Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post/Math Rock is the gateway <---

• 11-03-2004 12:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Is anyone into any of the following bands or does anyone have any oppinions on post/math-rock in general :

Mogwai
    Godspeed You Black Emporer
    Mars Volta
    Slint
    Don Caballero
    The Six Parts Seven
    Akarso
    Billy Mahonie
    Fugazi
    At the drive-in
    Drive Like Jehu
    Helmet
    Le Savy Fav
    The Oxes
    Shellac
    Sweep the leg johnny
    Check Engine
    Rodan
    Shipping News
    Tortoise
    Slint
    Isis
    June Of 44
    Explosions in the sky

These are my favourite bands... this is a quote about this type of music which might encourage others who might like the more mainstream rock bands to look up on this incredible genre :

"Take the intricacy and complexity of classic weirdo hard rock bands, then add some of punk's hyperspasmodic schizophrenia, and you'll have a legitimate math rock contender. Math rock bands take pleasure in being erratic and unpredictable, often experimenting with peculiar tempos and jazz-derived rhythms while keeping the rock hard and aggressive all the while. Their lyrics tend to be as cerebral and expertly designed as their songs. These bands are rock's architects of the future, recrafting and reinventing the genre's tired song structures"

These are the irish post rock bands i know of, if anyone else knows or is in any please leave a post here...:

Redneck Manifesto (Dublin)
    Kader Fire (Limerick) <
    my band
    10 past 7 (kerry)
    Rest (cork)
    Waiting Room (cork)

any oppinions are welcomed!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Last time i heard anyone talk about them, Helmet were straight edge rock, and Fugazi were punk. (Tbh i think theyre a bit old to be considered post metal)
    I didnt think At the drive in were math rock either. *shrugs* maybe im wrong, but so far the only band ive heard that could be described as 'Math metal' would be Meshuggah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

I really hate Mogwai. I haven't been able to figure out why, but I really think they're brutal.

Other than that I love Godspeed, Don Caballero and Billy Mahonie. Some of the others aren't bad.

The Oxes were fun because of their radio mics when I saw them play Whealans but they played after the Rednecks and i've yet to see a band outplay them. Also their music was ****. The Rednecks destroyed Fugazi when they supported them as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Math what? They're a genre? To me, it's all Alt. Rock.

Volta, Mogwai, ATDI, Shipping news = good

Fugazi, Black Emperor, Don Caberello = bad

The rest, never heard their stuff, and haven't heard of most of them,

And now, excuse me, I have maiden to listen to :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I've always thought the term "Math Rock" or "Math Metal" to be nothing but rubbish.
    A dreadfull label altogether.

While I do certainly enjoy some of the bands mentioned, like Godspeed You Black Emperor (Always thought they were prog rock myself) there's a lot of psuedo-intellectualism being spouted by that quote/discription of 'Math Rock' that really falters, such as using big words like "Hyperspasmodic" to disguise what is essentially a punk sound. Just doesn't wash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

A dreadfull label altogether.
    - damn right.

I've never heard a more idiotic term in my life. MATH Rock?
    Why is classification necessary in the first place? Generally speaking - ok, but Math rock?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

ye that whole area is kinda devoid of a genre title..... that stuff is "post-hardcore" or some crap

is was sure that "math metal" meant the likes of Dillinger Escape Plan, SiKTh and The Locust.

id consider Meshuggah "experimental" rather than (yawn) "math-metal"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kev_from_lim

Ok, I was completely generalising when i classed a few of those bands under math/post rock.

I wouldnt class helmet post rock, I'd class At The Drive-In 'post hardcore', i'd class Fugazi 'post punk'.

Civilian target - "Alt" rock - i mean, is that not one of the biggest generalisations in music??? can you define 'alt' rock to me? - (im not being sarcastic...really!)

i dont like mogwai as much as i would the rest of them, but i've seen them twice and they blew me away somehow. As for the oxes, i saw them live also and thought they were pretty messy - but fun! then bought their albums and realised how savagely brilliant the musicianship was.

I agree with the proposterous terming of 'math' rock - but thats what the americans call it. i prefer to call it post-rock because it has such space for originality.

To anyone who might like one or two bands from the below list ye should seriously check out some of the rest - www.epitonic.com - is a great place for downloading.

The rednecks are probably my favourite irish band, but they do take a lot from 'don caballero' i think..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Yep. Rock that isn't either defined as Metal or Mainstream Rock. I'm not into genres myself, I only have 5 genres in my head: Good, Bad, Classical, Cheesey and Country & Western.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Mishing different timings isn't something worthy of a new genre, like it's not THAT hard to mess around timings, as long as you have the time to go through it a few times with your band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kev_from_lim

Mr. Giblet, i beg to differ my friend. Seriously messing with timings such as the likes of 'sweep the leg johnny', 'Don Caballero' and 'Brass Knuckles For Tough Guys' takes serious musical intelligence; concentration, memory, technique, co-ordination... not many people have all these atributes no matter how well they can play solo's.

I think its worthy of the genre 'post rock' personally. Im in a post rock band myself and we try our best to push our boundries as much as we can (15hour jamming sessions!) -> its headwrecking to practice, but eventually it all falls into place and its so much fun to play at a gig in oppose to all this basic 4chord stuff.

Anyone heard of 'storm and stress' - its the two main don caballero guys side project - its amazing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement