Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

System Shock 2

Options
  • 10-03-2004 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

i originally got this game around 4 years ago and played it for a week or too - disc got scratched and couldnt get it to run anymore.it's one the greatest games ever and i'm looking everywhere to find it again.amazon have it but its like €45 and i was just wondering if anyone knows anywhere online i could pick it up or alternatively in cork.I can dload it from ww.the-underdogs.org for free but its missing all the in game movies etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

There are 4 on eBay available to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Look at you hacker. A pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect immortal machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Seeing as you bought the game, if you've got broadband I highly recommend you download a backup of it for yourself.
    I douhbt they still support the "faulty media replacement for a tenner" thing still.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Speedway

Thanks RobertFoster for looking on e-bay for me, v. sound.hopefully gonna get one from them.Excellent condition one for £9.99

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

just download it, if you look at the free games thread sticky you would see that its abandon ware and available to download

linkage - http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?gameid=3924

saves you buying it...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

You should buy the game, as the movies are cool. especially the intro and end movie. Shodan's voice freaks me out. as does Xerxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Speedway

thanks big chief i would download it but when you do you don't get any of the in game movies etc and prob wouldnt get the end of the game movie - which would kinda suck

Dude, if I had a CDR I'd send you a copy of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I just finished the abandonware version and yeah the movies would have helped. But I finished it and feel good about myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭patch

This will depend on Amp telling me if this is allowed or not, but I have a copy and a burner.
    If anybody wants a copy of it, send me a cdr (or two, can't remember if its 1 disc or 2.....) and a stamped addressed envelope, and I'll send it back to you.
    Send me an extra disc and I'll burn all the mods and enhancments I found as well.

Cheers,
    Pat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Copying abandonware is fine. I'll revise the charter to reflect this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

that be great patch as I cant seem to download it from underdogs , keep getting an error

Just one question:
    Is there a reason (aside from making the download more manageable) that the Underdogs have left out the video?

Right so chaps, anybody who needs a copy, send me an auld PM and I'll send on my address. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

thanks big chief i would download it but when you do you don't get any of the in game movies etc and prob wouldnt get the end of the game movie - which would kinda suck

Download it and I'll send you the game movies compressed. In total tis about 13 megs.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Celtic Tiger

Any word on a System Shock 3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Senor_Fudge

i hated that game
    sorry lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Originally posted by Celtic Tiger
    Any word on a System Shock 3?

Unfortunately never-the developers are gone a few years now as far as i know.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Don't give up hope. The creator Warren Spectre is working with Ion Storm and is currently developing Thief 3. Lets hope that he decides to revisit System Shock for his next project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Agent Orange

Originally posted by amp
    Copying abandonware is fine. I'll revise the charter to reflect this.

Even though the games in question are still copyrighted and copying them is illegal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The whole point of abandonware is that the game can no longer be found in the shops, and the company are no longer making any revenue from it. Technically, its illegal, but realistically its a bit of a gray area.

- Dave.

Originally posted by Agent Orange
    Even though the games in question are still copyrighted and copying them is illegal?

Seriously Buddy..... Keep your helpful comments to yourself.

Originally posted by Agent Orange

heh , your not screwing the company out of money as they are not selling the game anymore , they dont care if its copied - actually im sure they'd like as many people as possible to play it. Whats the point in comments like that

R.I.P. Looking Glass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Mark, think you could set up somwhere to download those movies from?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

It'd be really handy if you could. www.freewebs.com have 50 megs free space if you need somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

I have the video files uncompressed available for download, as I have limited bandwidth available I don't want every fecker on the web downloading it as it's 88mb as a .rar file but if any boards members want to download it pm me for the url.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Originally posted by TmB
    The whole point of abandonware is that the game can no longer be found in the shops, and the company are no longer making any revenue from it. Technically, its illegal, but realistically its a bit of a gray area.

- Dave.

Yeah, this is quite true. Emulation is a somewhat grey area as well I find. I'm fully supportive of old systems emulation, but I frown on emulation of more current systems, but I'm okay with the actual emulators themselves. Saying that though, provided you have the actual games CD legitimately, I don't see the problem with playing it on a PC via an emulator, as you've already paid for the actual game. However, with more modern emulation, you have to tweak the emulator to work well...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Originally posted by Tusky
    heh , your not screwing the company out of money as they are not selling the game anymore , they dont care if its copied - actually im sure they'd like as many people as possible to play it. Whats the point in comments like that

There's probably a lot of people who never got to play certain games, and abandonware is an excellent way of actually being able to play the games you missed first time round.

• Advertisement

yea thats my point kennet... :dunno:

Advertisement