Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ME/XP Pro partion problem

Options
  • 10-03-2004 9:00pm
    Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭

2 hard disks in a machine
    1 x 20 gig
    1 x 120 gig

120 gig partioned into three drives: 20/50/50 gigs
    All formated as fat32 disk

Up until last friday both ME and XP could see all partitions correctly.
    now:

ME sees:
    C: 20 gig disk
    d: 20 gig partition
    e: 50 gig partition
    f: 50 gig partition
    g: 50 gig partition -> same contents as e:

XP Pro sees:
    C: 20 gig disk
    d: 20 gig partition
    e: unreadable
    f: 50 gig partition

fdisk (both an ME version and a linux version) see the partitons correctly

anyone see this before? any idea how to fix it? what else do you need to know?
    I'm assuming that if I delete the broken partition and recreate it and format it, it will be okay but that isn't solving the underlying problem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭daywalker

Which Drives/Partitions are ME and XP booting from? The only reason that XP cannot see a partition,IMO, is if the Master Boot Record has been damaged/altered in some way.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

me from C:, xp from D:

would a fdisk /mbr fix it then?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭daywalker

This will only reset the MBR, you could lose access to all partitions this way.
    check this article out:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/Q69/0/13.ASP&NoWebContent=1

If you have any important data on the unseen partition, copy it to another partition in ME, and the in XP, reformat the partition in XP's Disk Management Tools. Go to control panel>>Administrative tools>>Computer Management>>Disk Management and format using the tools in this section. XP will then rewite the MBR allowing XP to see it again.

Advertisement