits on the cost or get them to put you on a retainer so that you can afford it.

Hypothetically of course...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

Assuming there was another "hypothetical" problem... you didn't have a clue where the signal was coming from...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

You walk around the house with your laptop going closer and closer to where the signal gets stronger. You locate the house said hypothetical emissions are emitting from.

You can then

a) Write a letter to them telling them the deal and ask if you can share connection and are willing to split the cost of broadband. Or just knock on their door and ask, though they may be confused with this.

or

b) Be a complete scummer and rob their internet connection that they are paying for.

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 32 madboy

"Hypothetically,,,where do you live,"he said, getting into car with wireless laptop

If it was a hypothetical large company with huge bandwith I probably would try it but not a home user. BB aint THAT fast that u wouldn't notice the drop in bandwith. I know I would and I would start looking for causes

Advertisement