Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "I have a gripe with Ivan thread"

• 10-03-2004 6:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭

I'd just like to say, if anyone has a problem with my moderating of carlow IT please say here now.

If enough people say "Yes" I'll step down and someone else can take it.

Hopefully this will prevent any further badgering about my Modding skillz or else get ye a more suitable moderator.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

Yes,
    My main problem is that your not strict enough, we wanted Stalin, and we got Mussolini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭UnrealQueen

My gripe is that you alwayz lock my threads saying there irrelevant to the college. I recently posted 2: "What exam are you currently missing?" and "What do you hope to do when you leave the college?"

How are they irrelevant to the college. College is about exams and people go there to go to classes and hopefully pass exams and then leave to go on to something better.

Step down and bring Mordeth back.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=125861&highlight=mods

Originally posted by UnrealQueen

Yes, followed by the army of mice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

My gripe is that you alwayz lock my threads saying there irrelevant to the college. I recently posted 2: "What exam are you currently missing?" and "What do you hope to do when you leave the college?"

How are they irrelevant to the college. College is about exams and people go there to go to classes and hopefully pass exams and then leave to go on to something better.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=125861&highlight=mods

Mordeth doesnt want to be moderator anymore. He's been scared away by the incessant spamming/abuse he received.

Its not just about a thread being irrelevant, its just not worthy of a discussion on these boards. What is the point of talking about them other than for the sake of talking about them?

This is hopefully the last time I'll have to say this but :

People wear shoes.

People in college wear shoes.

Wow, shoes are relevant to college!

Lets talk about this?!! *

* Please note this is sarcasm, the first person to start a thread about shoes in college will be banned.

Boards is not a playground where everyone posts about how they went to college today or didnt, or what lab they are in etc. etc.

Its about things related to carlow that isnt just pure crap.

Again, this reflects the opinions (and actions) of me, Ivan the moderator. If anyone disagrees (although I'd hope most would agree) please discuss it with an admin.

If we can't post threads on what we do in the college (exams and classes) what should we post about. The architecture maybe?

yes i think the library is built very well. It has good solid walls and a carpeted floor. It also has a big load of interesting books and computers. etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Daithi23

should we not be able to talk about what we want like wat people are going to do when their finish or are we going to be limited to what the mods wanna talk about all the time...:confused::o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

I think the topics would go down a bit better if they werent turned into complete tripe or conversations between two people who are probably sitting beside each other. We aren't limited to what the mod's want to talk about either, we're just not subjected to crap that nobody but the posters want to see, ivan and tom are doing the right thing.

Ps, we don't want to hear what lecturers you fall asleep thinking about.

I think I_am_Dogboy sums up my position entirely.

Excuse me dogboy, but you can hardly give out about my threads when you posted on them.

Excuse me, but at what point do people waive their right to complain about someones thread simply by posting on them and more to the point, where does he complain about your thread.

Stop jumping down peoples throats and give them a chance to speak.

I am getting incredibly close to permanently banning you, Unrealqueen.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by i_am_dogboy
    Iturned into complete tripe ,
    subjected to crap ,
    we don't want to hear what lecturers you fall asleep thinking about.

Thats where.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Senor_Fudge

hi all
    i know ive nothing to do with carlow It
    but im a big fan of unrealqueen and am wondering why her posts keep getting locked when she actually posts relevant material

can anyone tell me?

Cos she's an attention whore, who cant stop posting for five minutes. Who, if left unchecked would bring Boards servers to their knees?

Please tell me your being sarcastic, bribed or blind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Originally posted by Ivan
    Cos she's an attention whore, who cant stop posting for five minutes. Who, if left unchecked would bring Boards servers to their knees?
    i love that in a woman:D

she's an attention whore,

OOh i can't believe you said that. Be careful Ivan, your going somewhere now there's no coming back from.

im not being sarcastic nor am i being bribed nor am i blind

i just think unrealqueen is a nice girl and she deserves a bit of a break when a break is due
    how about it Ivan?

OOh i can't believe you said that. Be careful Ivan, your going somewhere now there's no coming back from.

Only because you've been there and back, I WILL not be harrassed or abused by you any longer.

If you follow the charter rules we should have no reason to communicate at all.

Oh Pahleez, abused? harrassed? oh stop my sides are splitting.

So if someone questions ur modding, it's abuse and harrassment. I see.

You haven't questioned my modding.

You bitched, whined, prodded, poked, complained, moaned and sulked about my modding.

You did everything BUT the right thing, which is to complain on feedback/suggestions or pm an admin.

Your attempts at constantly discussing my modding is not desired, not wanted.

Your incessant nagging, your constantly putting words in my mouth.

Just stop discussing anything with me. The only time you need communicate with me is the next time you warrant me giving you your permanent banishment*

I dont think I can make it any clearer than that.

Just stop!

Cease and desist.

Hopefully this will be the last time I succumb to your trolling.

I cant believe I've let it go this far.

Consider yourself added to my ignore list (except when posting to Carlow IT)

Goodbye.

* No, this is not a threat, its not meant to imply I'm out to get you. Its a warning, meaning quite simply : Next time you put a foot wrong, your banned permanently.

must be that time of the month for ivan :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Kain

To be honest i don't really have much of a problem with Ivans mod skills (if thats what you can call them)

But i do think that UnrealQueen does have a point when she says that these threads on tests and classes are apart of college and so there fore they should be allowed. You keep saying it yourself Ivan that we should stick to things about the college...... well tests and classes are pretty much the core things in college so, by your own rules, they should be allowed. Even if it is about which ones your missing.

For some of us this is the only way for us to talk to each other cause UnrealQueen and You, Ivan don't really know what i look like so we can't really meet up in the pub to talk about things like you said we should.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Use IRC for the rubbish threads and conversations. or MSN or something. Ivan's right and until an Admin disagrees with him his word is law, or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Originally posted by Daithi23
    should we not be able to talk about what we want like wat people are going to do when their finish or are we going to be limited to what the mods wanna talk about all the time...:confused::o

Agreed

Originally posted by lafortezza
    Use IRC for the rubbish threads and conversations. or MSN or something. Ivan's right and until an Admin disagrees with him his word is law, or something.

Welcome to dimocracy, Freedom of speech.

And if his words are law then UnrealQueen has broken none in the fact that she has talked about college.

And since a lot of people seem to put this up, no i have not been bribed or blackmailed, in fact UnrealQueen doesn't even know what i look like.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Originally posted by Kain

Yes but it has to have relevance to the forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Do a search on "benign dictatorship"
    And if his words are law then UnrealQueen has broken none in the fact that she has talked about college.
    Mods usually make common sense decisions about what they deem suitable for the forum they take care of. Ivan has stated his thoughts on the way UnrealQueen posts. Deal with it or take it up with the Admins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Headcase

i find threads on what people intend to do when they finish college, relevant and interesting. threads on exams and classes, relevant, but threads on missing classes or exams are a waste of time.

and in relation to the thread on what lectures people fancy, why didn't you close it Ivan instead of responding to it!

freedom of speech doesn't exist firstly, it's a nice idea, or something to make people feel like they have a voice, and their opinion actually counts for something.

now as strange and foreign as this sounds .... I agree with Ivan 100% on everything he has said /in this thread/.

if you want to talk about the coldness in carlow, or how colours are great .... do it on irc - thats the place for it [btw, if I see anyone talking such crap on irc ... *kick*]

sometimes useful information is posted here [rare as it is], and I'd prefer to not have to read 10 threads filled with purile crap, to find /maybe/ one posting which is useful/relates to me ... or something I remotely care about.

Senor_Fudge : Very nice, sticking up for someone who stuck up for you about being an asshole of a drunk ... debt repayed, congrats.

Since new mods were picked, this board is actually worth reading again - and visiting the odd time, Although said before in a sarcastic manner ... I think if anything Ivan/Tom are too easy on people here ...

• Advertisement

OK even i can see how off topic this has gone.

So for my point, i don't have a problem with Ivans moderating, But i don't think that UnrealQueen should be banned for her posted.

Originally posted by Headcase
    i find threads on what people intend to do when they finish college, relevant and interesting. threads on exams and classes, relevant, but threads on missing classes or exams are a waste of time.

Thats pretty much how I feel.
    Originally posted by Headcase
    and in relation to the thread on what lectures people fancy, why didn't you close it Ivan instead of responding to it!

Because I thought it was actually amusing. I figured people could have a laugh about it, I did threaten to lock it if it got out of hand. But I dont think it did.

As for my comments on the way UnrealQueen posts, I stand by them. I think I'm perfectly entitled to form my own opinion based on HER actions.

Democracy doesnt exist here. A benign dictator is apointed and s/he runs the forum.
    Thats the way its always been. If they get out of hand then an admin steps in and replaces them.

And I'd hate to think of my words as law and your right, Unrealqueen has kept things relevant to the college. But the fact is, there is an Irc chat room where EVERYONE can talk as much crap as they want, about whatever they want. Its totally uncensored (well within reason) so go nuts. Boards is not a facility for 2 people to have a conversation about whether Eddie Hickey is a man or an automated response unit such as here.
    And since a lot of people seem to put this up, no i have not been bribed or blackmailed, in fact UnrealQueen doesn't even know what i look like.

The reason I said this was because I assumed everyone else felt the same way as me. I was just shocked when Senor_fudge, someone who apparently doesnt know UnrealQueen at all, should come along and defend her.

OK even i can see how off topic this has gone.

So for my point, i don't have a problem with Ivans moderating, But i don't think that UnrealQueen should be banned for her posted.

No, no. This is precisely how I want this topic to go. I want to know exactly how people feel, you know, get some feedback/Discussion.

UnrealQueen hasnt been banned for her posted (I'm not entirely sure I know what you mean by this...)

She was banned before but thats a different issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭The_Goose

ok so only subjects relevant to carlow it are to be discussed here, and only subjects with an intelligent basis like A B

These are not digs at you just trying to show you, you have done the same and all though, the threads might be relevant to some user's of the IT board, they are not for all and it could be argued that you could have pm'd whoever you needed to about these!Like you could have pm'd snowball and told him what you thought of his sig!!

Now i think ye are doing a wonderful job as mod, a slightly jello like fist(firm but fair)
    is what was needed but the problem is ye are not been specific enough for poster's to tell what is exceptable or not!!!

Or maybe they know and just want to see how far they can push the limits!!

Either way i think everyone needs to calm down a bit!!I know i rather Ivan to mordeth(my bum is still sore), but you can wait til all hell breaks lose in a thread
    before closing it!!
    Unreals threads weren't doing any harm, just keeping the board ticking over til a more suited subject appears, like for instance why are the lecturars allowed just skip the que in the canteen, is it no one stops them or an unwritten rule!!!

Good afternoon, good evening and good morning again!! :)

Firstly I'd like to point out how my threads are taken completely out of context, that is, I was completely stoned at the times.

Secondly, it has no baring on this conversation as I was not moderating myself at the time and the then moderator, Mordeth, thought they were either, amusing, relevant, or worthy of discussion.

Things dont have to be intelligent, I dont know where you got that idea. I'm not a snob or an elitist. Hence the "What lecturer do you fancy" thread etc. etc.

The problem is, I'm going about doing my job, moderating where I think moderating is needed and I'm being hassled for it.

A was a celebration of DSL, a notice to all other members of Carlow IT that we had dsl and also a nice little poem as well...

B was something that need to be aired before I bitchslaped the next person to whine to me about Snowballs sig.

Both were quite amusing I thought and if someone were to create those threads today, I would laugh and NOT close them, UnrealQueen or not.

Maybe thats just me, maybe I have a weird sense of humour compared to the rest of ye.

My job is not to wait until all hell breaks loose and then moderate but rather to prevent all hell from breaking loose in the first place.

Also I thought, if anything, I'm repeating myself too much. I can't speak for TomTom, but the way I moderate things is by reading the charter. Comparing a post to the charter and asking, is this relevant, is this worth talking about or is it just plain funny?

Maybe I'm being a little vague but I'm only human, if it were set down in stone what was acceptable and what wasnt, things would be very quiet around here. As it is, I thought I had reached a fair compromise between spam & non-spam, apparently some of you disagree with me.

I'd like to hear why.

Would you like to post whatever you want, whenever you want. Would you like it if each day there were 50-100 posts of "What lab are you in, did you see that one?" or "You're an idiot, no you're an idiot, no YOU'RE and idiot!" etc. etc.

Just because the board is here, doesnt mean you HAVE to post.
    Use some self-restraint.

B was something that need to be aired

B is about somebody's sig. That needs to be aired does it??? Read the charter boy. Threads about someone's sig is not relevant to the college.

If any of us wrote a thread about someone's sig, it would be locked and we'd be banned before we'd clicked "submit reply".

• Advertisement

I'm not sure were to go from here without offending people.:confused:

I am satisfied with the moderating on this forum, i know that maybe that "Eddie Hickey - Man or Automated Response Unit" was probably best shut down cause lets face it it was a bit of a waste of time sonce only two people were using it.

I guess it's hard looking at both sides of the coin.

On one side Ivan is trying to keep the place as clean as he can and stopping things before they happen.

On the other i see a lot of UnrealQueens threads being shut down even though they are about college. So there seems to me like theres not much wrong with them.

Maybe i'm the only one that hinks this i'm not sure.

And about what i said earlier Ivan about this thing going off topic, My bad, sorry. I didn't think this is what you wanted.

i'm sorry but you are a whinger, you are a mod, poster's will complain about you, your not even listening to people are sayin, you just sittin back waitin for something you can response to, and then goin on the attack!! Relax, nobody really cares.
    A was a celebration of DSL, a notice to all other members of Carlow IT that we had dsl and also a nice little poem as well...
    Which has what to do with carlow IT!

Secondly, it has no baring on this conversation as I was not moderating myself at the time and the then moderator, Mordeth, thought they were either, amusing, relevant, or worthy of discussion.
    Yes but you are a mod now and such threads if started now would be closed immediatly and you know it!

Originally posted by Manticore
    your not even listening to [what] people are sayin, you just sittin back waitin for something you can response to, and then goin on the attack!!

My friend, you just hit the nail on the head. He never ever listens. According to him, he's always right (especially when he's wrong). 2 out of 3 times when he responds to (well mine anyway i've noticed the most sorry) threads, it's to attack.

He asked me about the exam thread before he locked, not that what i said would have made much difference. But when i tried to explain reasoning to him, that exams actually are relevant to the college, his ears shut. It's his "interpretation" he calls it. If he thinks its not relevant, then it isn't. (?????)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Headcase

i want to hear TomTom's point of view on all this.

so when you stop humping the Kangeroos out there and turn on a computer TomTom, gives us your insight!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Reading, watching, ever vigilant.... :)

DeV.

• Advertisement

Yeah lets see what the other mod has to say, until then lets breathe 1 2 3 4 breathe 1 2 3 4 etc!:D :rolleyes:

Originally posted by DeVore
    Reading, watching, ever vigilant.... :)

DeV.

I think he meant the other Tom :P

As for being a whinger, sure thats fair.

As for being a mod, thats also true.

As for sitting back and attacking people being all I do, well thats just downright false.

I reply to posts with my opinion, its not meant to be an attack.

And yes, posters will complain about me, but rather than ban anyone who does, I want to know why and what I can do to change that.

I honestly dont know if I would close threads like my own, I cant say without being biased. The fact of the matter is, I wrote it so of course I'm going to say I wouldnt close it. I just genuinely dont know.

The fact is, this board was a few steps away from being closed. Because all it seemed to attract was mindless spammy nonsense. I've tried to remedy that while not censoring anything decent, I thought I'd acheived that. My previous history really has no relevance to the issue at hand. There are different moderators, with different goals, aims and standards. Although, to be fair, if thats the worst of my posts you can find, I still think thats pretty tame by todays standards.

Anyway, I'm begining to think maybe this was a bad idea.

This here is a perfect example of me writing a perfectly relevant thread to the college and it being locked because Ivan says it isn't relevant. Especially even more interesting is his post when he locks it.

I like my way better.

On a totally unrelated topic, thread closed.

This is the last time I'm going to close one of these spammy, bloody useless threads.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=145497

......since when do students care about exams ?
    It's not exactly a motivating topic, or something which is interesting at all really ... i had exam yesterday, don't feel need to bore people with details...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Originally posted by Sinnocence
    Yes, followed by the army of mice!

if I were a bitter man I'd take offence to that

if I were a man

Originally posted by Sinnocence
    ......since when do students care about exams ?
    It's not exactly a motivating topic, or something which is interesting at all really ... i had exam yesterday, don't feel need to bore people with details...

If you don't want to talk about them then don't answer the thread!

Either way it's still apart of college and so it is/should be allowed to place a thread on the board.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Hello and good evening.

To be honest unreal queen I am with ciaran 110% on this.

A while ago when myself and ciaran took over as mods of the boards, we said there was zero tolerence for spam for a while to bring the board back under control. But you have spammed over and over again. Try using commone sence when posting.

The charter for instance, you started at ciaran when you were clearly in the wrong and then tried to pull the thread into an argument about another topic altogether.
    I will agree that threads about exams and classes are relevent to the college but in certain context, maybe if you had posted a week before to inform everyone in the class that there was a test, thet would be relevent material.
    When you are posting about an exam you have today and that you are not ready or if you only found out about a test, thats a personal matter for yourself and nothing to do with the college.

Also when a mod closes a thread they have a reason for doing so. If you disagree you do not just open another thread. You either pm the mod or send a complaint to one of the admins.

A few people are making this forum a lot harder to maintain than it should be ( unreal is not alone). Maybe if you just relaxed of the posting for a while you would see a lot less hassel from the mods.

So its at ivans discression to give you a one month ban if you over step the charter again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,309 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I've my gripes with Ivan, but TomTom has a valid point when he mentions that the zero tolerance thing on spam was a good thing. I don't mind spam in small amounts, but it did go down the drain. Some of the recent posts been locked (heck, a few of mine were instantly locked) but what the heck. Sh*t happens.

Sure, I've gripes with Ivan, but I've gripes with some mods, cos they're mods :p

My point is; Ivan has done what he was given the job to do. Moderate. And he's done a good job of it.

He's human.

Also, I'm not going to take sides here, but I want to make this clear.

He could have just done a permnament-ban on a few people, but he didn't.
    He put up this thread, so that ye could vent your anger at him.
    Dictatorships don't do this.

As for democracy, it isn't practised here. Why should it? A nice guy hosts this, so the golden rule applies. He has the gold, he makes the rules.

Thus, with mods, they make the rules. No if's or but's. I've seen the other communities.
    There, you spam too often, you get permnament-ban.
    Here I've seen alot of spam. Some of the old posts were pure spam.
    And no permnament-ban.

So I think Ivan has been pretty fair.

Ivan
    I was just shocked when Senor_fudge, someone who apparently doesnt know UnrealQueen at all, should come along and defend her

I was defending her honour sir and will do so again!

Originally posted by Senor_Fudge
    Ivan

I was defending her honour sir and will do so again!

While throwing cheap cider all over the floor ?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement