Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Josh Ritter - Hello Starling (Acoustic album)

Options
  • 10-03-2004 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

Anybody that likes acoustic singer-songwriter stuff in any way.. GET THIS ALBUM!
    It is fantastic.
    Took a wee while to grow on me it's currently my favourite..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I`m having a look for it, does it compare to anything else, maybe do a track by track listing ?

"Get this album its fantastic" might not sway many people

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Here’s a mixture of album review quotes and general press quotes…

“…Mr Ritter’s kindly intelligence shines.”
    – New York Times

"Hello Starling truly is one of the landmark records of this year."
    - The Irish Times

“The best young songwriter we've got...
    Josh Ritter may be the Norah Jones of 2004.”
    – Details magazine

"Crafted with the sort of simple, burnished depth that transcends eras and turns
    26-year-old tunesmiths into folk heroes....there's not a weak link in this collection."
    - Boston Globe

"The 11 tracks that make up Starling seem to almost glow with the warmth of truth, sincerity, and beauty." (9 out of 10)
    - Hotpress

“Ritter's Hello Starling is a feast for the ears.”
    - Associated Press

“There's real grace and poetic detail in Ritter's songwriting, and the
    music accents his gift for melody and emotion. But it’s his guileless joy
    and lack of artifice that set him apart.”
    - Los Angeles Times

“The legend of Josh Ritter is already airbourne.”
    - The Guardian (UK)

"Ritter's is the rare type of songwriting: untouched by affectation, embroidered with a quietly plaintive voice and sparse melodies, and with words expressive of another time and place - intangible and idyllic, full of longing and nostalgia, with imagery that awakens even the inanimate."
    – Village Voice

"Captures the sparse elegance of Nick Drake’s Pink Moon, the gritty passion of Neil Young’s Harvest, and the melodic charm of Cat Steven’s Tea for the Tillerman."
    - Maxim

" He says he’s a drifter from Idaho, but listeners of Ritter’s latest may theorize that he’s the love child of Nick Drake. When he sings a line like ‘My wings are made of hay and cornhusks, so I can’t leave this world behind,’ you’ll demand a birth certificate."
    - Details

"Not that Dylan, Springsteen, and Van Zandt (Townes, that is) comparisons should be bandied about freely, but the 25 year-old Idaho-born Josh Ritter is one of those rare performers who can bend genres into a seamless wonder without giving much thought to the whole process…’Golden Age of Radio' is a rare gift of natural, intuitive beauty and is damn near perfect."
    - San Francisco Bay Guardian

"Josh Ritter has a wonderfully evocative, raw voice that echoes with rock ‘n’ roll’s past, and a savvy lyrical sense that enriches its present… an instant charmer."
    - No Depression

" If only radio were in the midst of a golden age that sounded one tenth as sweet as singer/songwriter Josh Ritter’s latest release… Ritter constructs such loving and tuneful melodies about small-town life and general life crises, he almost convinces the listener that they’ve heard these nuggets somewhere on late-night AM radio."
    - CMJ

"Josh Ritter proves that the old folky verities — an acoustic guitar, a gruffly sincere voice — can still be the makings of songs that tell riveting stories or conjure up extravagant romance."
    - The New York Times

"He creates brilliant narratives in his songs that are reminiscent of the breezy humour of Arlo Guthrie and the rootsiness of Bob Dylan…he creates characters full of pathos, wit, and optimism. It seems unfair, though, to merely cite the greats of the genre, whose footsteps Ritter inevitably has to tread. He is neither a soundalike nor a wannabe, and at 25, is already creating powerful music that belies his age and experience."
    - The Irish Times

" [There] is emotional heft and unvarnished truth to his performances, and to the dozen tracks that make up Golden Age … Like Springsteen, Townes Van Zandt, and John Prine, he’s a traditionalist who blurs genre lines among folk, country, and pop, bringing to mind kindred spirits like Gillian Welch."
    - The Boston Phoenix

" It is Ritter’s ability to start and carry a story forward, with no false steps musically, that lifts this project. He conveys utter confidence in his ability to win listeners the old fashioned way—by making them believe…. There is undeniable poetry in his lyrics."
    - The Daily Hampshire Gazette

" An extraordinary new talent whose work has a beguiling, timeless quality."
    - The Irish Examiner

http://www.joshritter.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

Originally posted by bazH
    "Get this album its fantastic" might not sway many people
    What he said.. (monument that is) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

Peronsally I prefer both his previous albums to Hello starling, if I was only to buy one of his albums I'd make it Golden Age of Radio

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

Cool... I just got that one (haven't listened to it yet but lookin forward to it now!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement