Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Netsource Product?

• 10-03-2004 7:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭

I got an email saying that the new netsource product is at €33 ... I have asked to find out if that is including VAT or not ... there is a €45 charge to go from SOHO to the new product ... there is no domain and no email ... they did not indicate Cap size etc ... I have emailed back with all these questions and more and will post when the answers arrive

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I forgot to mention that the email came from Netsource and they said they had only just now finalized the pricing.... the existing SOHO product is still there at 24:1 contention and at the same price....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

I also received similar e-mail few days ago. Netsource is introducing two new products, one is scaled-down that costs €33 ex VAT per month. Contention ratio is 48:1 and download cap is 16GB. No fixed IP but free e-mails and web hosting. Yes, you have to pay €45 x VAT to downgrade to this package.

The other package is similar to SOHO except that extra fixed IP adds given and of course, free e-mail and web hosting. Contention ratio is 24:1 and dload cap still 16GB. The access fee is the same €45 ex VAT per month. ISDN backup is also available.

I see no point of changing to any of those packages because I'm quite happy with SOHO's 24:1 contention ratio. Free e-mails and web hosting have no use to me. Not surprising, if you want to get rid of SOHO and turn to any of these new products, you have to cancel current contract at a cost of €75 ex VAT and sign up a new contract for €81.81 ex VAT. That's another reason that I am not going anywhere near these new packages.

The conclusion? Nothing is fascinating about the new packages. Except that it will cost you more to move around to convert. Therefore, I choose to stay with SOHO and at the end of the day, I believe when I gonna finish off my contract with Netsource one day, they will certainly give me another bill for €75 ex VAT. Thank you very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Therefore, I choose to stay with SOHO and at the end of the day, I believe when I gonna finish off my contract with Netsource one day, they will certainly give me another bill for €75 ex VAT

I'm on soho...I think :)
    The present package for €67incl-Vat a month with 16gb traffic cap is called soho, or is soho the 108 a month one ?

Talk about confusion :)

I'll wait for definite news before i decide what to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Originally posted by gurramok
    The present package for €67incl-Vat a month with 16gb traffic cap is called soho, or is soho the 108 a month one ?
    That's SOHO you're on. But they say the 16GB cap won't apply to it any more, just the 24:1 package. The €108 package is SME.

So for soho users, whats changing ? :)

All i see is that for SME, there will be 24:1, yeh ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Jonnie_Onion

Originally posted by Mr. Pink
    That's SOHO you're on. But they say the 16GB cap won't apply to it any more, just the 24:1 package. The €108 package is SME.

I emailed Joan Keane regarding the cap and she said that the 16Gb would stay in place for those remaining on the 24:1 package. Now whether this was only an interim situation until the new pricing schemes went official I don't know. Will the cap definitely be lifted for those remaining on 24:1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

I was told by them that the existing SOHO would go to 24:1 but that the 16GB cap will not change.
    The charge is still €45 + 9.45 VAT = €55 unless you dont pay vat of course(but if you dont pay vat then the same packages are available for less than €40 from the other providers too).

The new package is €33 + €6.93 VAT = €40 -with 8GB CAP, no fixed IP and 48:1

You dont have to pay for the domain name anymore, but this of course is still a ripoff when compared to the ESAT and UTV packages which are quaoted including the VAT.
    UTV and ESAT do not require you to pay a disconnection charge either.

If you staying on Netsource so that you dont have to pay the disconnection charge then shame on you. You should know that this is their tactic to keep charging over the odds for your broadband connection and should not stand for it.

One more thing. Why don't Netsource update their website. The new prices are not there. They still say NO Download limit on the SOHO on their pricing page. Tis is not the case since god knows when.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

If thats the case I think I'll ring them and get rid of the domain name thing, save myself €10 a month, I'll also ask them about the cap, I dont do much downloading any more but it'd be nice to know I could if I needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

I can confirm that the SOHO remains at same price but with 24:1 contention.

The new 33 euro deal has only 8gb download cap.

All you need to do is email netsource requesting they drop the domain service and they will credit you back (in theory) for any charges since their internal policy change on domain service being mandatory.

Still seems overpriced, but the performance for me anyhow has always been pretty decent. I know others have had issues, but I can only tell you that I've got the steady eddy 53K/sec download since it was installed.

c0y0te

I agree, Performance has been good lately but price is ridiculous.
    even without the domain.
    UTV less vat for the same package is €24.79

Thats €8 less.

All you get for that with Netsource ius a 60 day contract as opposed to 12 months from UTV.
    This may suit some though but for €8 a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Its looking like Netsource are counting on customer inertia to keep their custom .... its a bit like people not bothering to change broadband provider away from eircom because its too much hassle .... I will be changing, to IOL I suppose, but I'll wait to see if there are any horror stories ... and I also want to see how people get on with not paying the disconnection fee if it wasnt in their original contract...

I still think that it is unprofessional not to have the ACTUAL situation with going over 16GB plainly shown and its also a bit stupid to have their new products being advertised by word of mouth :rolleyes: ...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

I'm probably going to change in May myself, in fact I better put in my 60 day notice this evening. Eircom here I come! (not the face)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Right it was my turn to ring them and I got some pretty concrete details:

==CURRENT SOHO PRODUCT (@ €45 per month Ex. Vat)==

* 16GB *DOWNLOAD* limit
    * NO upload limit
    * 24:1 Contention ratio
    * Done on a 2-month rolling contract
    * Static IP address
    * You CAN drop the domain name charge by sending them an e-mail. Any change will only be effective from the NEXT bill.

Thus including VAT the price is 45 + 9 = €54 per month.

==NEW PRODUCT (@ €33 per month Ex. Vat) ==

* 8GB DOWNLOAD limit
    * 4GB UPLOAD limit
    * 48:1 Contention ratio
    * 12 month minimum rolling contract
    * Dynamic IP address (and thus no domain)

Thus the cost, including VAT, is 33 + 8.10 = €41 per month

==COST OF CHANGING SERVICES==

To change from the current SOHO to the new package you will incur the following charges:
    1) €45 change over cost
    2) €75 disconnection charge for your account
    3) €81 to connect to the new account

The charge is thus: 45 + 75 + 81 + VAT = €243 ... NOT WORTH IT!!!!

==DISCONNECTING FROM NETSOURCE==

The cost of disconnecting from Netsource is €45 (+21% VAT = €54). You need to give 60 days notice (and I specifically asked was it working days and told it was just days). Your service will only be disconnected AFTER the sixty days have expired so you'd be advised to inform them just around the time of billing.

... Right hope that helps.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Originally posted by ixoy

==COST OF CHANGING SERVICES==

To change from the current SOHO to the new package you will incur the following charges:
    1) €45 change over cost
    2) €75 disconnection charge for your account
    3) €81 to connect to the new account

The charge is thus: 45 + 75 + 81 + VAT = €243 ... NOT WORTH IT!!!!

€243 to downgrade, have they lost the plot completely?? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

There's absolutely no way that can be right. If you are changing over then you don't get disconnected and reconnected, so it should be just the changeover cost. The whole point of it is that you don't have to. If you were disconnecting and then reconnecting then why would you also be paying for a change over? It'd be a totally new account. Sounds like whoever you were talking to didn't have a clue.

When is the effective date that the current soho package changes to as quoted :

*snip*
    ==CURRENT SOHO PRODUCT (@ €45 per month Ex. Vat)==

* 16GB *DOWNLOAD* limit
    * NO upload limit
    * 24:1 Contention ratio
    * Done on a 2-month rolling contract
    * Static IP address
    * You CAN drop the domain name charge by sending them an e-mail. Any change will only be effective from the NEXT bill.

Thus including VAT the price is 45 + 9 = €54 per month
    *snip*

Is this done automatically or the customer has to force it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

woohoo, netsource rule. Go netsource!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

So is there the same charge for upgrading from soho to the 1024/256 line?

The bit i dont get is why do they not publish these details on their priceing page on their website.
    Surely this would let people know once and for all how much they cost.
    The only reason i can think of is so that people (who dont read boards) dont see it. Its just like their download cap. They dont publish this on the page where they advertise their prices. You have to dig really deep to find anything about it. Is this illegal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Originally posted by talla
    So is there the same charge for upgrading from soho to the 1024/256 line?

I gather there is no charge to upgrade and it takes a day or so.

Yep confirmed with Netsource, no charge for upgrading.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Interesting that it's free to upgrade - no doubt because they're gaining more money that way.

I'm unsure what to do now. Removing the domain name sees me paying about 7 euro more a month than the equivalent IOL package. However, to switch to the IOL Advantage Plus package will cost more money than would be saved. It looks like I'm sticking with what I've got (and ensuring I milk my 16GB SOHO download cap!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

I'd also like to point out I'm on the SOHO server which is identical to the 'Origin Plus' option, however I dont have the 100 megs of webspace, to get it I'd have to cancel the soho then get origin plus. To much hassle for me to be honest, anyway i've been meaning to get onto blacknight for the last age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

It should be noted that the webspace is a sub-folder format - ie: you dont get yourdomain.com you get providerdomain/broadband/user

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I thought sub-domain was username.serviceprovider.tld ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭raphaelS

There's something I don't get on your table... there's up to 4 IP address for OriginPlus?? !

Raphael

Well heres a good story about Netsource for once. I sent an email enquiring about pricing for the 1024/256 package yesterday morning, got a reply with the details telling me all I had to do was reply and to the email stating I would like to upgrade. I replied yestreday afternoon stating i wanted to upgrade from SOHO. My connection went dead about 20 minutes ago, came back 5 minutes later and now i'm on the 1meg service. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

and how much that 1024/256 line cost u?

• Advertisement

€85 ex vat(€102inc vat)

Advertisement