Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Supporting other clubs

• 10-03-2004 8:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

I'm a Man United supporter for England but I always wondered do many other people support foreign clubs aswell.

For example by favorite Spanish club is Barcelona, and my favorite Italian club is AC Milan, France Lyon.
    I developed all these as a kid, watching channel 4 and being in a pub :P

Does anyone else support foreign clubs and get very tied between them when they play each other.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I am a Manchester United supporter, I would find it impossible to support another club, no matter who they are.

Sure enough, I do go to Tolka Park to watch Shelbourne wheneve I can, most weeks usually, except when I'm in work late(like tonight), but I don't support them, I have no love for them. I go down because my Brother is a die-hard Shels fan, and I like to go down and sample the eircom league.

I am certainly not a fan of Glasgow Celtic, as I cannot stand the bigotry associated with Scottish Football.

I am a fan of La Liga, but hold no candle for any club that plays in it. Similarly, I don't dislike any one team in it either, except if they happen to be playing against Manchester United at the time, then I hate them!

I think the Italian league is too technical, but AC Milan will the Champions League(now United are gone of course).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Originally posted by PHB
    I always wondered do many other people support foreign clubs aswell.

Everyone here does mainly in england ;p

Mine are Bochum in Germany (used to live there seen them every week,they tried to play football in a non footballing league)
    France PSG (seen them a few times )
    Italy AC (been there also )
    Spain Barca (again been there )
    Belgium KAA Gent (cos we stuffed em last year lost on away goals but still stuffed em at home)
    England noone really love watching it tho
    Moldova Zimbru for the clinical manner they stuffed us 5-0 home and away :)

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

yeh, i think everyone has certain teams they have soft spots for, for whatever reason.

Personally its Inter (cos a mate is an AC fan), Barca and ajax. I wouldnt 'support' these teams but id keep an eye on them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Originally posted by KdjaC
    Everyone here does mainly in england ;p

Mine are Bochum in Germany (used to live there seen them every week,they tried to play football in a non footballing league)
    France PSG (seen them a few times )
    Italy AC (been there also )
    Spain Barca (again been there )
    Belgium KAA Gent (cos we stuffed em last year lost on away goals but still stuffed em at home)
    England noone really love watching it tho
    Moldova Zimbru for the clinical manner they stuffed us 5-0 home and away :)

kdjac

OK then, in that case I have a team in the Welsh Premier League, on the pretense of having visited a town a couple of times, Carmarthen Town.

But you gotta love T.N.S. top of the WPL, and they are what looks like a Company Kickabout team for want of a better word!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

The only team i support is Celtic. Other than that I would follow the Irish players, preferably Duff. If Duff is playing for Chelsea I cheer them on but if he's out I couldn't care about them.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Originally posted by Dustaz
    yeh, i think everyone has certain teams they have soft spots for, for whatever reason.

Personally its Inter (cos a mate is an AC fan), Barca and ajax. I wouldnt 'support' these teams but id keep an eye on them
    Same. Only Italy-wise, when Football Italia was on C4 my mate followed Inter so i cheered on AC. I quite like Barca too, brother lives outside Barcelona and ive been to see them play in the Nou Camp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

I support Roma, Aston Villa and Ajax(in that order) when roma were playing ajax in the cl last year i supported roma cos i prefer them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

I was bought up following Liverpool and Celtic - all my brothers followed them... therefore i did as well... but after seeing them play Sunderland in the Coke Cola Cup many moons ago .. I have adopted Sunderland as my "Second" English club... with GH managing Liverpool and the style that Liverpool play.. atm I find it hard to watch them.. I havent got a Liverpool jersey in years (since the *spice boys left* :( )

*Celtic are the only team that i have gone and seen.. nearly went to see Sunderland last year but i had to work :( *

I also used to follow NY/NJ Metrostars from USA .. cos It was a fan of Roberto Donadoni (former AC milan and Italy player) and I used to stay up late and watch them on Channel 5.. I got a jersey aswell .... but lost interest when he stopped playing. <many years ago>

In Ireland I support Derry City - go when i can..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭AmenToThat

Celtic are the only team for me
    Certainly the only team I ever have or will ever travelled to see outside Ireland.
    Have been to a few Shamrock Rovers games here though over the years, think its those green n white hoops!
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

ok yeah i forgot about rovers. i support them too

• Advertisement
Advertisement