Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live band performances (for download)

• 10-03-2004 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭

If you've got some unused download allowance, or just want to make better use of your connection, here's something i found out recently.

Sharing the groove is an excellant source for legal downloads of live performances (both audio and video) of loads of bands. Personally i've gotten a few bits and bobs off it in the last few days (well, about 15 gigs of radiohead stuff, and still going.) I can't recommend this enough if you're a big music fan.

p.s. if this is in the wrong forum, move it to the right one, i think this is the appropriate one though.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Nope its perfect..

We rarely see posts here about what to access with your broadband.

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Mutant_Fruit,
    Where / How do you download concerts. I went looking for a concert and was asked to download - msp1997-05-24.sdb.shnf.torrent
    What sort of file is this?
    thegills

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by thegills
    I went looking for a concert and was asked to download - msp1997-05-24.sdb.shnf.torrent
    What sort of file is this?

It's a Bit Torrent file. Go to versiontracker.com and download a bit torrent client, and then open that file within the client and it will start to download the file from all the hosts who are currently downloading it. You have to upload the file while downloading it or else you'll get really slow d/load speeds. So it deters the leachers :)))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

OK, firstly, the .torrent means that it is a bittorrent file. To download these, you need a bittorrent client. My personal recommendation is burst. After thats installed, just run the bittorrent file, or manually open it in Burst.

Also, that show is a music only show (not video) and is encoded with the shorten codec, which means no quality is lost when its compressed. You'll have to download a decoder for that for whatever mp3 player you generally use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Mutant_Fruit
    I am currently d/l a .torrent file. When complete what type of audio file will I have on my harddisk or will the file only be playable in realtime?
    thegills

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

If you're referring to the torrent listed abouve, it'll be a shorten audio file, which is very similar to mp3, except that no data is thrown away when the file is encoded, its still full quailty. Shorten is just like zipping up a file with winzip.

The winamp plugin to play this is found here. If you use windows media player, i think it'll automatically download the codec, and if you use something else, a quick google will find you the right codec.

Advertisement